Damn DOGS!!!!!!!

More
12 years 1 week ago #31715 by FarmerEms
Damn DOGS!!!!!!! was created by FarmerEms
OH checked the chickens to give them a feed before and discovered we are left with 2 of our barred rock hens. 1 pullet and 1 hen. We had about 5 hens in the run with the rooster, and probably about 6 other pullets in our other run. We managed to find 2 of the hens and 1 of the roosters down the paddock. I was absolutely traumatised :( It was saddening to know it had happened, and to see the feathers, but to find some bodies that were just punctured, and had obviously had a huge fight to get away, was absolutely horrid.

OH went to see and talk to the neighbours, they all said it won't have been their dog/s. There is one other house that it could be, but now we're just not sure what to do.

It's really sad, and they were really nice chickens. I'm now really worried about the pigs and sheep.

:( I hate irresponsible owners! If you have a dog in the country it should not terrorize animals.

Growing the LSB one kid/lamb/calf/piglet at a time.. [8D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 week ago #424977 by billmckinstry
Replied by billmckinstry on topic Damn DOGS!!!!!!!
Very sad news. :(

Will be easy enough to get the fence so they can't get in ?

It or they will be back. Sooner or later.

More
12 years 1 week ago #424978 by FarmerEms
Replied by FarmerEms on topic Damn DOGS!!!!!!!
The problem is the previous owner had trouble with rogue dogs (I think around 3 of them) in 2009 I think it was, but nothing has happened since then. We have been here for afew months and nothing has happened. The neighbours dog used to come up around the house, but the neighbours swear it wasn't him. The fencing around the property is in quite good nick, so i am thinking they must have either squeezed or jumped. The chicken run has a big hole pushed into it, and the other has had the wire completely flattened. I just feel like there's not much we can do. I don't feel very comfortable having free range chickens anymore, and these weren't even free range.. :( If only they had got the Guineas..!!

More
12 years 1 week ago #425006 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Damn DOGS!!!!!!!
You could ask the local animal control whether there is a live dog trap you can borrow. If you catch a local pet dog on your property, it will be fairly obvious whose it is.

More
12 years 1 week ago #425047 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Damn DOGS!!!!!!!
Good advise Hawkspur. You have nothing to lose Ems - try it out. I think you will find that Poultry are protected in all the previous local Councils - now Auckland - so they have to respond to your issue.

More
12 years 1 week ago #425052 by FarmerEms
Replied by FarmerEms on topic Damn DOGS!!!!!!!
Hi people, I am Emma's partner. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on what I am required to do if I shoot a dog on my property? Am I required by law to notify a dog control officer or do I just act as though nothing happened. (i would prefer the latter as I am worried that the dog belongs to an unsavory bunch of people) Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

More
12 years 1 week ago #425053 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Damn DOGS!!!!!!!
You need to leave it where it lies and call the animal control people and notify them.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 1 week ago #425056 by John M
Replied by John M on topic Damn DOGS!!!!!!!
You could always drop everyone a letter signed or otherwise stating that you've had issues with dogs destroying your poultry, you've personally spoken to everyone in the immediate region and been assured that it isn't anyone's pets, therefore it must be wild/rogue dogs roving around the region and as such, you'll take steps to eradicate them.

Being wild dogs, you won't need to advise anyone :)

Of course the animal control officers will always want to be advised, and should know so they can scan for microchip and identify the owners. If that will lead to neighbourly problems, then the live trap option would be best. At least you have a culprit that may open avenues to reimbursement.

John

Breeding black Wiltshire shedding sheep.

Full shedding, easy care, good feet, easy lambing and good mothering is what it takes to make the breeding cut!

More
12 years 1 week ago #425058 by Farmer53
Replied by Farmer53 on topic Damn DOGS!!!!!!!
we have been told a section over the rd is being sold & the new people have a pitty they let roam, The neighbours where they live now are sick of it. sadly ti wont last to long around here

More
12 years 1 week ago #425061 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Damn DOGS!!!!!!!
I would be going down the roadwith f a letter drop explaining what a dog has done, that the animal will be shot/or trapped if found on your property [according to whichever law is applicabl]e and that animal control has been informed.
I would start with animal control and Hawspurs suggestion of the cage which councils usually lend you.
I had a friend whose sheep was mauled by a dog. The council lent them a trap and they trapped the neighbours dog on her land. It was then a matter between the control officer and the owner, and you are out of the loop.
Given that you live next to your neighbours, i would be preferring that as an option.
I would be starting with animal control as a first poiint of call and then follow their suggestions
p.s. the dog that was trapped in that instance, she later found out was not the dog that had killed the sheep!! So you do have to be quite careful, in this case the wrong dog was destroyed

More
12 years 1 week ago #425074 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Damn DOGS!!!!!!!
We've had a dog attack recently and lost about 15 chooks. Police didn't want to know, animal control took a note of it and that was it as we did, of course, not have a dog's body or a registration number.

However, we were told that it is within our rights to shoot any dog on our land.

I would be VERY careful with neighbour's dogs. We have one neighbour with a large dog and the chooks have wandered over there and the dog didn't do them any harm. So it is very reasonable to assume that this dog would not have done it.

I'd do as suggested above: Drop a note into your neighbours' letter boxes and I'd rather shoot with a camera than with a gun because if you have a picture of one of your neighbour's dogs on your property animal control will take care of this and you won't have an enemy amongst your neighbours.

Once they know what has happened they'll take extra care to keep their dogs where they belong.

More
12 years 1 week ago #425081 by lisaeve
Replied by lisaeve on topic Damn DOGS!!!!!!!
and what hawkspur said. We had a baited trap at our place for about a month after losing two chickens. They were very happy for it to be here although we didn't catch any dogs (just two wild cats which we got rid of).
I think our phone call to the neighbours telling them what had happened, having them deny it was their dogs, and then telling them we were getting a trap solved the problem.

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

More
12 years 1 week ago #425090 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Damn DOGS!!!!!!!
Mr Farmer Ems, if you have a current firearms licence I believe you have the right to shoot it if it is on your property.
Best to ring the council to check on current laws.

[;)] Do you think it has come from "behind" you??? [;)]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 1 week ago #425092 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Damn DOGS!!!!!!!
If you are planning on shooting the dog (and I don't blame you) I would definitely recommend you do a leaflet drop to the neighbours and invite them to talk if they think it could possibly have been theirs and include you are not looking for damages at this stage (if their conscience is guilty they might offer anyway), but that you just want to make sure you get the right dog.

More
12 years 1 week ago #425112 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Damn DOGS!!!!!!!
Legally, as discussed before, another's dog unattended on your property (if you have stock) is a dog that can be shot - you do not need to prove intent nor catch it in the act. Obviously a vindictive shooting would not be a good idea, nor is enticement legitimate - we are dog owners, 4 of the little monkeys, and are absolutely certain they do not get out without our knowledge because we do not want anyone to shoot them.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds