freezer beast

More
11 years 10 months ago #32053 by MooandPop
freezer beast was created by MooandPop
what is the best way to source one? Our little calf is a way off and we would like to have beef sooner!! We aren't far from Tuakau so the sales there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #428812 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic freezer beast
I'm not sure the sale yards would be the best place, but don't quote me on that. I would just prefer to know a bit about where the meat I'm going to eat comes from. The few that we haven't reared here on farm have been sourced via word-of-mouth, either from friends or friends of friends... the rural grapevine has many and varied tendrils, so it pays to be a part of it (and LSB is a fantastic extended version!).

More
11 years 10 months ago #428827 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic freezer beast
Ask your local homekill butcher if they know of someone that you can buy an animal off, that is ready now. Because you already own a calf, the 28 day ownership requirement does not apply to you. Expect to pay what the present owner would get at the freezing works, plus butchery charges, less hide sale and less freezing works charges.
So the butcher kills the animal and weighs it. You pay the cow owner the schedule price for that weight animal less the works charges, plus GST if he wants it. You also pay the butcher his fees less the hide value.

More
11 years 10 months ago #429060 by sky
Replied by sky on topic freezer beast
You mention hide LongRidge, we wanted to keep our hides from our steers when we had them home killed but couldn't find anyone who could tan them to make them into rugs. So in the end we let the butcher have them.
Does anyone know somewhere that treats cow skins to make into rugs?

For a reasonable price too :)

Canterbury

More
11 years 10 months ago #429130 by LongRidge
There was a company in Whanganui that would do it ..... for about $300 each .....
I understand the tanning kits work reasonably well. If you PM kiwi303 he might be able to give you some details.
If you are going to freeze the skin to keep it fresh, remember to fold it so that all the skin is inwards. Also tie a strong string around it so that you can get it out of the freezer after it has frozen. The water and blood on the outside of the skin freezes onto the freezer and sticks it tight.

More
11 years 10 months ago #429311 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic freezer beast
Get one off trade me. tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
11 years 9 months ago #429411 by MooandPop
Replied by MooandPop on topic freezer beast

TKFARMER;427498 wrote: Get one off trade me. tkf

This is what i'm leaning towards.

More
11 years 9 months ago #429421 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic freezer beast
Yeah, there's some quality stock there! [xx(]

Buyer beware in that market!

More
11 years 9 months ago #429538 by MooandPop
Replied by MooandPop on topic freezer beast
ended up getting a lovely Lowline angus x steer 18mths old. Will inform about hook weights etc.

More
11 years 9 months ago #429608 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic freezer beast

sky;427227 wrote: You mention hide LongRidge, we wanted to keep our hides from our steers when we had them home killed but couldn't find anyone who could tan them to make them into rugs. So in the end we let the butcher have them.
Does anyone know somewhere that treats cow skins to make into rugs?

For a reasonable price too :)

Sorry to hijack your thread.......

Adam Cowie, who is a member on here, is a professional animal hide tanner. He is based in Invercargill but that is no issue. I have friends who have used his services (they are Hamilton based) and found him very good. He also has a website, the address of which escapes me at present. But if you want to know further, pm me and I will hunt it out for you.

More
11 years 9 months ago #429618 by MooandPop

More
11 years 9 months ago #429920 by Juanita
Replied by Juanita on topic freezer beast
If the 28 day rule doesn't apply to cattle not classed as calves thinking I might look at selling 2 of my 4 x 2 year old girls as freezer beasts, putting the Murray Greys into calf.....

Juanita

2 daughters - Amy & Megan, 2 loving and devoted surrogate grandparents, Schist (Lab/Springer Spaniel X), Bella (pomeranian) 2 cats Holly & Ginge, Mocha & Cocoa (Murray Greys), Hercules, looking for English Leicester ram to take care of a harem of 9 English Leicester ewes.....plus 3 ewe lambs for 2014 [:0]

More
11 years 9 months ago #429963 by LongRidge
Juanita, because you and I already own cattle, then the 28 day rule does not apply to us. But if you or I sell to someone who does not already own cattle, then if that person kills that/those stock within 28 days then he is breaking the law.

More
11 years 9 months ago #429976 by Juanita
Replied by Juanita on topic freezer beast
Thanks for the clarification Longridge - afterwards I thought it all sounded too easy.....

Juanita

2 daughters - Amy & Megan, 2 loving and devoted surrogate grandparents, Schist (Lab/Springer Spaniel X), Bella (pomeranian) 2 cats Holly & Ginge, Mocha & Cocoa (Murray Greys), Hercules, looking for English Leicester ram to take care of a harem of 9 English Leicester ewes.....plus 3 ewe lambs for 2014 [:0]

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds