What to do about calf with hoof pulled off?

More
11 years 10 months ago #32416 by chicken_itis
Is there any option for a calf that has a hoof nail got pulled off during an assisted delivery.
Can it be put back on? I am guessing it wouldn't grow back at any rate that would be comfortable (or possible) to the calf.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #432995 by Ruth
How on earth did that happen?

What does your vet say? I would presume there'd be significant pain associated with such trauma.

More
11 years 10 months ago #432997 by chicken_itis
Awful ay! from being pulled out and guessing the rope etc slipped down to the hoof and pops them off :(
Happens just occaisionally -
One happened this morning, my idea was it was best that it gets PTS but wanting to know for next time it happens..

More
11 years 10 months ago #433002 by WannaB
I would be inclined to (talk to the vet) bandage up and wait.
Apparently horses can grow a new hoof if it gets pulled/cut off.[:0] Might take a while Im guessing ...:rolleyes:

"I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life."

More
11 years 10 months ago #433003 by Ruth
What's the value of the calf? An especially bred, long-awaited heifer for breeding, or just a calf, whose suffering is not warranted?

Has whomever did the damage thought hard about how not to do that ever again?

More
11 years 10 months ago #433006 by Anne
I had a calf who's mother stood on the top of the hoof (coronary band in a horse) and stripped the outer hoof wall off one toe. Calf was 1 day old. She was small enough that I could grab her and wrap the hoof with padding and vetwrap and sacking. I did that for about 10 days (until I couldn't catch her easily) and then let the last lot just fall off. Calf was hardly even lame the first day and not at all after that. Didn't seem to worry her at all.

It wasn't very muddy, but not hard and dry either. At the moment I have mud and water up to my ears. Not sure what I would do if it happened today.

More
11 years 10 months ago #433012 by Ruth
Does the hoof tissue regrow if the whole thing is removed? I suppose the growth tissue band at the top of the hoof is still there, so it would regrow? I've never given it much thought, the only such toe I've ever have come off was in a dead calf we were pulling out by hand and it was a bit soft in many places, by then.

More
11 years 10 months ago #433013 by Hawkspur
Questions I'd be asking are:
Is the coronary band damaged to the point where the hoof wall is never going to grow normally?
Can you keep the calf comfortable?
Can the foot bear weight without causing future damage?
Can you keep tha calf and its mother together in a controlled dryish environment and handle the calf daily, to keep a check on the dressing needed on the open wound, until some hoof wall regrows?
Can you afford vet treatment if it becomes complicated?

More
11 years 10 months ago #433031 by cowvet
I would be asking some questions about how it happened in the first place.

my concern would be that if the hoof has been ripped out from the coronary band (growth area) there could be permanent damage and the hoof will not grow back normally.

Golden rule of place calving rope or chains...fix them ABOVE the accessory claws (fetlocks) so his sort of thing can't happen.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
11 years 10 months ago #433034 by chicken_itis
The incidence of it is.. I think 2nd time in the last few years.. out of 250 or so cows calving each year. Yes is should not happen, but I thought it was a good idea to learn if there were treatment options or not, just for future reference so it could be delt with quickly.(I am more or less not involved in any of it just like to help any animals that are more or less doomed (or not doomed fast enough) on the farm I live on/my partner mannagers.)
this one is a fresian bull, who would be sold at weaning for farmer growing on for beef. Not as expensive as a heifer but worth more than bobby price.

More
11 years 10 months ago #433081 by LongRidge
I would do what Anne has said worked for her. It is miraculous what some animals recover from, just as it is miraculous how easily some animals die. I would think that recovery without any significant recognition of pain by the animal is very probable. And pain is only painful if the receiver of the pain feels it.

More
11 years 10 months ago #433087 by Ruth

LongRidge;431614 wrote: ...I would think that recovery without any significant recognition of pain by the animal is very probable. And pain is only painful if the receiver of the pain feels it.

What are you saying? The injury won't cause the animal pain?

More
11 years 10 months ago #433095 by gemini kiwi
That poor suffering little calf, you cruel cruel people.

More
11 years 9 months ago #433106 by cowvet

Ruth;431621 wrote: What are you saying? The injury won't cause the animal pain?

is it evil of me to be imagining a pair of pliers and one of his toenails?

More
11 years 9 months ago #433107 by cowvet
The calf will be feeling pain - the tissue that connects the hoof wall to underlying tissues is very sensitive. I dread to think how hard they were pulling to rip it off a live calf and what damage over the heal of the calf may have also been done int he process.

Have you seen the calf and what is it doing?

Has the person who pulled the calf and caused this learned anything from it ?. Do they need to attend a ""spring skills"" refresher course with the local vet clinic (most large animal practices run them)

In all my years of calving cows (and I get the tough ones that experienced farmers can't do) I have NEVER had this happen ...it should be impossible if the ropes/chains are fitted correctly.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds