Chook Coops

More
11 years 8 months ago #32522 by Scuba_Steve
Chook Coops was created by Scuba_Steve
Now that mine is all but finished, I thought it would be a good time to seek advise on how to build them...
Some of you are probably thinking "shouldn't you have done this before you started building"? & the answer is, probably... But hey, wheres the fun in that right?
So what should I have? I'm considering commercial grade lino for the flooring to protect the floor boards & make cleaning easier (is this recommended???),
there is still time for adjustment the internals are still bare & the roof is still to go on. The coop itself is elevated & currently sits at a small 1600lx1400wx1200h(excluding elevation)

Science is but an organized system of ignorance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #434181 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Chook Coops
1.2m high - how do you plan on cleaning out this coop - bent over or on your knees?:confused: :D :D

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
11 years 8 months ago #434182 by Huggiechook
Replied by Huggiechook on topic Chook Coops
most common mistake I see has to do with the height of the perch. It needs to be higher than the nest box (or anything else that chooks could sit on) - otherwise they will sleep in the nestbox which promotes broodieness and shitty eggs (;o)

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

More
11 years 8 months ago #434185 by jimminette
Replied by jimminette on topic Chook Coops

Huggiechook;432817 wrote: most common mistake I see has to do with the height of the perch. It needs to be higher than the nest box (or anything else that chooks could sit on) - otherwise they will sleep in the nestbox which promotes broodieness and shitty eggs (;o)

Can you please tell my silke frizzles that please. :D

More
11 years 8 months ago #434188 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Chook Coops
I had my houses built on a frame 700mm up off the ground. It has been a godsend as I can get the wheelbarrow under the door and just scoop the shavings into it with the rake. My back will be forever grateful :-)

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
11 years 8 months ago #434191 by Scuba_Steve
Replied by Scuba_Steve on topic Chook Coops

Blueberry;432816 wrote: 1.2m high - how do you plan on cleaning out this coop - bent over or on your knees?:confused: :D :D

well original plan was to have an opening at the back & to be able to blast it from one side & out the other till the misses decided she wanted to climb in it... there is still time to heighten & A frame the roof to add height. This was one of my concerns should I make it higher??? other thing is too at highest point it's already 2200mm off ground (section slightly slopped)

Huggiechook;432817 wrote: most common mistake I see has to do with the height of the perch. It needs to be higher than the nest box (or anything else that chooks could sit on) - otherwise they will sleep in the nestbox which promotes broodieness and shitty eggs (;o)

Currently there is no perch or nest boxes, what is required exactly for each??? I have heard people talk about cock perches too where they are strategically placed so the cock can get onto it but not enough room for him to lift his head & thus can't perform the wakeup call

Cinsara;432824 wrote: I had my houses built on a frame 700mm up off the ground. It has been a godsend as I can get the wheelbarrow under the door and just scoop the shavings into it with the rake. My back will be forever grateful :-)

ours is 1000mm off ground at it's highest point probably round 700mm at it's lowest? This is actually doubling as sheep/goat shelter too (which they're quite enjoying)

Science is but an organized system of ignorance

More
11 years 8 months ago #434192 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Chook Coops
'Cock perches' are an old wife's tale. Roosters can crow hunched down in a cardboard carton (I know this from experience).

The coops we have are 600mm to 1m high and can either be lifted off their base and tipped onto their sides for cleaning purposes or they have a removeable roof.

Forget 'blasting' the dirt out. It's usually caked and sticks to the floor, sometimes needs to be chiseled off[xx(], especially if your hens can come and go as they please, bringing back wet feet and scratching the litter material out of their house.

More
11 years 8 months ago #434196 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Chook Coops

Currently there is no perch or nest boxes, what is required exactly for each???

One nest per 5 birds-but a minimum of two is best if only 5 birds-so they have a choice.

Make sure the lip at the front of the nest is high enough to provide for at least 5cm of litter to stay within the nest and the hen to be able to sit down below the lip-a 10cm board is suitable.

Perches- allow 15cm per bird (this is Layer hen welfare code allowance)

Don't forget to allow some form of ventilation if the door is shut. Remember it might get hot in the summer if they are on high perches under a tin roof. A vent under the eaves, covered in netting, will allow air to circulate. (Cold air in through the chook door and hot air out under the eaves.)

Have some sort of a threshold board at the door so the litter doesn't fall out when it is opened. Same applies to the pop hole-door way for chickens-make it a bit higher than the floor inside, so there is room for the litter on the floor, without it coming out through their access door.

Lino on the floor would be fine, but if you ever get red mite they will love to live underneath it. Marine ply would be just as easy to clean as lino/vinyl and without the hiding places for bugs and insects underneath.

If you put a thick layer of shavings (10 to 15cm) on the floor, and keep it dry, you won't need to clean out so often and it will just require sweeping before washing!

If you have a ramp leading up to the door for the hens it will help clean their feet before they walk in.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 8 months ago #434231 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Chook Coops
Not really relevant to an elevated coop, but if you search back for threads I started, in umm..... 2008 I think, there is a thread on making my chook house with a discussion of pros and cons of how and why things are done from the critiquing experts...

A big point for me was making my (ground based) coop tall enough to run round in after chooks in the run.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds