quick question which bobbys?

More
11 years 10 months ago #32375 by mikethebike
I have been offered a choice of jersey or friesian boby calves for next to nothing which are going to be best i plan to raise to weaning and sell or 18months and direct to works?

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #432615 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic quick question which bobbys?
Friesian. Jerseys are tiny and don't grow as fast or as big. Bulls or steers?

More
11 years 10 months ago #432616 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic quick question which bobbys?
Jerseys are great eating but have yellow fat which lots don't like ( personally i don't care and jersey meat is lovely :) ) The b&w's ( Frisian's) will probably end up being bigger animals , so probably get you more at works

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 10 months ago #432618 by mikethebike
they can be steers or heifers dont want bulls

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
11 years 10 months ago #432637 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic quick question which bobbys?

mikethebike;431104 wrote: they can be steers or heifers dont want bulls

They'll probably come to you as bulls and you will have to make them into steers;)!! Bobby calves are worth very little to the farmer, so he is unwilling to keep them long enough to steer them or to actually do the job.

More
11 years 10 months ago #432638 by muri
Replied by muri on topic quick question which bobbys?
Well, just to put my two cents in, I wouldnt take either if you were thinking of feeding them up for the works.
Both are dairy breeds, not meat breeds.
By the time you have raised on milk powder and then grazed them and wintered over the next winter with feeding out to them, you are going to get very little return unless you have heaps of feed and will have them well grown,
My neighbour just home killed his friesian at 2 years and got the same amount of meat that I got out of my yearling angus lowline x steer at just under 12 months.
If you are going to raise cattle for beef then get beef breeds

More
11 years 10 months ago #432657 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic quick question which bobbys?
If you can get heifers - why not raise them to be tame and become milking cows?

More
11 years 10 months ago #432659 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic quick question which bobbys?
Im possibly going to be raising jersey bulls to sell in November, dad thinks 250-350 each
Milking machine guy is coming tomorrow to work out what the old 'cowshed' needs to get it going so I can milk 3 rows of 10 cows

Our neighbour(sheep & beef farmer) buys weaner friesian bulls & sends them to works at 18-21mths old

Are the straight dairy or crossbred calves?

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 10 months ago #432660 by Ruth
Not being part of the dairy industry, I may be missing some vital bit of information; but why would there be Friesian or Jersey heifers available? They'd be the replacements for their birth herd, surely?

Or, is this the usual shorthand, mentioning only one of the breeds involved?

More
11 years 10 months ago #432661 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic quick question which bobbys?
My parents only keep the AI heifer calves as the bull matings will be unrecorded, they milk 1400 over 5 farms & only keep 300-400 heifer calves each year plus 30-50 bulls

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 10 months ago #432664 by Kiwi303
Yes, the first 500 top performing recorded cows in a 800 cow herd would be AI'd normally, or a similar percentage of a larger or smaller herd. This would give around 250 heifers (+/- allowing for bull calves, empties and hard births/stillborn or other problems) of which the better growing 200 would be kept as herd replacements (25% of milking cows rolled over each year)

Different farms, different systems, different retention/replacement percentages. They can be anything from %10 of the herd culled and replaced to 50% of the herd depending on the farmers/farm advisors system. Most but not all do around 25% to 20% replacements, or a 4 or 5 year productive milking life before culling old cows.

So that leaves 300 of the 800 cows just running with whatever is handy for the farmer to chuck in the paddock to get the girls pregnant and hence lactating. Most use a whiteface or angus, sometimes pure, sometimes cross. Some cheaper ones just keep a bull calf or two and shove the resultant Friesian bull in with the mob instead of spending money on buying a beef bull. So you get Friesian/Friesian heifers. There is often a premium for Beef-X calves by calf rearers, but not always and not in all seasons. So depending on the area, some farmers don't see a reason to buy in bulls when grazing on a bull reared with their herd replacements is cheaper.

The bobby truck doesn't care if they are diary or dairyXbeef, so a farmer who works to the bobby truck schedule instead of calf rearer demand has no point in buying beef bulls.

Then, you get the Natural propodents who get a nice bloodline pure dairy bull and let him do his job the way god intended instead of sticking tubes of bottled boy juice up their arse... in which case instead of separating the herd into the AI and the bull mobs it's easier just to put them all together. Result is still friesian heifers to spare.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
11 years 10 months ago #432665 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic quick question which bobbys?

katieb;431150 wrote: My parents only keep the AI heifer calves as the bull matings will be unrecorded, they milk 1400 over 5 farms & only keep 300-400 heifer calves each year plus 30-50 bulls

And that answers your question Ruth. It is usually only the best of AI that are kept and the rest are up for grabs.

Mike, back to your question. There are pros and cons in both.

The Friesian will grow out "faster", eat more in the doing so, make a bigger mess of your paddocks.

The Jersey will grow out "slower, eat much less in the doing so and you hardly see where it has walked on a wet day.

"Faster" and "Slower" are relative to breed - the Jersey is a smaller framed animal and therefore will take longer to get the same weight as a Friesian on it. But remember he will eat less and you will still get the same per kilo for him at the works. They are also excellent foragers.

If your looking at selling at weaning, go for the Friesian because people have a mindset that this is the way to go and will pay you the dollars whereas they would turn up their noses at a Jersey. For anything you might want to take through to worksing and have to carry over at least one winter, look at the Jersey.

That's my take on it. Over the years I've sent off many a Jersey steer to the works (if it hasn't found it's way to the freezer first) and have got very good money for them. And for the freezer, straight Jersey is my choice.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
11 years 9 months ago #432671 by Ruth
On the basis of the answers to my question, I'll second Muri!

muri;431125 wrote: Well, just to put my two cents in, I wouldnt take either if you were thinking of feeding them up for the works....

Quality will always pay you better in the end. The "free" animal never is.

More
11 years 9 months ago #432698 by xevbellringer
Friesian bulls for sale at weaning (100kg+) or steered for sale any time after that. Better would be the beef cross, you can get away with a jersey/friesian cross, but if you want to sell as beef & would steer away from pure jersey bulls. We usually sell ours as yearling steers. One thing I would make sure of is that the cow was vaccinated for roto & noro virus - a lot of farmers don't bother for the unregistered calves & then you can have big trouble with sick calves & enormous vet bills.

More
11 years 9 months ago #432700 by igor
Replied by igor on topic quick question which bobbys?
Many years ago on the home place we killed a three year old Jersey steer named Lunch. His rump steaks were enormous and delicious. Plenty of nice yellow fat too.

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds