Horse with mud fever

More
10 years 8 months ago #470162 by jussiep
Replied by jussiep on topic Horse with mud fever
There is a great new product on the market called Kwillow Powder. You can find more information about it at www.kwillowproducts.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #470242 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Horse with mud fever
Vets in Hamilton made a very good lotion called BTD lotion Think it was named after the vets themselves. Blakely/Taylor/Dewes. Probably all retired now. Should be easy to make up with another vet. I know it had tetramycin in it.
I used to use a home made treatment that was zinc ointment and sulfanilamide. That worked too.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 8 months ago #470365 by carlyjean
Replied by carlyjean on topic Horse with mud fever
Have to agree that different treatments work (or don't work) for different horses. Had a white mare who periodically got it and pasternoint (such a shame this is not made anymore) cleared it up beautifully. Another horse this had no effect at all... And after trying nearly every trick in the book- only started to see results when we used a salve for cows udders called teatguard active- it has manuka honey in it- cleared it up in about 2 weeks.

More
10 years 8 months ago #470398 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Horse with mud fever
Its really important with mud fever to ensure that the area is well lubricated. Treatments that really dry out the skin, make it more painful.
This would sound like a contradiction but in fact thats why pastanoint and the more lubricated salves work better on mud fever than some of the more drying solutions that people use.
I am wondering whether condys crystals might work.
I was buying some because I had a problem with fin rot in the fish pond and the chemist said this is great for athletes foot. Its quite possible then it could work on mud fever?

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds