Dogs Wrongly Accused

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #419768 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
VJP, just be aware that she can claim she has been more often than you think
She will say you must have been out when she came?
Next think she will be accusing you of stalking her.
Sometimes it can pay to back off when things get heated.
Plant a big hedge if you can so you wont have to see their coming and going
But definitely if you are concerned about the animals then call animal control and let them decide for themselves.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #419822 by llvonn
Replied by llvonn on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
Hi there
I have dealt with a nightmare neighbour (threatened to kill me and my dog and st animal welfare onto me as well).
My advice, protect yourself starting now. Start keeping a diary. This is admissable as evidence - especially if you provide dates and times.
From what you say, their chickens are coming onto your property. They should make sure that their animals remain on their property. Take photos and record it in your diary every time. If you see their animals in distress - call animal control and take photos (and record it in your diary).
Regarding the assault. Ring the police and lay charges. Most Councils record calls. If she has made the complaint to animal control you could request a copy of the recording under the official information act. This is applicable if she has been charged with the assault. If she continues to be abusive to you - this can go in your favour. Use your cell phone to record any abuse she yells at you. If you are part of the conversation, she doesn't need to know that she is being recorded.
Hope this helps.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #419830 by 2D
Replied by 2D on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
It could be ferrets. We are up from Bombay and have had ferrets on our place. Local lore is that there was a fitch farm which went bust some years ago and just released the ferrets. There are not too many around now but a ferret can do an enormous amount of damage to hens etc.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #419834 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
aahh VJP what a terrible situation for you..i too had my dog wrongly accused.. abusive phone call from neighbour at 6am saying my dog was killing his chooks ( as he was on the phone abusing me..go figure, wouldnt you think he would have tried to save them rather than watch and make a ph call? ) anyhoo, he was not going to listen when i said that it wasnt my dog as mine was asleep in my bed!. didnt want to know and still tells everyone in the neighbourhood that it was my old blind dog

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #419838 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
We're just down on Paparimu Rd - and have seen ferrets on the Paparata side from time to time - but none down where we are so far... (Touch Wood)

I agree with the suggestion that you keep a diary - even if that is the only thing that you put in the diary - also write down the day and time that you sent the poochies on their wee holiday - so that if any more chookies go missing while they are away, you can point to your diary with accuracy.

As much as I hate to think of any animals in pain or neglect, I would suggest that you call AC whenever you see an animal in distress - and make a note in your diary rather than the more neighbourly thing of getting the animal out of the prediciment that they are in. At some point you have to cover your own backside as she sounds somewhat irrational.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #419863 by bev
Replied by bev on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
animal control dont do neighbour control !

Without evidience it is who says they says ..

As for the welfare of the animals ( or lack of ) Not animal controls department, only if animals are out where they shouldnt be IE out on the road, or on your property and they not yours. You will be told if it is a welfare case, ring your SPCA or MAF.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #419886 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
Hi vjp, the most important thing is to keep dates, times and photos this often doesn't appear to seem important, but at the end often that is what is required when things start to brew. Note down time etc. when the neighbour turned up and had words and accusations, and a little bit about the conversation. If there are dead animals or sick animals on their property photos, times and dates, keep a diary.
Also the poultry e.g. hens and turkeys do drink quite a lot of water so without folk checking them, they could be without water if there is no automatic watering, also cattle etc. Good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #419894 by Jen - Featherston
hugs vjp what a horrible situation to find yourself in. I am glad you have a friend the dogs can stay with, not that they should have to but you obviously care about them greatly and its the only way to keep them safe.

I agree with others, keep a diary, take pictures when needed, and while I would not lay charges, I would just pop into the police station in person and explain what has happened and that you are worried.

If you know other neighbours in the area, let them know what is happening as well and ask them to keep an eye out. If you don't know them maybe now is the time to get to know them - the more ally's you have the safer you will feel and the more support you will have.

Its so awful to think that you might have to live next to these people someday :(

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #419970 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
Henderson? In that case, DEFINITELY call Animal Control!

A bit of a heads up for those outside West Auckland... their animal control officers are also warranted inspectors & are VERY proactive so I would call them & ask them to come out & meet BOTH parties onsite.

It sounds to me as though she's completely understood what you meant when you said 'sorry' about the birds. Did she think you were apologising rather than empathising?

I would get Animal Control to explain this to her at the same time as they inspect her level of care of her animals.

Meantime, I'd be being VERY honest with myself as to whether or not my dogs could possibly have had any opportunity at all to kill anything. Could they have grabbed them through the fence? Are you really watching them every second of every day? They can do a LOT of damage in literally seconds & every dog is capable.

I'm with my dogs pretty much 24/7 & I'm comfortable that they don't wander when I'm here & are locked up when I'm not. However, right now, I'm upstairs & only two out of three dogs are here. I'm assuming the other is out having a toilet stop, a drink or lazing around on the deck but I couldn't be absolutely positive...

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #419999 by Vanaheim
Replied by Vanaheim on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
i,d have slapped her and tied the dead chook to her collar. Bad dog.

Bræðr munu berjask ok at bönum verðask,
munu systrungar sifjum spilla;
hart er í heimi, hórdómr mikill,
skeggöld, skalmöld, skildir ro klofnir,
vindöld, vargöld, áðr veröld steypisk;
mun engi maðr öðrum þyrma.

Brothers shall fight | and fell each other,
And sisters' sons | shall...

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #420013 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
I must admit that I am not sure why you have taken your dogs away from the situation if you are 100% sure they were not the culprits. Surely this now looks like guilt?

I am NOT suggesting your dogs had anything to do with the deaths but not sure why you have chosen the path you have? I can only relate it to myself and there is no way in hell I would have removed my own dog(s) as it is your home, their home and this nutter is controlling your life? No way!

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #420036 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused

GloPony;417139 wrote:
It sounds to me as though she's completely understood what you meant when you said 'sorry' about the birds. Did she think you were apologising rather than empathising?

Oops! I meant MISunderstood.

I'm inclined to agree with Didi, why remove your dogs if you're adamant they haven't done anything?

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #420123 by lisaeve
Replied by lisaeve on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
doesn't sound like fun. Just to add; we think two of our chooks were taken by a roaming dog. We phoned the Council and AC brought us up a cage with bait to leave near the run, in case the dog came back. We also phoned our nearest neighbours and told them what had happened, but they denied that any of their dogs had been on the loose.
either way, we caught two wild cats, but no dog.
If your dogs really don't go out without you, then I don't see how this person can claim they were responsible for killing the birds. all they can do is set a trap and wait to see if anything comes of it. If your dogs are only with you, then they won't get caught in the trap, so no skin off your nose? I'd bring your dogs back, otherwise like others have said it looks like you're in the wrong. Or are you worried that these people might harm your dogs in retaliation?

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #420137 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
I don't agree

removing the dogs can prove that they were not the culprits if it happens again and the dogs are simply not there

At the end of the day, if the owner of the aforementioned chookies doesn't bother to check on them more than once a fortnight (for whatever reason) then she is not being a responsible owner in anyones book.

So...

Steps to take

Removal of the dogs temporarily......................Check
Diary started ...............................................
More aware of animal situation across fence.......Check
Spoken to Police ..........................................
Spoken to Animal Control................................
Mix a stiff drink ............................................

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #420162 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused

KiplingAngel;417324 wrote: removing the dogs can prove that they were not the culprits if it happens again and the dogs are simply not there.

I agree and think it's a perfectly logical preventative measure to take.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds