its all on

More
11 years 10 months ago #429181 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic its all on
We lamb late July early August ....except for the twins born 17th May[:I] thanks to super stud Wally ........
It is hard to guess at what winter weather will come and in what months:rolleyes: but generally when our lambs really need the grass ours is starting to flush again ...we have a big padock set aside for the newly lambed ewes ...I try to bring them into the house paddock when they are close but the antenatal paddock is also well in view from house so when I misjudge who is next/close it isn't a biggie if they lamb in the antenatal paddock[;)] We are fortunate in having a huge shed for ewes and lambs if weather gets a bit rough and all my ewes eat hay and nuts ...and LR my ROMNEYS love their hay[:0]...
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #429205 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic its all on

wiltshire;427305 wrote: we have 131 to lamb this year

That's a BIG lsb flock :)

So when will lambing finish for you? A few weeks before mine start I'm guessing LOL. Fingers crossed the weather does what it's supposed to for you. Do you get a bit of grass growth up there even through the winter months?

Lots of reasons why I couldn't/wouldn't lamb this early down here but luckily for me one of the nice things about the way the organic lamb pricing works is that it's a flat rate for the season, not a moving schedule :)

hilldweller

More
11 years 10 months ago #429227 by wiltshire
Replied by wiltshire on topic its all on
yes that is a big lsb flock but we keep getting told that we only have a hobby farm from the big boys,we should finish round august and most of those are our first time lambers .
how does the organic price compare to conventional pricing hilldweller? if you dont mind us asking as we have considered going organic.

More
11 years 10 months ago #429229 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic its all on

wiltshire;427410 wrote: how does the organic price compare to conventional pricing hilldweller? if you dont mind us asking as we have considered going organic.

The price, and the premium over conventional varies from year to year (and possibly between meat companies - my experience is only with Alliance, and South Island prices). As per my previous post they set a price at the start of the season rather than a constantly changing weekly schedule. This season just gone was the best yet - $8/kg against schedule in the low $5s at the times I was selling :D . Previous year was $7 something (can't remember off the top of my head) which was good but the schedule almost caught up, so a good price for everyone but not such a good premium for being organic.

hilldweller

More
11 years 10 months ago #429238 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic its all on
Ruth, I absolutely agree about the afterbirth. The ewe should eat it, just as a human mother should eat hers .... forcefed if necessary :-) Oops, I might have passed the bounds of respectability ....
I used to let our dogs clear up any afterbirth, but then got the dogs wandering, and also had a lamb killed ..... which might not have been the dogs, or the lamb might have already been dead. Now I carry a supermarket bag in my pocket when I am doing the lambing beat.

More
11 years 10 months ago #429244 by muri
Replied by muri on topic its all on
Fully agree longridge, just asking for trouble letting the dogs clean up.
My neighbours dog came in and decided to take the afterbirth and thats why my ewe ended up walking away from her lamb [and the story of how Glo Pony got her Chloe] The ewe was not used to the neighbours dog either.
I make a practice of never allowing my dog into the paddocks at any time, he has to be invited.
But at no time of the year do I let my dog in the paddock amongst the stock, especially at lambing time.

More
11 years 9 months ago #429398 by igor
Replied by igor on topic its all on
Neighbour's dog is very lucky not to have been shot by muri.

More
11 years 9 months ago #429399 by caro
Replied by caro on topic its all on
what are you up to now Wiltshire?? We are just north of Auckland and one of ours is due anytime, I was worried that it would be too cold, but feel a bit reassured knowing that you are lambing in Fielding

More
11 years 9 months ago #429410 by robbie88
Replied by robbie88 on topic its all on

caro;427593 wrote: what are you up to now Wiltshire?? We are just north of Auckland and one of ours is due anytime, I was worried that it would be too cold, but feel a bit reassured knowing that you are lambing in Fielding

We are in the South Waikato and our first lamb arrived 19th May. The next were 24th and 30th May and thereafter.
Here it is not about prices or feed; it is about the ram running with the girls all year round and our trust in Mother Nature doing the right thing.

Fortunately we have adequate feed and shelter and we are comfortable knowing that the little ones will be big enough to handle the cold and wet that is still to arrive.

Rob

More
11 years 9 months ago #429415 by wiltshire
hi caro,we are up to 27 lambs with the last ones born this morning in the rain and wind so shifted them round behind the wooolshed and and are doing well.
the temperature has stayed mild considering the weather.
how many have you got to lamb caro?

More
11 years 9 months ago #429416 by caro
Replied by caro on topic its all on
we only have 3 ewes, and the ram lives with them all year, so dates don't mean much! one I think will be pretty soon so I have moved them into the front garden this morning.

More
11 years 9 months ago #429423 by muri
Replied by muri on topic its all on

igor;427591 wrote: Neighbour's dog is very lucky not to have been shot by muri.

Ha but I dont have a gun.
If I did however, my relationship with my neighbour is more important than that lamb.
I rang him immediately and since then the dog has never been on my place and he is very vigilant [the neighbour I mean]
Had it been a less favourable neighbour it might have been a less favourable outcome for the dog, but i would always speak to the neighbour before taking any action ie contact with animal control

More
11 years 9 months ago #429484 by wiltshire
had our first set of triplets this morning all looking good and not a bad size for triplets,got them tucked up in a shelter as the rain has set in hope the rest stay in mums tum for the day

More
11 years 9 months ago #429548 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic its all on
How things going ....the weather is not looking took great for the next couple of days

More
11 years 9 months ago #429554 by wiltshire
not bad just another big single girl tonight that we helped her with and have got her up near the house in a shelter,the girls are pacing themselves which is good.
saw some lambs playing this afternoon even though the weather was crap which is a good sign we think.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds