coughing cow please help

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422712 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic coughing cow please help
Good call Daerfamily.
If he is a PI (persistently infected) BVD case, try asking for your money back from the guy you bought him off!
Hopefully the vet will have fixed what ails him if it isn't BVD and he starts to pick up. He has that look of a sick calf about his face, ears down sort of miserable look.

Agree tonic about your well grown and healthy animal-sleek coat, well filled out over the hips and no pot gut. The result of being reared on a cow, whether sharing or not!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422714 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic coughing cow please help
Ulcers in the mouth sound pretty unhappy for the animal! If it's a persistently infected calf and this is mucosal disease, which is a fatal development of BVD, you'll need to have him put down, because there's no other outcome and the death would be horrid.

Here are my lot:

They're six months old, just weaned, and the steers have just left this morning to live somewhere else.

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422737 by daerfamily
Replied by daerfamily on topic coughing cow please help
My goodness I feel sick just looking at your pictures of your healthy calves when mine is so poorly, I feel awful thinking that he is sick. I was nearly in tears when he was lying down on the grass while the vet checked him over. I dont know what to do or where to begin. The other cow the vet said is much healthier though still a little underweight he said that they probably didn't have as much feed as they should have when they were younger. He said the other cow will be fine he will eat what he needs to and he's more rounded and filled out. I suspect he probably does have BVD from birth and in that case yes we will have him put down. I feel awful. I knew I should never have gotten animals because I can't handle the downside of it all. I wish I could wrap him up and take care of him, but of course, with 3 kids under 6 time is precious.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422738 by daerfamily
Oh and I rang the guy we bought them off, all he said was 'it's got nothing to do with me'. SO if the result is that he was sick when we got him, I will take him to small claims court if I have to.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422739 by billmckinstry
Don't give up. What ever happens this time only helps for the future.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422740 by billmckinstry

daerfamily;420241 wrote: Oh and I rang the guy we bought them off, all he said was 'it's got nothing to do with me'. SO if the result is that he was sick when we got him, I will take him to small claims court if I have to.

Whatever the outcome is, you know this person is not safe to deal with again.

A response like that is not what a reputable trader would give. Even if there is no reason to compensate you, that response is not what he should have given your initial communication regarding the health of an animal recently purchased.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422742 by Ruth
As a first-timer, you will sometimes be taken to the cleaners. It's happened to a lot of us and it stinks, but unless you get the assistance of someone who already knows something about animals/farming, you're a sitting duck for the unscrupulous.

Calves which are smaller than their contemporaries are generally ailing, either from disease or under-nutrition, which leaves them prone to infection anyway. The best defence against ill health in animals is feeding them well.

Many calf rearers put as little as they can into rearing their calves, so their profit level is enhanced, especially if they can find someone willing to pay well for the calves at weaning. That weaning happens months earlier than it does with beef calves on their mothers, which is what makes most of the difference between your calves and the others here.

You have to learn to do the best you can for them, behave responsibly when things go wrong, and know that they're still second to your children/family in your emotional life.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422759 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic coughing cow please help

daerfamily;420240 wrote: My goodness I feel sick just looking at your pictures of your healthy calves when mine is so poorly, I feel awful thinking that he is sick. I was nearly in tears when he was lying down on the grass while the vet checked him over. I dont know what to do or where to begin. The other cow the vet said is much healthier though still a little underweight he said that they probably didn't have as much feed as they should have when they were younger. He said the other cow will be fine he will eat what he needs to and he's more rounded and filled out. I suspect he probably does have BVD from birth and in that case yes we will have him put down. I feel awful. I knew I should never have gotten animals because I can't handle the downside of it all. I wish I could wrap him up and take care of him, but of course, with 3 kids under 6 time is precious.

don't beat yourself up, we all start somewhere and learn as we go! i get emotionally attaatched to my animals and when something goes wrong it is usual for me to fall into a 'i am going to give them all up as it is too hard'. but in the long run i return to a more balanced place and keep enjoying the animals in my care...

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422763 by Ruth

Ruth;420245 wrote: ...You have to learn to do the best you can for them, behave responsibly when things go wrong, and know that they're still second to your children/family in your emotional life.

And I commend you for calling in expert veterinary help straight away. Do please let us know what the results are.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422799 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic coughing cow please help

daerfamily;420241 wrote: Oh and I rang the guy we bought them off, all he said was 'it's got nothing to do with me'. SO if the result is that he was sick when we got him, I will take him to small claims court if I have to.

there is karma. if this person is a dairy farmer and he has active BVD in his herd it will likely be biting him to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars every year!

I love animals...they're delicious

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422802 by cowvet

daerfamily;420210 wrote: Right, vet said: Suspected BVD. Taken bloods away. Gave him an antibiotic, wormer and vit b12. He said he is underweight and struggling with ulcers in his mouth also. He said if it was BVD from birth he's no good, otherwise he'll come right in a couple of days. Have all my fingers and toes crossed, and god only knows how much the bill will amount to.

Dare i say it but the value of the calf is going to me more than the vet bill and you pretty much threw that meny away as soon as you paid for the calf. Vets are amazing sources of information and education and you may want to think about asking their advice on where to get GOOD quality calves in the future.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422809 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic coughing cow please help
Cowvet, a question regarding BVD that Ruth and I have discussed.
In a set of mixed sex twins, if the bull calf blood tests antigen negative to BVD, does that mean the heifer twin will also be negative?

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422849 by daerfamily
You all seem so wise :-) Right now I think I might have to stick to my orchard! At least there's not really an emotional attachment to fruit lol. We are going to get some cows in to graze the remainder of our 10acres ..... just for the winter so we can start fresh in the spring!

I have been watching the 'sick' calf since I could see through the darkness outside and from what I can tell all he has done is eat. I am taking this as a good sign. He is walking about like 'normal' and eating away. Once drop off is complete for school and pre-school ... I will take a closer observation. How long should it take for a wormer to have effect on them both? I think we will worm them every 28 days now until they are adults .... so long as this one makes it through.

And hallelujah we have rain today so I dont need to pump endless amounts of water onto my fruit trees.

Thanks again for all your input, yes I am a novice but we all have been at some point I guess. We also never grew up with anything like this as we are both city folk so it is all a learning curve. I still have my fingers crossed and I am telling myself in 3 weeks this calf could not have got sick from our grass .... we have so much of it, I think they were just underweight when we got them. We are going to go through PGG next time or yard sales.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422854 by cowvet

daerfamily;420359 wrote: We are going to go through PGG next time or yard sales.

No - that would not be a good way to get the best calves....like i said a vet would be able to point you in the direction of a farm that gives their calves a really good start on colostrum at the right time and that have a BVD control program in place.

You have NO idea of these things from a sale yards .... and most stock agents would not know much about BVD or colostrum management

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #422855 by muri
Replied by muri on topic coughing cow please help
Many of us are city folk and started there and moved rural and have had to learn as well. It sounds to me that you have done the right thing with this calf since finding out he was sick.
I was in getting wormer for my calves and the vet said every three months for their first year of life is sufficient.
It is probably quite a good idea to find someone in the neighbourhood with some knowledge about cattle to help you find what you want. The person putting cattle on will surely be able to help you, to see the difference between good and poor cattle.
The markets are usually the place where a lot of the dregs go, well at least around here talking about the kumeu markets. When i stay for the cattle I am appalled at the condition of many of these animals, and there is no need for it at this time of the year with all this grass.
Sounds to me like sue and ruth should be getting their heads together and writing an article about what to look for when buying an animal.
Those are mighty fine youngsters of yours Ruth and they would have definitely been the kind of animal i would be looking for to grace my paddocks

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds