coughing cow please help

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #424279 by daerfamily
Replied by daerfamily on topic coughing cow please help
Yeah come to think of it he probably is just a middle man, but they need to get to the bottom of it, and after all, he'll still have to prove that he is looking after them on his property. From what I could see when I was there there wasn't much looking after, they were all penned up in a yard with mud and crap all over them.

I just called the Hornby number, 03 349 7057 I'm not sure who I spoke to, but just mention that I called today and my last name is Daer .... I gave them his address and phone number, so they should be able to put two and two together. Would be great if you could, let me know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #424416 by daerfamily
RIght got a call from the SPCA inspector, they are on their way out to the property. I told them I wasn't sure where he got the cows from or anything, she told me if they're on his property he needs to be taking care of them obviously and if he isn't then he is at fault just as much as the person he got them off. Also she said he shouldn't be selling them for such a high price when they are from poorer beginnings. She will call me once they have inspected the property.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #424420 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic coughing cow please help
Good to hear they're getting onto it promptly. :)

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #424443 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic coughing cow please help
Wow that was a quick response from the SPCA DF! I spent the morning in Rangiora so I haven't phoned them yet. I'll be interested to know what she reports back to you!

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #424479 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic coughing cow please help
With all due respect to SPCA and the work they do...but the Chch team have little large animal expertise. MAF is a far better option and should be used in farm animal situations.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
10 years 6 months ago #474366 by daerfamily
UPDATE:
Gosh it seemed so long ago that I was on here asking for help, and now here I am, letting everyone know that this week is bitter sweet for me as I said goodbye to this beast who we had through the ringer last autumn. He was home-killed on Tuesday. He turned out to be a lovely steer, slightly more willing to allow a pat to the nose than the others were, and always came up to the fence to say hello.

We dont know the hook weight yet, but he seemed in very good health considering his very poor start in life. It just goes to show a 'good' ending can come from such a poor beginning. Even though the ending in this case is a freezer.

Many thanks all again for helping and advising me on my first expedition as a cattle owner.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds