Dog advise wanted...

More
11 years 11 months ago #31667 by DiDi
Dog advise wanted... was created by DiDi
I am really interested in any advise anyone has to help with this situation.

I met a lovely 91 year old lady yesterday who has had dogs all her life. I don't have the full story but I believe the female Bishon x Maltese bitch she has is about 12 months old It has been to puppy training, had a professional ? work with her but it is not working. Lovely natured dog but definitely alfa. Not suprising with such an elderly (but physically able) person.

She (owner) has recently moved to a new property which she is not happy at (children bought it for her!) in any way shape or form for starters. The dog is going to the door at night and howling and won't stop. She does sleep on the owners bed. So, we have an unhappy elderly owner, a seemingly unhappy dog that rules the roost and if I can, I would like to help her. Incidentally her dog was totally submissive to my poodle x bitch (6). My bitch is extremely well socialized with dogs and people and she basically just accepted her.

So the question is - what would you recommend happens in these circumstances. The little one is definitely a big x (Maltese) rather than a small x. I am happy to take the dog walking with mine but unsure about how far to get involved when she needs to be dominated by the owner and I can't see that happening - age and physical rather that not wanting too.

What would you do and suggest. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #424485 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Dog advise wanted...
i would suggest you take it with you and your little one ... your little one will teach the other dog the ropes :)
Also just a thought .. owner is not at all happy with the place from sounds of it ... :( that feeling and energy will transfer to the dog :(
Just my experience's .. so no idea if right or wrong

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 11 months ago #424505 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Dog advise wanted...
Thanks Stu - I agree with what you said about the owner being so unhappy and that is why I mentioned it in the thread. I will take the dog walking with me and hope she learns from mine but I guess I wasn't wording it as well as I could when I was asking for advise as to how to enable a 91 year old to become the pack leader in this situation and I was open to people saying "it ain't going to happen" or "my grandma had this happen and this is what we did" etc. Nobody can say anything wrong in answer to this thread - I genuinely wanted feedback negative or positive.

More
11 years 11 months ago #424506 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Dog advise wanted...
I still think its the unhappy energy transfer to the little dogs
I think personally , that you walking it with your dog will give it a break from the energy and will give it some time to be its self :)
I also agree though at 91 um she probably isn't going to become pack leader .. unless you can show her how to be :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 11 months ago #424513 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Dog advise wanted...
DiDi, I have NO experience with dogs but what Stu writes makes 100% sense. I had the impression that you, too, believe that there are things we can't yet explain, like negative energy.

This elderly lady didn't have the energy to speak up and say she wanted a different place to live. How on earth is she supposed to be the pack leader?? Unhappy lady, unhappy dog - not a good combination.

I'd carefully bring up the topic of moving.

More
11 years 11 months ago #424516 by Farmer53
Replied by Farmer53 on topic Dog advise wanted...
Swap it for a cat

More
11 years 11 months ago #424517 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Dog advise wanted...
simkin - there is no question of moving and the reason is that somehow this is tied up with a Will that meant when she sold her lovely property with fruit trees, a beautiful garden etc, the proceeds of the sale went to her children. This is not the first time (in the past 7 months) I have seen this having had another elderly lady I met with a dog in the same situation. She was on her rental property for 8 years and her children "decided" that she needed to move nearer to them so that she could look after her grandchildren while they worked. I swear she was holding back the tears as she told me this and how awful the property was that they had bought for her and here I go again. What the hell is wrong with the younger generation when they feel they can just stick their Mum somewhere that is cheap and suits them! My Mum is 96 next month and there is no way in hell I would do that to her (or my brothers and sister) as her money is her money until she passes - end of story!

I can but hope that the women of my generation have learnt to be astute with money and not settle for anything less. This is why I want to help this person. No one deserves this garbage from their own children. If I can find a happy place for her and her companion (Sweetie?) then good. Thing is - how do I get there when I have my own mother to care for and something inside me is saying - step back - not your problem. I know it isn't but my heart would do anything to help them both find peace. Maybe it is a few cups of tea and some quiet but firm input for the dog on her own territory?

More
11 years 11 months ago #424550 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Dog advise wanted...
The old lady needs to reclaim her Alpha position with the dog. She does not need strength, it is more subtle than that.
She just needs to consistantly assert her Alpha position and be the leader rather than the slave. The dog senses the situation is out of control and is taking over because the old lady is not taking charge.

1... GET THE DOG OFF THE BED. Alpha dogs always sleep on the best and highest point.

2. THE LADY MUST EAT FIRST before the dog has anything to eat. Alpha dogs always eat first and best.

3. THE LADY MUST BE THE FIRST IN OR OUT THE DOOR. The Alpha dog leads the pack.

4. GET THE DOG OFF THE FURNITURE. The Alpha maintains the highest position.

5. GET THE DOG TO MOVE OUT OF THE WAY. The Alpha has right of way.

That is just the start that I can remember. The name of the book... Leader of the Pack
www.amazon.com/Leader-Pack-Nancy-Baer/dp/0061010197 #_
you might be able to find it in the local library.

Sleeping on the old lady's bed means the dog is on the same level as her which puts the dog into a dominant position.
If the laundry has a door that can be shut, transfer the dog's sleeping quarters into there. Do not open the door until the dog is quiet and the lady is ready to let it out.

I had to house sit a Maltese Terror for 3 weeks for a workmate. I came to dislike the Maltese breed as they will take 2 miles if you give them half an inch, and assume it is their right to do so.
It will take one to two weeks to change things around, but it can be done.
Definately get the book to read up on if you can.

More
11 years 11 months ago #424556 by Denneaux
Replied by Denneaux on topic Dog advise wanted...
Dog crate for puppy, earplugs for owner and neighbours. It will shut up after a few days. A good routine re dog feeding and exercise will help mental health if both dog and owner. Sounds like they are both unsettled with the move. Good neighbours like you will make transition much easier for them. Keep it up!

Sent from my Ideos using Tapatalk

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
11 years 11 months ago #424559 by llvonn
Replied by llvonn on topic Dog advise wanted...
On a side note - It might be worth contacting the local Age Concern. they may be able to help the lady through the problem and offer advice etc. They also offer a visitor service that may help with her emotional side as well (although it does rely on volunteers)

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
11 years 11 months ago #424597 by Shaendix
Replied by Shaendix on topic Dog advise wanted...
I would crate the dog beside the bed at night until it learns to wait until the lady is up in the morning. That way she can reassure it if it becomes upset at being crated. It could then graduate to a basket. Once it was used to the crate I would also use it when she goes out so the dog isn't having the run of the house.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 4 cocker spaniels (+/- pups) 9 chooks and almost a LSB to keep em all on! :)

More
11 years 11 months ago #424605 by gemini kiwi
Replied by gemini kiwi on topic Dog advise wanted...
Didi I think walking this pup with your's is also a good idea, I can't see how a 91 year old is up to it, what is that saying a tired puppy is a good puppy.
I
also agree about the alpha training.

More
11 years 11 months ago #424618 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Dog advise wanted...

llvonn;422306 wrote: On a side note - It might be worth contacting the local Age Concern. they may be able to help the lady through the problem and offer advice etc. They also offer a visitor service that may help with her emotional side as well (although it does rely on volunteers)

Great idea, or perhaps the Lions Club? Maybe they could come around and build her a garden or donate and plant some trees/shrubs/roses or something? Or even build a playground area for the dog?

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds