Why do children sleep in during the week and get up before sunrise in the weekends??

More
11 years 9 months ago #429495 by igor
You must charge them board Minky. Even if it is only a token amount.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #429502 by Minky2
Yup, I do charge them board although nowhere near as much as they would pay elsewhere. I am happy to help by lowering their living costs as they work hard, and because they are my children and I want to help. I believe in 'tough love' - if they are pulling their weight, and behaving like responsible, caring sensible adults I am more than happy to help them save a bit of money, currently they are. The moment they stuff up and start wasting money, lazing around and getting involved in dubious pursuits I will tell them politely to leave - they can live with the consequences somewhere else, I'm not going to deal with it.

I love having them around but won't mind when they leave either, I will probably push them out forcefully if they're still here in 5 years!!!

I enjoy them more now than I did when they were at the 'getting up at 5.30 in the morning to play' age, ouch! But enjoying each 'stage' is important, they grow up so fast. The 'cuddly' stage is certainly to be cherished, even if it is at 6 am!

More
11 years 9 months ago #429503 by Minky2
Yep, I do charge board although nowhere near as much as they would pay elsewhere since I don't mind helping them save on living costs if they are working hard, pulling their weight, being responsible and not getting involved in dubious pursuits. So far it's all good. I believe in 'tough love' if they stuff up I will politely ask them to leave, they can deal with the consequences elsewhere.

I love having them around but might push them out forcefully if they are still here in 5 years!!

I enjoy them more now than when they were at the 'getting up at 5 am to play' stage but it's sure important to enjoy each stage, and to cherish the 'cuddly stage' even if it is at 6 am! I do think I'm way less tired now than I was when they were at that age so it does get easier. Different challenges I guess.

More
11 years 9 months ago #429505 by stephclark
and this thread is an excellant example of why i have cats :) :)

More
11 years 9 months ago #429512 by Huggiechook

stephclark;427711 wrote: and this thread is an excellant example of why i have cats :) :)

dunno about that - one of our cats often starts meowing loadly at about 6 am :(

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

More
11 years 9 months ago #429514 by belinda_h
I'm with you there StephClark - although I doubt whether kids would drop dead rats on the end of my bed. Then again, they'd probably manage to find something equally gross. And if you throw the cats outside when they annoy you, you won't have any problems with CYFS

More
11 years 9 months ago #429515 by Minky2
Cats, easier? Not sure about that either, this winter pity help us if we don't provide a fully heated house (every room, just for her) and 24/7 access to all the beds, we are told about it in no uncertain terms.

More
11 years 9 months ago #429530 by jeannielea
Am with the others in having a time when they can come and 'disturb' you. We used audio tapes for our kids and now use CDs for the grandkids and they love story time using this method.

More
11 years 9 months ago #429594 by DiDi
We have some amazing parents on her who have worked it out. I laughed with Minky and understood having been rural and having children at Uni and Nursing leaving and coming at odd hours. I have the cat that made me laugh Steph when she wants me to get up at 7am and has been trained to go away until 8am and does. Ultimately the suggestions to keep your wee ones in bed are great and workable, just as those fuzzy cuddles are magic.

I guess I was lucky in that my husband was a daybreak riser and I was a night person. We had issues until I suggested to him that as he was away so much, could he not treat the early mornings as precious, special alone time with his children. A light bulb went off and never another problem. Many times I was awoken with French toast and the two proudest wee girls that had cooked it for me with Daddy. You just have to figure it out as to how it will work for you. A clock, a ban, something to occupy them safely etc. They will survive as mine did and just out of interest - one is a day breaker and one is a night person still.

More
11 years 9 months ago #429597 by tonic
the other thing we have always done is each parent has one sleep-in day a week. so on saturday i can stay in bed and on sunday he can. it is such a lifesaver having a day when i know they will leave me in peace as long as i want. and the kids love 'daddy day'! they go out and tramp, explore rock pools, have starbucks and generally do whatever he wants and often are gone most of the day!!! as i home school them it is a blessing to have such time to myself.

More
11 years 9 months ago #429823 by Kiwi303

igor;427699 wrote: You must charge them board Minky. Even if it is only a token amount.

And make them know "My house, my rules".

If they want V8 parts filling the sheds and an eclectic collection of strange automotive tools, they either get their own place, or you have a BIG farm with room to spare, like my mum has :D

I have a '71 peugeot 504 in one shed and a '79 Nissan 280ZX with the bits for a 302C conversion stacked in another shed... No worries with the amount of shed space of having them turfed out to hold hay while I'm in China. :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
11 years 9 months ago #429832 by Ruth

Minky2;427721 wrote: Cats, easier? Not sure about that either, this winter pity help us if we don't provide a fully heated house (every room, just for her) and 24/7 access to all the beds, we are told about it in no uncertain terms.

You're obviously far too soft. Our ancient cat has started having "difficulties" about where the dirt box is, so she and her companion now spend their nights in the small back porch/laundry, locked in (since the younger cat cost $700 in surgical vet bills after a fight) and it's not particularly warm. I figure they have fur coats, they'll cope. I got sick of cleaning up messes and the house stinks. The buggers never get to sleep on the beds at night, even though we love them, because they clean themselves when I'm fast asleep and then I'm not asleep any more and end up very grumpy.

I feed them, house them, ensure they're cared for; they're not going to disrupt my sleep as well!

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds