Motherless or weaned lambs - Invercargill area

More
11 years 9 months ago #32204 by iamfuzzy
Hi there,

We have recently moved and have about 5 acres in Otatara where we would like to run a few lambs/sheep. If anyone has any motherless lambs to give away or maybe even older lambs for sale please let us know.

Our preferred option is to get a few motherless lambs for the kids to hand feed.

Thank you.

Mum, Dad, 3 kids, 1 dog, 1 rabbit, 2 cats, 1 hereford heffer calf and 28 lambs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #430609 by The dream
It might be a bit early for orphan lambs down your way. Someone else from down south may have a better idea when lambing generally is.

The man at the top of the hill didn't fall there! [:D][^]

7 acres, 10 sheep, 1 cow, 10 chooks, 4 goats, 3 very spoilt cats. Living the dream.

More
11 years 9 months ago #430654 by SarahM
We are in West Plains, Invercargill, and ours are due to start lambing on 8 August. Normally we would be lambing three weeks later, but I'm due to have a baby myself, so opted to lamb earlier.

There are some early Dorper lambs on Bay Road born last month, but they may have been an 'accident'. Lambing around here is generally Aug/Sep.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
11 years 9 months ago #430676 by hilldweller
if a southerly storm goes through sometime in September there will be heaps. It would help if you let a local farmer know you're on the lookout as they'll be rushed off their feet if that does happen.

hilldweller

More
11 years 9 months ago #430692 by kindajojo
Put a few notices up at your vets or leaflets in farmers letter boxes...farmers generally do not have the time to raise orphan lambs and they are not cost effective i.e. the price of milk is more than the lambs are worth, most farmers i have met don't like knocking them off so it you offer to take any they are generally happy for you to collect.
Make sure you have a supply of cow colostrum, towels, wool overs and a draught free place with straw or hay..they may arrive in a bad state ....a soak in warm water is the fastest way to warm them up.

More
11 years 9 months ago #430706 by LongRidge
About mid September will be the time. As stated, get a good supply of fresh, frozen cow colostrum . Also get a stomach tube and instructions on how to use it. Never keep the male lambs as rams because very likely you will not want or be allowed to kill them, so also get an elastrator and rubber rings, and a lesson on how to use it.

More
11 years 9 months ago #430711 by SarahM
Yes don't keep a ram lamb unless you are quite confident you are able to send them off to the works once prime - otherwise you will have a pet with "attitude".

Regards lambing dates - mid-Aug to mid-Sep is the time around here, but some of the inland farmers around Winton etc have already started.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
11 years 9 months ago #430729 by ronnie
Now that Todds no longer have animal auctions, lots of farmers will be at a loss as to what to do with orphans, so just let as many folk know as you can that you are after some. Some will be give aways but most will want some sort of $$ for them. As the others have said, be prepared for their arrival with bottles, colostrum etc as they are bound to arrive out of shop trading hours [;)]

More
11 years 9 months ago #430883 by wiredkiwi
Welcome to Otatara! Where abouts are you? I'm on Otatara Rd...

Anyway, might be able to help with the orphans. A friend has a sheep farm, and has told me that he thinks I need to take on his orphans this year. I'm not so sure! But if he wants to offload any this year, I'll send you a PM and see if you're interested. Sept is high season for orphans - there will be a few before that, but the bulk are in late Aug / early Sep

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Horses must be magnetic. Have one and others come along to join it.

More
11 years 9 months ago #432061 by iamfuzzy
Whoops! :o New to this forum and thought I would get replies to our post sent to our email inbox...apparently this isn't the case (or I need to change my settings) so it was great to see all your replies when we logged on today. Thank you for all your replies and great advice. We'll have to get onto making sure we have the equipment and supplies ready. We are on Aicken Road and we'll make sure we keep a more regular check on the forum from now on LOL, so if you know of anyone selling/giving away any lambs in the coming months, it would be great if you could PM us and we'll contact them directly. Thanks heaps :D

More
11 years 9 months ago #432062 by iamfuzzy
p.s. have just sorted out our settings so will now receive replies to our email inbox :D

More
11 years 7 months ago #436735 by iamfuzzy
Hi, We are picking up our first couple of lambs this weekend which we are all really exciting about! We are still hoping to get a few more so please let us know if you or anyone you know has any motherless lambs for sale/give away?

Looking at up to 10.

Thank you.

More
11 years 6 months ago #440067 by wiredkiwi
Have just sent a PM, but if anyone else in the Invercargill area is looking for some orphans, there are some available now, so send me a PM and I'll let you know the details.

More
11 years 6 months ago #440150 by wiredkiwi
All gone thanks :)

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds