its all on

More
11 years 9 months ago #429888 by wiltshire
Replied by wiltshire on topic its all on
opps forgot to say our soil tests showed that we we down on iodine in the soil but are sorting that out through our fert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #429899 by jsmum
Replied by jsmum on topic its all on
Wiltshire, who did your soil tests? Thinking of getting mine done

More
11 years 9 months ago #429902 by wiltshire
the soil test were done by our fetiliser rep and he sent them on cant remember who did them but our herbage test was done by Hills labratories who i am sure do soil tests as well

More
11 years 9 months ago #429907 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic its all on
wiltshire, yes, quite possibly the rams problem, unless his lambs are all singles, all twins, or all from first lambing ewes. These too could be factors.
muri, iodine and lack of it cause poor fertility in the ewes, spindly lambs which might not have goitre that die soon after birth, lambs with an enlarged thyroid (goitre). When we had the problem there was no goitre but the male lambs of a twin pair would die without being able to stand, or if it could stand would not be able to lift it's head.
Apparently in thyroid formation it is important that ewes have about 240mg of iodide 6 weeks before birth. This is obtained by making a drench out of water and potassium iodide, KI. Make up 10g KI in 320ml water and give each ewe 10 ml of the solution as a drench. If you use a probiotic with iodide in it then you will need to add less KI to it.
The symptom of too much iodide is that the ewes get watery dribble out of their nose.

More
11 years 9 months ago #429908 by wiltshire
we wont know until we get the numbers of the ewes Longridge but we do keep track of what ram went with who,so far all the singles have been fine and the triplet has been fine and feeding three its just been in the twins so far.

More
11 years 9 months ago #429918 by muri
Replied by muri on topic its all on
Back to the iodine, i use a mineralised and iodised salt lick that sometimes, more than others, the sheep seem to go for and its usually available to them in their shelters so they can have it if they want it

More
11 years 9 months ago #429962 by LongRidge
Wiltshire, my sheep stud friend tags the lambs as soon as he finds them so that he can match the lambs with the ewes. We decided to do that too, many years ago, and it has saved many lambs (usually a twin) by being able to know that x and y lambs belong to A ewe, but only y lamb is with her, so where is x? Or vice versa, I have found b lamb, so where is his (male lambs are always more stupid than female lambs) B mother?
muri, the iodine in an iodised salt block is about 1/8 the amount required at 6 weeks before birth .... if the ewe will eat the high iodine blocks. Our high iodide tonic is 1/2 of what is required. Your animals may well be getting enough iodide but you might be able to improve there mineral status by giving a bit more. In humans, lack of iodide causes mental problems, which is why it is put into salt, because in NZ, iodide is usually very deficient in the human diet.

More
11 years 9 months ago #429986 by wiltshire
we use a mineral lick from our fert company and the animals really go for it at this time of year, comes in powder form and contains kelp meal,diatomaceous earth,redmond salt&dominion salt and dolomite really good stuff in our opinion.
we have it out there all year round have seen alot of ewes go to it before giving birth

More
11 years 9 months ago #430003 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic its all on
I have tried to tag lambs at birth but found that if the ewe ties off when I am tagging the lamb it's a mission to get them reunited and if she has twins will take off with one and is not interested in the other. Now I leave them alone for 24 hours to bond and have had no problems with rejection. I can tag and spray the old timer ewes but really its not worth it. Less intervention the better.

More
11 years 9 months ago #430150 by LongRidge
When tagging lambs, we hunt in a pack .... or should that be "With a club"? .... I catch the lamb and The Manager gives it it's number (and remembers where I have dropped the crook while grabbing the lamb). With twins, it is much easier to catch both of them, so that mum doesn't run off with one. At 24 hours or more old, the lambs can run too quickly for me, so we have to tag (and clean bums) in a small yard in the lambing paddock. It is handy having a good sheep dog to distract the ewe while we deal with the lamb. Also, the ewes are tagged, so if she does run off, we can find her to return the lambs to.

More
11 years 9 months ago #430282 by wiltshire
helped one of our own bred up ewes today at lunchtime have her second lamb as he was quite big compared to his sister and left them to it as she scanned as a twin, then checking them again after lunch there was another a nice surprise so triplets for her.

More
11 years 9 months ago #430284 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic its all on
nice going, hope the weather doesn't get too wet and windy over the next few days, got all mined vacced in the weekend and some look a little closer than 4 weeks (due at the end of August).

More
11 years 9 months ago #430291 by wiltshire
thanks Jo, sounds like we may not get so much rain as they forecast .

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds