quick question which bobbys?

More
11 years 8 months ago #432719 by Newbies
My two cents also (well the vet's) - went to a calf rearing workshop down South here recently ran by the local vet clinic. They commented that Jersey calves aren't as hardy during the weaning period as your Friesan or beef breed (in that order). If anything is to be caught, the Jersey calf is more likely to catch it, irrespective of its initial colostrum intake etc. We're getting some friesan angus x bull calves to wean and feed to 18 months - first timers, should be interesting :)

[:D] 10 Hereford X Steers, 4 Ewes, Roger-The-Ram, 8 Hens, Foghorn Leghorn, Axle the Boxer, Duke the Mastiff X & 2 Moggies [:D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #432746 by mikethebike
Well update turns out that they are Frisian X jersey, friesian mothers jersey dad, choice of bulls or heiffers, they are only 20 bucks, I have looked at beef and beef cross calves but they want a small fortune for them, last year i got friesian x angus bobbys and sold them at weaning for 480 each but got them for 20 bucks, i worked out that we made about 50% so where they are asking 200+ dollars this year for the same its not worth doing! so think i will go with the cross and see how they grow if big enough at weaning then sell them then if not keep till 18 months or so,

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
11 years 8 months ago #432754 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic quick question which bobbys?

mikethebike;431246 wrote: ...I have looked at beef and beef cross calves but they want a small fortune for them...

You are unlikely to get beef calves at this time of year. They are worth the money you pay, if you buy quality animals which are healthy and grow.

If you have dairy weaners, how much are they growing each day? Does anyone weigh them?

More
11 years 8 months ago #432763 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic quick question which bobbys?
i have raised a mostly jersey, with a bit of fresian, steer last year and had no problem selling him as a weaner. i did not expect to get the same price as for a beef x weaner, but if you only pay $20 then you can sell for quite a bit less and make the same amount.

More
11 years 8 months ago #432764 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic quick question which bobbys?

Ruth;431255 wrote: You are unlikely to get beef calves at this time of year. They are worth the money you pay, if you buy quality animals which are healthy and grow.

If you have dairy weaners, how much are they growing each day? Does anyone weigh them?

i would agree if people are wanting to raise through to works age, but i imagine most people are wanting 4 day olds to raise to weaning at this time of year. then the question would be how much to spend when buying vs how much you can you make at weaning.

More
11 years 8 months ago #432777 by Ruth
Then how much does the prospective buyer pay to make how much at finishing...?

More
11 years 8 months ago #432787 by muri
Replied by muri on topic quick question which bobbys?
If selling on at weaning you will do better with beefies .
Jersey x are going for about $300 at the moment
Beef breeds at anything from 450 upwards.
You can do the maths.
And beefies are what people are looking for, on the whole.
If I was going to be doing so much work to hand raise cattle I would be looking at demand for various types at the selling end, not the cost of initial buying.
It costs the same price to raise a calf if its a beefie or non beefie

More
11 years 8 months ago #432789 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic quick question which bobbys?
When we were raising calves............

If selling them at weaning, it makes no difference if you get heifers or bulls. The bulls will grow quicker and you will get a better return on them than the heifers. But if you get heifers, make sure you do sell them as weaners as they become a jolly nuisance once they start coming on heat, unless you have very good fencing to contain them.
There are buyers out there for your bulls/steers as they on grow them for the USA hamburger market.

As for profitablility, it depends on what you have to pay for milk powder. If you have a local source of cheap milk, that is even better and your calves will grow a lot better ergo a better price at weaning.

BTW, I have been going to sales yards for years and years and have seen good fresian bull calves going for ridiculous prices - both at the top end and bottom end of the market. Same for the F x J bull calves.

The fresian/jersey cross stock don't tend to fetch as much as the purebred stock. Our last homekill was a F x J steer and the meat is just beautiful.

There is a market, albeit a small one, for good F x J heifers as a lot of dairy farmers are milking just this cross for various reasons. But I would suspect it would be easier to shift bulls/steers and you would get a better price for them at weaning as they are generally sold by weight.

If they are nice healthy calves and their mothers have been vaccinated, the choice is then up to you.

More
11 years 8 months ago #432796 by Ruth
Let us continue to be quite clear about the difference between what is being called a "beefy" and a beef calf: the former is out of a dairy cow and requires rearing on milk powder/milk; the latter is born to a beef cow and she rears it to six (or later) months, then it's weaned at 200-300kg - and there's a difference in quality in that range too!

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds