Dogs Wrongly Accused

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #420190 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
Cinsara - on this I do not agree with you. I wrote a reply to this but when posting I had - once again - lost internet connection. I am Sooooo over this. Serve to Vodafone tomorrow.

So I am too tired to write it all again. Basically, my response is that unless you have a record of how many chickens are left after the slaughter and no doubt dated photographic evidence to prove that, if no more chickens die then it can be presumed (with the dogs removed) that they were killed by vjp's dogs.

Well that is a nonsense as the people with the wandering dogs may have tied them up this week. The Hawks, Ferrets may not have liked the weather and gone to ground. There is nothing to be gained by removing her dogs.

If I were vjp (sorry if that is wrong but to return to Pg 1 would lose this reply) I would want to know without doubt that my dogs are not going over there and there is only one way to prove that and that is 24/7 vigilance on my property.

I do have a history on this with a rescue dog that in hindsight killed four Calf Club lambs (provided by me) on a neighbours property. I finally caught her sneaking home (never having believed that she would have left my yard), no blood, no sign - but my neighbour arrived hysterical within minutes (saw her drive in) and the lamb had been savaged and it's heart was still beating (that she could see). Thankfully my ex was a Vet and she was put down that night. No further problems.

My question to vjp is just how sure she is that it was not her dogs? JR's are hopeless to contain HOWEVER, I repeat, I am not blaming her dogs. She has to know in her heart that there is not way and if she is that sure, then the dogs should be home. If not, them permanent rehoming to an urban area is the only answer. I also have a history of searching for missing JR's so not my favourite dogs!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #420194 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused

DiDi;417383 wrote: Cinsara - on this I do not agree with you. I wrote a reply to this but when posting I had - once again - lost internet connection. I am Sooooo over this. Serve to Vodafone tomorrow.

Haha oh no how frustrating lol.

There are two compelling sides to this topic, but personally I would send my dogs away, even rehome them permanently, rather than run any risk of them being blamed for more of these "crimes" and possibly being destroyed.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #420229 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
I could never send away my beloved dog for crimes not committed, particularly in this case where the woman is not even on the property and has no idea what is going on.
If you did have concerns that they could be sneaking off, you can always get those electric fences to keep them on the property.
That should satisfy anyone who thinks they could be perpetrators of a crime off site

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #420567 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
I'd be interested in an update on this one - how are you faring?

More
12 years 1 week ago #421045 by muri
My neighbour has emailed me for the second time to see if I keep my dog on my property at night.
A couple of years ago their pet duck was killed.
The duck lived here for a while and my dog knew he wasnt allowed to chase her and normally left her alone.
They claim they saw my dog up on their property at 10.30 the night before the duck disappeared.
He did used to go up there to visit his girlfriend, another border collie, but that was well over several years ago now.
This week they found a heron killed in their orchard, all the feathers pulled off. So the kill was for fun and not for eating.
My dog is a border collie x german short haired pointer. Killing birds is a better sport for him than rounding up sheep.
I am pretty sure its not him as he doesnt actually ever climb through fences. He goes over gates. The gate that enabled him to get up on to the neighbours drive has been moved so he couldnt get thru that way.
Its a bit awkward.
I was wondering what else would come along and tackle a heron like that.
Not sure if it happened during the day or night as am not sure how often they go thru their orchard area or check it.
Dont actually want to ask too many questions.
I am pretty sure its not my dog and they are obviously sure it is my dog
Any idea on what would kill a bird in that way?

More
12 years 1 week ago #421047 by Jen - Featherston
not sure Muri - but can you put your hand on your heart and say your dog was confined to your property all night? If there is a chance that your dog could have gotten outside of your property then you just don't know.

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
12 years 1 week ago #421053 by DiDi
That is the whole point Jen in these situations. Unless you can guarantee that your dog does not leave your property then there is no way of knowing if it is the culprit.

Personally I have no idea what could/would have killed a heron but having had them on my farm, I can't understand how the dog would have got to it before it saw danger and flew away - assuming daylight.

I watched my cat attempt to catch a sparrow - I was in awe of how fast she was and the height she could jump but relieved that the sparrow escaped minus a couple of feathers - so maybe a feral cat got it? Doesn't really explain why the "sport" aspect comes into this but ...

I just know with my own dog that I know where she is 24/7 and anything less on a rural property is just not on. I can add that the dog that killed the next door lambs was a rescue German Pointer so again - not my favourite dogs. Not her fault - very badly treated before rescue etc but once bitten (literally as well) twice shy of certain breeds.

More
12 years 1 week ago #421054 by muri
No Jen, I have already said that my dog has been off my property at night.
I cannot prove it wasnt him, I am just saying that as his previous point of entry is now closed to him I feel it may not have been him.
Border collies are pretty loyal and tend not to wander.
They border onto 4 other farms as well, all of whom have dogs, altho they have never seen any of the neighbours dogs on their property
What I am most interested in, is not so much trying to find out if it was him or not but what other annimal would have killed the bird and stripped its feathers of??

More
12 years 1 week ago #421055 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
Hi, if he Heron was roosting in the trees a Ferret or Stoat could have got him. If your dog was home and chained up at night and still there in the morning you have nothing to worry about. Cheers and good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
12 years 1 week ago #421107 by Denneaux
Replied by Denneaux on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused

4trees;418334 wrote: Hi, if he Heron was roosting in the trees a Ferret or Stoat could have got him. If your dog was home and chained up at night and still there in the morning you have nothing to worry about. Cheers and good luck.

Even if it wasn't your dog, it would be a sign of good faith towards your neighbours if you were to chain him up.

:)

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
12 years 1 week ago #421114 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
If you do not chain or otherwise confine your dog you are inviting troubles of this nature. A fence does not constitute confinement. The enclosure must also have a roof of some sort even if it is only wire netting.

More
12 years 1 week ago #421130 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
I've seen dogs jumping over a 6 foot fence and kill our chooks so a normal farm fence is NO containment for a dog.

Feathers strewn everywhere, dead heron lying around - must have been a dog. Ferret doesn't take feathers off, dog does. The early hours would be the most likely time for this to happen when the heron stands in the grass. To prove it the wounds could be inspected - you can see the canines' 'impressions' in the flesh.

More
12 years 1 week ago #421131 by Farmer53
Replied by Farmer53 on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused

muri;418333 wrote: No Jen, I have already said that my dog has been off my property at night.
I cannot prove it wasnt him, I am just saying that as his previous point of entry is now closed to him I feel it may not have been him.
Border collies are pretty loyal and tend not to wander.
They border onto 4 other farms as well, all of whom have dogs, altho they have never seen any of the neighbours dogs on their property
What I am most interested in, is not so much trying to find out if it was him or not but what other annimal would have killed the bird and stripped its feathers of??

that bit worrys me, You cant trust any dog specialy if you know he has wanderd in the past.

More
12 years 1 week ago #421133 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
Our dogs categorically can't get out and about without us, but I wouldn't be trusting them if they could. Dogs are dogs when to comes down to it. Our two larger dogs, Border Collies will go through mains powered electric fences when they are out with us, if they think they need to. If a dog needs to get to somewhere it will go over, under or through whatever it needs to, to get to the other side.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 1 week ago #421173 by DiDi
I read this this morning and deliberately did not answer as I wanted to hear what others had to say. I don't get it muri. You are such an asset to this site with your plant knowledge and yet how is it that you have not heard what other have said about your responsibility when it comes to your dogs? Not contained at night? Are you crazy?

I have just said night but on a LSB, you have to be in control of your dogs 24/7. "He used to got up there to visit his girlfriend". Have you not heard of male menapause?

Sorry muri but I have gone past how the heron died to wondering why you aren't taking care of your own so that there is no possible accusation against your dog. Just don't get it.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds