Suggestion for 6mth pig butcher Manawatu

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #31806 by John M
Hi guys, we have our two boys approaching 6 months. They are free range in an acre of paddock, they have been fed with milk every morning, and nuts each evening beside all the household scraps.

I'm not opposed to butchering them myself, but looking for pointers as to websites to assist in understanding the bet process or a good recommendation for a butcher in the Manawatu to do it for me. Again, I don't mind delivering a hung carcuss if they don't offer home kill options, but I'm not 100% on the rules surrounding that. These are for our freezer.

Second question, at 6 months, will one of them be old enough to service a sow if I got one? What age do sows start to cycle?

John

Breeding black Wiltshire shedding sheep.

Full shedding, easy care, good feet, easy lambing and good mothering is what it takes to make the breeding cut!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #425931 by Sue
I think there are a couple of good Home kill butchers in Feilding, Stu-R will know, but check out the yellow pages under Butchers Homekill services.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #425937 by John M
I've had both beef and venison processed through Steve on Churcher st, and found his service top notch, but I'm not sure what he's like for pork, and when I have got sausages done, he doesn't seem to offer anything more than basic.

Also looking for what's involved to maybe do them ourselves. Maybe a book or website recommendation?

Thanks, John

Full shedding, easy care, good feet, easy lambing and good mothering is what it takes to make the breeding cut!

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #425941 by belinda_h
I've had Steve do pigs, excellent service - picks up and takes away animals and returns all the cuts. If you have specific requirements for cuts he'll do them (although he did look startled when I asked for the heads).

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #425944 by Computron
Use dale! He is the best. Stu has his number, he is amazing.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #425951 by shad297

John Middleton;423825 wrote: I've had both beef and venison processed through Steve on Churcher st, and found his service top notch, but I'm not sure what he's like for pork, and when I have got sausages done, he doesn't seem to offer anything more than basic.

Also looking for what's involved to maybe do them ourselves. Maybe a book or website recommendation?

Thanks, John

Hugh Fearnley-Whitingstall has written books and done River Cottage TV programme where he has made his own sausages and cured his own pork (with help from a butcher) am sure you can find something online. Actually I have his book The River Cottage Cookbook and it has quite a good pork section with recipes for sausages, salami, black pudding, curing etc. See if the library has it. If not you are welcome to borrow mine as I'm in PN. PM me if you are interested.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #425984 by Stu_R
I use Dale Old .. Rural Butchery Services .. hes up at Kimbolton
He uses Craig Merrit ( spelling ) to do his killing
Both those to guys are brilliant ... and not expensive
Totally recommend both the kill guy and Dale the butcher ... have had stuff from Steve befor and compared to Dales stuff and packaging and the cuts and what you get back ... i will go for Dale to cut up every time and Craig to do the kill

Shoot me a pm if you want Dale's numbers .. i would post them here but would most likely get hands slapped lol lol :)

Can certainly vouch for Dale's sausages to :)
Shad297 was there when we did the last 3 sheep .. she will be able to vouch for the job Craig the kill guy did with them .. no stress and quick :)

:) oops for got your second question ... um Piggi Wiggi that used to be on here ... her boar got their sow pregers when he was 6 months old .. as he was in freezer befor he was 7 months ... my 2 young sows came on heat first time round at 7 months

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #425994 by tonic
river cottage book or dvd called pig in a day is great. it goes through butchery and processing in to many things including sausages and bacon etc. may be in a library???

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #426009 by John M
Thanks heaps all!!

John

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds