coughing cow please help

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422860 by daerfamily
Replied by daerfamily on topic coughing cow please help
Yeah there is a lady at school and they run dairy heifers on their 5ha and she said they get them as yearlings, get them pregnant and sell the calves to the dairy farmer ... perhaps she can get me some steers. We dont mind if they are dairy or beef, we just need the grass down more than anything else. So will avoid the sales yards .... my brother also knows someone who works for PGG and he will probably get us something good he wouldn't disappoint us. I am looking forward to the spring .... I'm just hoping this cow survives otherwise the other one will be lonely!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422862 by JaneF
Replied by JaneF on topic coughing cow please help
What a sod of an unscrupulous seller! It's a tough learning curve with calves, sometimes they do get sick but I wouldn't expect a healthy weaned calf to have issues - so most unlikely to be anything you've done!

I rear a few calves each year for the sheer enjoyment of it, don't make any money as I keep them on twice a day quality milk powder until eight weeks and don't usually wean until 12 weeks plus ad lib top quality moozli etc. I figure I really only break even (esp with price of milk powder this year) but I love doing it so just a hobby. They don't grow as well as cow-reared calves of course but are usually still very nice calves.

Good to ask your local vet for a reputable supplier, word of mouth is the way to go. And would recommend you stick with weaners until you get more experience under your belt, rearing four day olds can be fraught with expense and grief!

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422885 by daerfamily
Righto afternoon update. Cole (the steer calf) has been eating alot and drinking alot of water. He has also been lying down chewing on his cud and I did not notice him doing this yesterday. He has not coughed yet (that I have noticed though of course I am not looking at him 100% of the time!) ... do you think this is a good sign? He looks more alert also. How quickly could these meds have worked, this quickly? It's been 24 hours?!

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422895 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic coughing cow please help
Thats good news he appears to be acting normally. The antibiotics may have kicked in to help with those mouth ulcers to make him feel more able to cud properly.

Lets hope that is all that was, on top of perhaps a worm burden, and he continues to improve and put on weight.

Let us know when you get the blood results back. Because BVD tends to be a disease which affects normal immunity to other things, the persistently infected (PI)specimens just get everything that is going and suffer accordingly.
Your boy might just be suffering from poor rearing and will eventually pick up.
Here is an Irish link to some BVD information I found when I googled to find out about twins!

JaneF, note these calves were bought as weaners, not as 4 day olds!

Yes, we all get the problem ones-even breeding our own!
I've got a yearling, well she is actually 20 months old, that is a twin of a bull, hence my question to CV! I have since found a reference which says if one is tested negative both twins should be negative to BVD.

She is persistently pooey-very watery, which she spreads over her rear end all the time. Her brother was normal and tested negative to BVD back in September-so if they had caught it from their mother I would have imagined they would both have been infected-as his blood affects her reproductive development in the uterus and I suspect she is infertile.

However despite several doses of wormer (3 different ones)and far more than my cattle normally get, plus VitB and selenium injections and a vet visit-she hasn't improved.
Well actually her condition has improved as she was very nearly dog tucker mid winter after she was weaned after 8 months on her mother-but she is now heading toward Homekill-but the sight of her poo covered rear is not nice. I have clipped all the hair off her tail twice in a year, to reduce the khaki spread!

So far she is lively, bright eyed and active and weighs 360kgs which is about 100kgs lighter than her herd sisters of the same age.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422899 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic coughing cow please help

Sue;420315 wrote: Cowvet, a question regarding BVD that Ruth and I have discussed.
In a set of mixed sex twins, if the bull calf blood tests antigen negative to BVD, does that mean the heifer twin will also be negative?

sorry - forgot about your question!

science would say that she should be...but - it is never 100% ... and given that she is a freemartin and only being raised for beef then i would test her at the same time you did her twin...what's another few bucks for the almighty peace of mind when it comes to BVD.

Hypothetically speaking if a cow got BVD for the first time while she was pregnant (or was a PI herself) with twins she would/could pass it to her offspring - how this affects the calves depends on the stage of pregnancy that it is passd on to the foetuses and whether or not their immune systems are developed. It is possible given the variation in what BVD does at the stage of pregnancy,and an individual calf may develop immunity at different stages during the pregnancy...it is possible that your twin calfs could have two different BVD status. Not hugely likely but possible.

I would test her because nature sometimes surprises us ...and i don't like surprises.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422905 by Sue
Ha, thanks CV, I think!
Because her brother was blood tested, along with all the yearling bulls last September, and was negative, and also their mother has had calves negative tested before -so it ruled out her as a PI as well, I just thought that bovine twins, which seem to share placental blood-thus making the female usually infertile in a mixed sex set-would have inferred she was also negative.

The bull has long been sold and I have done the 'pool blood test' on this years crop of bulls-so she would have to be a one off test. She looked OK as a calf, it just seems to have been since she was weaned in March last year!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422906 by Sue
Here she was with mother and brother around Feb last year, she is the one at the front under Mums chin-still with a clean bum!

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/420420=10449-IMG_5755 - Copy.jpg[/img]

Sue

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422907 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic coughing cow please help
Daerfamily I suggest you think seriously about Cowvet's advice as your vet will know who has BVD in their herd and who does not. If you read up about it as per Sue's link you will see that its something you don't want and if you have cows next door they will be at risk from over the fence contact too.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422919 by daerfamily
Thanks everyone. After looking at him on and off all day I didn't notice anything 'bad' until just now when I saw him coughing (only twice this time) and some dribble came out of his mouth. He has been dribbling a bit - could be the ulcers but he's also cutting teeth. Still crossing everything I have until Monday and only hoping tomorrow is even better than today was.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422924 by hilldweller
Eating lots, drinking, and lying down cudding are good signs - that's basically what healthy cattle do with their day :) I wouldn't assume BVD is a certainty just because the vet has tested for it - it's an obvious thing for the vet to want to confirm or rule out, and you might be lucky and find he's one of the cases where it can be ruled out. Poor rearing and feeding when he was young(er) could have made him more susceptible to other problems.

I'm sure there are unscrupulous sellers out there but I suspect there are also a lot in dairying now who are just plain ignorant. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the younger ones have never seen a well fed cow-reared calf in their life!

Well done for getting the vet onto this one pronto.

Oh, and please don't call him a cow - it's very confusing :) A cow is an adult female. He's a steer or a weaner or a calf or an R1 (rising one year old).

hilldweller

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422947 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic coughing cow please help

daerfamily;420434 wrote: ... but he's also cutting teeth.

Why do you believe he's cutting teeth?

Calves retain their milk teeth until they're about two years old, then their first two adult incisors erupt; the next two about a year later; repeated twice more until they have eight adult teeth at the front to replace the original milk teeth.

I've some photos from yesterday of a mouth with various teeth, but haven't had a chance to process them yet.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422951 by daerfamily
When he was lying down with the vet he checked his teeth and he was the one who told me he was cutting teeth and you could see two coming through.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422962 by Ruth
Front teeth? Or did the vet not specify? I think some of the molars can come in a bit later, but I'll have to look that up. CV might tell us.

Why was the calf lying down so helpfully? Was it that sick, or had you wrestled it to the ground and restrained it?

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422967 by hilldweller
I'm glad you asked that Ruth! I was trying to think what would be happening with teeth at 6 months and realised I hadn't a clue. I had 2yrs in mind for the front teeth changing over but have never given a thought to the back ones.

How is the calf today DF?

hilldweller

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422972 by Ruth
Could be one of the permanent molars, if the vet looked that far back - but that's quite hard to do in a live and conscious bovine! I wish I'd kept the heifer's head for further examination now. Bugger.

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds