Dogs Wrongly Accused

More
12 years 1 month ago #31203 by vjp
Dogs Wrongly Accused was created by vjp
Hi all. I am very upset. Last week we noticed a few chickens and turkeys had been killed on an adjacent vacant property to ours. Farmland next to ours has been sub divided and the people who have purchased the section, have had chickens, turkeys and cattle + sheep however they dont live there and probably come by once every 2 weeks at the moment. Many times we have had to pull stock out of the swamp and avoid the chickens on the driveway. I dont have their contact details and today when going into town I stopped and said to them as they were coming into the driveway, sorry about their chickens. I was abused and pyhsically pushed around around (she tried to shut the car door on my arm), yelled at and called a liar. The upshot despite been told our jack russells are contained all the time (and they really are) she is convinced they killed her turkeys etc. She has said she has called animal control. The point I made that our dogs didnt touch her animals and we had actually worried about their welfare and fed them after seeing them neglected and left alone for weeks on end. A[xx(]ny advice welcome!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #419725 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
vip - Her claim that she has "called animal control" is total rubbish! I don't even have to be there to know that that old acorn has been raised on this site before in similar situations. Besides so what? Whooppee!

How do you think Animal Control would react to finding that they have these animals there and only visit the property once every fortnight? Don't lose any sleep over this.

I can tell you as an ex Bombay person that the chickens have most likely been attacked by a hawk(s) - not sure about the turkeys - but given another friend in the Razorback area witnessed Hawks attacking new born lambs and ripping their eyes out and they stomachs while the mother ewe was desperately trying to run them off and failing, anyone who has animals on a block without giving them regular care and attention should be prosecuted!!!!!

From my experience, SPCA as as useless as you know what when it comes to farm animals but there may be new and more proactive people working for them now who you could try getting hold of and expressing your concerns i.e. you pulling animals out of a swamp. Animals dying. Who is checking for flyblow on the sheep?

I just hope no one comes on here and starts talking about good neighbourly relations in this scenario.

More
12 years 1 month ago #419728 by vjp
Replied by vjp on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
Hi, couldnt be worse than this....the neighbour relations, I am so shocked. We have been checking on their stock every day...when they got chickens and left them there for weeks on end and then the turkeys...I am thinking of rehoming the dogs because she was just so aggressive. The dogs do from time to time wander off down the driveway but always with me in site. She is now so convinced that our two JRs have killed her turkeys I will have no peace and no end to it. She was deranged...!! [:(!] We believe that leaving her animals for 3 weeks plus with no food - dont domestic chickens still need feeding? Also I dont even know how to track these people down[xx(]

More
12 years 1 month ago #419729 by Farmer53
Replied by Farmer53 on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
u could call her bluf and call animal welfare your self about their animals being left etc.

More
12 years 1 month ago #419731 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
Vjp - sit it out. She needs to have at least seen your dog doing it, otherwise any old dog could have done it.

DiDi - I disagree with the hawk theory. Hawks only ever kill one bird at a time and eat it during several sittings - that can take up to a week if the bird killed was big and only one hawk is eating it.

For the birds taken it either was a ferret or a dog, nothing else is capable of killing turkeys (assuming they are adults or almost adult size).

More
12 years 1 month ago #419732 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
She checks her animals on a fortnightly basis? I would be calling AC on her!!!

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 1 month ago #419733 by vjp
Hi Farmer 53, I will anyway. Can you tell me what is the acceptable norm with this situation ie should stock and poultry only be kept if one can check on them, what is deemed the minimum? Is it acceptable to leave poultry like that?

More
12 years 1 month ago #419734 by vjp
Last time it was 3 weeks since we last saw them. They live in Henderson and have bought the adjacent section to ours. They put a chook house on there and some chickens and two turkeys. There are also sheep and calves. During the recent storms I have gone out there and checked on them, found one in the mud in the bog and pulled one out. Ive fed the chickens too as I dont think its ok to leave domestics without food. one by one the chickens are gone - she also accused me of those.....

More
12 years 1 month ago #419737 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
She's not Welsh, is she?

More
12 years 1 month ago #419739 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused

vjp;416882 wrote: Last time it was 3 weeks since we last saw them. They live in Henderson and have bought the adjacent section to ours. They put a chook house on there and some chickens and two turkeys. There are also sheep and calves. During the recent storms I have gone out there and checked on them, found one in the mud in the bog and pulled one out. Ive fed the chickens too as I dont think its ok to leave domestics without food. one by one the chickens are gone - she also accused me of those.....

Ring AC and have a chat, they are not that bad and can tell you what is acceptable from unacceptable, what I do know is 3 weeks is unacceptable.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 1 month ago #419743 by 3scoremiles10
Replied by 3scoremiles10 on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused

vjp;416860 wrote: I was abused and pyhsically pushed around around (she tried to shut the car door on my arm), yelled at and called a liar.

I recommend going to the police. What she did to you is assault.

Sorry you're having to deal with such a vile person :(

More
12 years 1 month ago #419744 by Ohailander
Replied by Ohailander on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused

Ruth;416885 wrote: She's not Welsh, is she?

Why? Are you from the South of England?

More
12 years 1 month ago #419750 by LMCL65
Replied by LMCL65 on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
VJP this doesn't bode well for when they move in, if you see their animals in distress again, please call animal control straight away to come and attend to them, don't do it yourself, this will prompt some questionning by them and reduce the chances of you being accussed of anything by trying to help. I don't know the property size but if the chicken free range then they probably do get enough grubs etc to get by but do they get health checks etc. Step back and hand to animal control. You have a right now to lay an assault complaint, but if you don't want to yet, then I would be cautious about any further communications. If she comes onto your property to harrass you you can head to your local police station and get a trespass notice, you just fill it out hand one copy to her and one back to the police, this stops her coming onto your property.

Laurette, mother to Eamon (16), Sebastian and Cheve (angel cats) Henry and Bellatrix cats, Sadie and Billy Bob(dogs) Rocky, Lola and Hersephone (rainbow goat) (Goats), Sparrow and Esme (cows), 6 chickens , 6 Khaki campbell ducks, tadpoles and goldfish.

More
12 years 1 month ago #419751 by vjp
Not Welsh....maybe eastern european. Ive now arranged for the dogs to go stay with friends for a few months. I just know that from here on in any thing that dies on her property we will be blamed and better to keep them out of blames way. :(

More
12 years 1 month ago #419766 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Dogs Wrongly Accused
excerpt from the Layer Hen Welfare code..

(2) The owner or person in charge of a layer hen must not without
reasonable excuse:
(a) Keep a layer hen alive when it is in such a condition that it is
suffering unreasonable or unnecessary pain or distress
(b) Sell, attempt to sell, or offer for sale, otherwise than for the express
purpose of it being killed, a layer hen, when the layer hen is
suffering unreasonable or unnecessary pain or distress
(c) Desert a layer hen in circumstances in which no provision is made

to meet its physical, health and behavioural needs.

I would say that also means ensuring adequate feed is available, and applies to anyone leaving birds by the road side as well!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds