Alpacas - free to a good home!

More
10 years 3 months ago #31151 by Tui Ridge
I've had an ad up in the classifieds for a while now for our rescue alpaca 'Scoobie'

www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/vforum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=1197

so i'm just bumping this up a bit as we really need to get our numbers sorted.

I also have 2 girls who I'd be happy to give away if they were going to a good home - Gina and Suzie, they are both about 7 years old.

I would say both of these girls are infertile or shouldn't be allowed to get pregnant.

Gina has never (since we've had her) been pregnant and although she has had 2 lots of vet treatment she just won't let the boys near her.

Suzie has previously had a difficult birth and lost her cria. Then when we have mated her and scanned as pregnant she has then lost the pregnancy. She will quite happily go to the stud but isn't falling pregnant - she may be ok with treatment but considering her history we feel its just best to 'retire' her.

So if you'd like some lawn-mowers with character ;) please contact me! :)

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #419183 by topcat83
Aw - Scooby looks lovely! We're in the process of expanding our herd at the moment, but I'm afraid I'm after guys and girls I can breed from. But I think alpacas are a lovely animal to have as pets - and he sounds like he has a lovely character.
I hope you find homes for them.

Oh dear - this is addictive. Now up to 4 alpaca boys, 6 girls (3 pregnant ones), a beautiful cria, a quarter of a stud (I hope we get the dangly bits) and six more girls on the way. The sheep who thinks he's an alpaca goes to meet some new friends tomorrow, we're down to 1 rescue cat, but are still...

More
10 years 3 months ago #419272 by lisaeve
do they really have good personalities? I thought alpacas were generally grumpy. How much grazing do they need?

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

More
10 years 3 months ago #419333 by topcat83

lisaeve;416368 wrote: do they really have good personalities? I thought alpacas were generally grumpy. How much grazing do they need?

I have 7 alpacas (currently) and just like humans their character varies. I have everything from friendly to curious to gentle to timid to grumpy. But grumpy is very pregnant so I expect she's entitled to be grumpy!

They are the same stock unit as a sheep, as although they are bigger they process grass more efficiently.

Oh dear - this is addictive. Now up to 4 alpaca boys, 6 girls (3 pregnant ones), a beautiful cria, a quarter of a stud (I hope we get the dangly bits) and six more girls on the way. The sheep who thinks he's an alpaca goes to meet some new friends tomorrow, we're down to 1 rescue cat, but are still...

More
10 years 3 months ago #419343 by Tui Ridge
Thanks Topcat,

yes - generally alpacas are easy going - females can get a bit funny when they are pregnant or have a very young cria and males can be a handful if there are non-pregnant girls around.

We've found it far easier to keep the stud males on the other side of the farm from the girls where they can't see / hear / smell them - then there is no bad behavior!

Gina can be a bit grumpy with handling and she really likes her food and will spit at everyone and everything if they get near her while she is eating a treat :rolleyes:

Suzie is a big softie and is very gentle - she also loves her food but i've never known her to spit or kick around us or the kids :)

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
10 years 3 months ago #419365 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Alpacas - free to a good home!
What do they taste like? Do you butcher them the same as a sheep? Is there more meat on them than a sheep or are they just like excessively tall sheep with similarly bony legs?

More
10 years 3 months ago #419369 by anaclar
Can we get them to Mayfield, my children would think they were great pets and not breeding works well with me.

More
10 years 3 months ago #419386 by Tui Ridge

igor;416472 wrote: What do they taste like? Do you butcher them the same as a sheep? Is there more meat on them than a sheep or are they just like excessively tall sheep with similarly bony legs?

There previously hasn't been any alpacas processed in NZ (unless its by a co-operative homekill guy) but just in the last few months 2 freezing works have been licensed to process alpaca meat - one in Fielding and one in the South Is. somewhere.

These guys www.mesamill.com/mesa-meats-alpaca-meat/ are selling the meat.

So I don't know the answer to your question - avg. adult weight is 70-80kg and they are butchered like a deer would be (apparently really good neck chops :p ).

Considering how difficult it is now days to sell or find homes for unwanted / excess alpacas - I'm quite pleased about this venture - it gives us more options then just selling pets and fleece. :)

More
10 years 3 months ago #419387 by Tui Ridge

anaclar;416476 wrote: Can we get them to Mayfield, my children would think they were great pets and not breeding works well with me.

I take it thats down south [;)]

I would think that the cost of shipping them down to you would be just as much as buying a couple of young wethers from a local breeder - and you'd have their support for looking after them also :)

More
10 years 3 months ago #419610 by katieb

igor;416472 wrote: What do they taste like? Do you butcher them the same as a sheep? Is there more meat on them than a sheep or are they just like excessively tall sheep with similarly bony legs?

apparently they taste like a cross between lamb & pork according to the lady I bought mine off

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 3 months ago #419611 by katieb

Tui Ridge;416495 wrote: I take it thats down south [;)]

I would think that the cost of shipping them down to you would be just as much as buying a couple of young wethers from a local breeder - and you'd have their support for looking after them also :)

Tullocks transport was $100 + gst from near ashburton to near Te Kuiti 12 months ago... that was the quote per alpaca when I was looking at 2/3... it was the same price each & I got 8.... ops lol

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 3 months ago #419616 by Tui Ridge
Thats similar to the quote I got about 18 months ago from Morley Transport to get some 'pacas from Wellington to Pukekohe. I was thinking it would be higher now and more cause of getting them to the South.

I've seen young wethers getting sold on TM for $300 for 2 (down south again).

More
10 years 3 months ago #419697 by topcat83

katieb;416740 wrote: apparently they taste like a cross between lamb & pork according to the lady I bought mine off

..I was told lamb and veal. And you get an awful lot of neck chops :)

More
10 years 3 months ago #419782 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Alpacas - free to a good home!
I wondered if they might taste like camel. Whatever that tastes like.

More
10 years 3 months ago #419783 by foufee
There is a place in Greytown that makes and sells Gourmet pies, their latest is Alpaca. Must remember to go to the Farmers market and try one :)

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds