Woodsman Logfire

More
12 years 1 month ago #31689 by cackle
Woodsman Logfire was created by cackle
Hi we are looking at putting in a woodsman Tasman log burner could anyone out there tell me what these are like as a fire also we will be putting in wetback as well so any info would be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #424700 by Shropshire Blue
Replied by Shropshire Blue on topic Woodsman Logfire
Got a Woodsman Strongman and very happy with it

More
12 years 1 month ago #425096 by daerfamily
Replied by daerfamily on topic Woodsman Logfire
As above, woodsman strongman, excellent!

More
12 years 1 month ago #425100 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Woodsman Logfire
I have a Tarras and LOVE it - it pumps out a huge amount of heat. We have not hooked up the wetback yet but i imagine we will be swimming in hot water when we do.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
12 years 1 month ago #425128 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Woodsman Logfire
We have a Lady Kichener which I don't particularly like because the firebricks break too easily, and are very expensive to replace.
We have a wetback, so can turn off the hot water cylinder from the time we start lighting fires until we stop. With just the two of us, and washing every second or third day, and showering in the evening, we don't run out of hot water. Because we live in sunny Nelson, if we had a solar water heater as well, our water would get far too hot too often.
Position the fire underneath the hot water cylinder, and with as few bends as possible. This is much easier in a 2 storied house.
Only burn dry wood, that has been cut for at least a year for willow, and poplar, 2 years for pine and macrocarpa, 3 years for manuka and gum.
You will need to clean the flue ocassionally, especially if you use wet wood. So buy a flue cleaning kit of the correct size for your flue.
If you have trees that are higher than the chimney within about 30 meters of the house, you are likely to get smoke blown down the chimney and into the room when the wind is in the wrong direction. So be prepared to take the tops out of tall trees.
You need a water cylinder that will handle a wetback, so you might need a new cylinder.

More
12 years 1 month ago #425132 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Woodsman Logfire

LongRidge;422928 wrote: We have a Lady Kichener which I don't particularly like because the firebricks break too easily, and are very expensive to replace.

Just to say we had a Lady Kitchener for over 10 years and never broke a firebrick once....we're having a Contessa (a Lady Kitchener but side on) in our new place and I wouldn't have anything else [8D][8D] We ran radiators from our LK and will have underfloor heating in the new house using water heated by the Contessa. We'll also have solar water panels so we'll have plenty of hot water [}:)]

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 1 month ago #425257 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Woodsman Logfire
Kate, I've found some of the reasons why I was breaking the bricks.
1. The firewood must be dry. If wet wood is burnt, some of the evaporated moisture gets absorped into the bricks and if the heat is stopped soon after, that makes a pressure point in the bricks.
1a. Wet wood cools the fire lots, so if the fire is hot from burning the wood that has got dry from being burnt, when you put in the next lot of wet wood you suddenly cool the bricks and set up stress points in them.
2. I think we had a bad batch of bricks.
3. When the bricks are hot, great care is needed to not touch the bricks in case they are stressed, and that knock is the final straw.
4. Also, wood touching the bricks will cool the brick down and allow a bit of moisture to be absorped, thus making a stress point.
5. And others I cannot recall or don't know.
I wish I had known these simple facts prior to the purchase :-)

More
11 years 9 months ago #435219 by Sweetpea
Replied by Sweetpea on topic Woodsman Logfire
Hi there,

Cackle, did you end up installing the Tasman? We are considering the same model with wetback and would love to know how you are finding it (if you did choose it).

Actually, it is a while since I have stopped by the forums, but really would appreciate anyone's opinion here. Hubby is trying to convince me to go with the Woodsman Tasman. I am still leaning toward the Masport Osburn. Infuriatingly we are obliged to go for clean air options as we are sitting under the 2 hectare limit.

Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to reply :)

More
11 years 9 months ago #435275 by Crusha
Replied by Crusha on topic Woodsman Logfire
From what I have heard and experienced, don't get a Masport! We have a gas fire and the old one was a Masport which was putting out half the heat for twice the gas as our new fire (not a Masport). The guy who installed the new fire also used to service the old one and said that he would not touch a Masport with a barge-pole.

I don't know if others on here have had similar experiences, perhaps their wood/solid fuel fires are better, but I have heard the same elsewhere.

More
11 years 9 months ago #435375 by Sweetpea
Thanks. Hubby is really pushing for the Woodsman. Says they are a family firm who have been going for 125 years and are just up the road. Just so hard finding anyone who actually HAS one!!

More
11 years 9 months ago #435447 by Jen - Featherston
Replied by Jen - Featherston on topic Woodsman Logfire
we are putting in a contessa too Kate, we had one in the last place and LOVED it

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
11 years 9 months ago #435598 by steve1983
Replied by steve1983 on topic Woodsman Logfire
I've got a woodsman Tarras, hooked up to wetback in my new house.
Note: The piping is 9m from the wetback to cylinder. Takes about 3 hours burning to have boiling water. If you shorten the distance of the piping it will be more efficient.
Only thing im having trouble with is smoke coming into the room when I open the door. Just got to try another top hat
a+

Steve Brown Rural Contracting LTD
Fencing Contractor in Canterbury
FCANZ Member

More
11 years 8 months ago #441023 by cackle
Replied by cackle on topic Woodsman Logfire
Hi there have just seen your question we are going for the woodsman taras. We were looking at the lady Kitchener but they are much more expensive they are very good. But my brother deals with woodsman and we can get a fire through him. He has got the woodsman aspen in his home we went over to see it in action really impressed with it, we just need the bigger size for our large living room. The more I compare the two the more I feel the woodsman will suit the new addition we are adding on. Hope this helps.

More
11 years 8 months ago #441059 by Edith McGhee
Replied by Edith McGhee on topic Woodsman Logfire
We had a woodman tasman log fire on wetback in last rental proerty was absolutely awesome. Endless supply of hot water for 4 adults. power bill was really low. We just loaded up at night and shut it down kept going all night all we had to do in the morning was open the flue and put more wood on. Excellent with pinecones as fire starter. You will not regret having one of these.

More
11 years 8 months ago #441497 by Sweetpea
Thanks for the replies - we have ordered a Woodsman Tasman and it should be installed in the next couple of weeks. Good to know that others are happy with theirs :)

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds