What to do about calf with hoof pulled off?

More
11 years 9 months ago #433123 by LongRidge
Some animals, and some humans, feel pain differently than we conceive it. I have had about 35,000 injections ..... some hurt and some don't, and no doubt the same has happened to you. The woman the other day that died of flu was mordidly afraid of needles. I'll bet the pain of the needle would have been better than death .... unless you have an irrational concept of pain. I have heard from dentists and doctors that have treated children in Africa. Their pain threshold is sometimes so high that they can undergo operations without pain relief that children in NZ would need to be general anaesthetisised.
I have killed animals to put them out of their misery. I do that less now because I have seen some miraculous recoveries.
Back in the good old days before anaesthetics, amputations of limbs had to be done without pain relief. Those people that survived the infections often lived long and sometimes useful lives. They may well have wanted to die at the time, but not after healing had occurred.
Most certainly treat an injured animal against infection. Most certainly bandage it to hasten healing. But never assume that because you think that it might be suffering from pain that you should kill it.
If we have to kill calves because they have lost a toenail, then we most certainly should destroy every animal that gets a sore hoof, because that most assuredly does hurt. Cowvet, do you insist on immediate destruction of any animal that has a sore hoof? By your logic, you should.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #433131 by gemini kiwi
Call a vet in to assess this poor little animal immediately.

More
11 years 9 months ago #433136 by Hawkspur
Some individuals, of whatever species, do have a genetic predisposition to tolerate greater pain, and a very few others can tolerate what would normally be extreme pain. Strong pain can also be tolerated relatively briefly, but not for long periods. In fact sensitivity tends to increase as the pain goes on.
I believe most people would agree that it is not ethical to assume that an individual has a high pain tolerance.

More
11 years 9 months ago #433137 by DMW999
I'm with you on this one cowvet. In all my years of calving etc I've never seen it happen either, like you say it should be impossible if done correctly. I do hope whoever did this doesn't ever attempt it again!! I think the vet should be called and their advice followed.

More
11 years 9 months ago #433146 by cowvet

LongRidge;431660 wrote: Some animals, and some humans, feel pain differently than we conceive it.
If it were possible for you to conceive (ie, get pregnant) then i would suspect that you may perceive pain quite differently.

I have had about 35,000 injections ..... some hurt and some don't, and no doubt the same has happened to you. The woman the other day that died of flu was mordidly afraid of needles. I'll bet the pain of the needle would have been better than death .... unless you have an irrational concept of pain. I have heard from dentists and doctors that have treated children in Africa. Their pain threshold is sometimes so high that they can undergo operations without pain relief that children in NZ would need to be general anaesthetisised.

That is more about standards of medical treatment and third world countries then it is about pain.

I have killed animals to put them out of their misery. I do that less now because I have seen some miraculous recoveries.
Back in the good old days before anaesthetics, amputations of limbs had to be done without pain relief. Those people that survived the infections often lived long and sometimes useful lives. They may well have wanted to die at the time, but not after healing had occurred.
Most certainly treat an injured animal against infection. Most certainly bandage it to hasten healing. But never assume that because you think that it might be suffering from pain that you should kill it.

Who mentioned killing it? Doing nothing would be unacceptible. Humane euthanasia is always an option for managing animals with chronic severe pain.

the overiding fact is that animal owners/carers have a legal obligation to ""minimise pain and suffering"" and provide timely and appropriate treatment when required.

If we have to kill calves because they have lost a toenail, then we most certainly should destroy every animal that gets a sore hoof, because that most assuredly does hurt.

Cowvet, do you insist on immediate destruction of any animal that has a sore hoof? By your logic, you should.

my logic?? - how do you work that one out - you are twisting things again

I never mentioned euthanasia. lame animals require treatment (they are lame because they are in pain). My job is to minimise pain and suffering. If the leg is broken and not fixable or outside the owners price range then i am obligated to ensure it does not suffer...ie, i would insist on humane euthanasia ans doing nothing would not be ethical or legal.
If the leg were fixable/manageable then my treatment choice would take into account dealing with the pain while the animal healed.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
11 years 9 months ago #433158 by JaneF
My understanding from reading the original and subsequent posts is that the calf has already been euthanased but she is interested in finding out options in the unfortunate event it ever happened again. How dreadful though, I don't think I could put a calf through that, esp without top notch facilities for nursing.

More
11 years 9 months ago #433195 by chicken_itis
Yes pretty much JaneF, If the answer was that it looks best for it (future one) to be PTS then I would feel satisfied I checked out all other possibilities i could. And as stated- it can happen other ways too!
My own reaction to it was immediatly P it TS, being a horsey person I know how sensitive all the insides of hooves are.
As for the people suggesting a vet assessment- not possible in a working farm situation, all animals get treatment necessary (ab's, meds ect when needed) but when the cost of treatment out ways the cost of the animal (in this case 2-3 times the cost of the calf) then that option is not viable.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds