its all on

More
11 years 11 months ago #429563 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic its all on
Thats great i am sitting here thinking of your ewes and hoping like mad it will settle down ...we will be starting around the last week in July

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #429574 by wiltshire
Replied by wiltshire on topic its all on
alot of the early lambs are no 17s and his sons so will be interesting to see how the other rams lambs turn out

More
11 years 11 months ago #429596 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic its all on
my wiltshires have never lambed before 31/7, i had a ewe that lambed that day each year! it doesn't matter when i put the ram in, or if he has stayed with them, i have never had them lambing before the very end of july.

i wonder why? something to do with the climate here maybe... any ideas? the time of year suits us, though it means that i sell my lambs a little later than others as i like to see how they shed out. but i would like to know why...

good luck with the rest wiltshire!

More
11 years 11 months ago #429612 by muri
Replied by muri on topic its all on
Tonic, my lambs also tend to be around the same time of the year. The gotlands are in sept even tho the ram has run with them all year as well.
Its the ewe not the ram that determines the cycling to some extent, unless you put a new ram in with your ewes and you get the 'ram effect' they all start cycling then.
Some breeds - Romneys and suffolk - seem to breed early in the season

More
11 years 11 months ago #429689 by tonic
i thought it may have to do with the breed, but this thread seems to prove otherwise. i am thinking it must be to do with the climate. perhaps the ewes start cycling later due to it being summery for longer here? though the daylight hours should be fairly similar between here and feilding and thats what starts the cycling off isn't it?

More
11 years 11 months ago #429707 by muri
Am no expert in this but shortening day light hours appear to one factor affecting the ewes cycling in breeds that lamb only annually. Feed supply may also impinge, hence the concept of 'flushing' ewes.
There is an interesting table in this months Lifestyle Block magazine on grass growth rates around NZ expressed in DM/ha.
The wairarapa area has the highest grass growth production of any area in NZ for august and one of the highest for July as well. In fact they get more growth in august than in Dec
Not sure of the reason for this but its not quite what I would have expected to find.

More
11 years 11 months ago #429709 by tonic
perhaps that is a factor. our block gets dry here in summer and the autumn flush does not amount to much.

More
11 years 11 months ago #429740 by wiltshire
we normally have the rams parked next door to the ewes for a few weeks before they go in and we find most get pregnant on the second cycle as we are seeing alot of lambs now which is right on it.

More
11 years 10 months ago #429769 by tonic
so yours would have been cycling in january, thats interesting!

More
11 years 10 months ago #429771 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic its all on

muri;427618 wrote: ...but i would always speak to the neighbour before taking any action ie contact with animal control

I did that half a dozen times with one particular neighbour. When I did call Animal Control, he got quite bent out of shape about it - obviously thought I should keep on being forgiving. There comes a point when that has to stop.

My ewes are cycling now - there's a cryptorchid in the mob, whose fertility is obviously nil, fortunately, and he's been chasing the ewes around for the last few weeks. No lambs this year, by choice. We've still too many hoggets to eat!

More
11 years 10 months ago #429815 by wiltshire
had some long legged lambs this year,dont think this is helping the ewes have them though,have had to help a few this year.

More
11 years 10 months ago #429846 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic its all on
A couple of suggestions.
Wiltshire, if you don't get your flock pregnancy scanned then you might find it useful. It is really helpful to know which are empty, having singles, late .... or unexpectedly early.
What is the iodine status of your sheep? Is it the ram lambs rather than the ewe lambs with the long legs? When we had an iodine problem, long unstable legs was a symptom.

The quality of the feed at flushing and mating has a huge effect on when the ewes cycle. A sub-clinical amount of rye-grass staggers will have an effect. The mineral and vitamin status ay also be compromised so that a limiting mineral only becomes available when the temperature changes. I get over the mineral effect by giving a couple of probiotic drenches. Also, when the lambs were weaned and how rapidly the ewes regained condition are other important factors.

More
11 years 10 months ago #429861 by wiltshire
we do scan the ewes every year so we can feed the ewes properly though their pregnancy and know what we are getting ,also they get a drench of iodine at scanning time.
the ewes we have had to help have all been from one ram so wonder if this is the problem ,its only having them is the trouble after that they are fine.

More
11 years 10 months ago #429865 by muri
Why do you give them iodine please and in what form?

When choosing a ram, many people buy the biggest as they are looking for ultimately the biggest lambs at culling age.
But big heads with high brows may create problems of getting stuck in the birth canals,
It also sound wiltshire as this particular ram is producing long legged lambs that cant be easily birthed he may also need culling?
With cattle, bulls that produce easy births are sought after but not enough people look for this in their rams

More
11 years 10 months ago #429887 by wiltshire
we found some of the lambs had goitre after being tested by the vets and they recommended potassium iodide at scanning time,we had to give 20 odd mls per ewe after mixing with water.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds