Horse with mud fever

More
12 years 2 months ago #31039 by Juanita
Horse with mud fever was created by Juanita
My daughter is looking after a 4 year old mare for a friend who has moved to auckland for 12 months.

Locca has arrived with mud fever in 2 feet, with it being worse in the foot with white sock. We have been treating with Vetadine 2x daily, with the worser foot showing slight improvement.

Locca's paddock is very dry,even in rainy weather being on sandy soil - any advice as to treatment would be gratefully appreciated.

Juanita

2 daughters - Amy & Megan, 2 loving and devoted surrogate grandparents, Schist (Lab/Springer Spaniel X), Bella (pomeranian) 2 cats Holly & Ginge, Mocha & Cocoa (Murray Greys), Hercules, looking for English Leicester ram to take care of a harem of 9 English Leicester ewes.....plus 3 ewe lambs for 2014 [:0]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #417921 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Horse with mud fever
Go and buy some VirkonS and use that. Horse suppliers should have it. Guarantee it will work. You mix up 100:1 (veterinary use) i.e. 50gms powder to 5 litres of warm water and bath the areas with this. If the horse will stand in a bucket, brilliant but if not, just a cloth and go back and forth between each leg for 15 minutes and then let her out. You do not have to rinse it off. Works for rain scald as well!

Please do not try and remove the scabs. As long as you are saturating the area and prepared to repeat this at least twice a week for a couple of weeks, you will find it will all clear up and the scabs will grow out with the new hair growth.

The other thing to do is look at the horses diet as she needs more sulphur. This is what I did for my 15.2HH TB chestnut gelding with four white socks and a blaze having tried many many options. His legs were like kauri stumps from swelling when I got (rescued) him until finding this solution.

He spent the last few years of his life being fed on NRM Mare Balancer (the one for the final three months before a foal is due) at 400gms a day (plus hay and nothing else except grass) and he was in brilliant condition. Fantastic product and so so so easy to feed. All the best.

More
12 years 2 months ago #417924 by Jen - Featherston
exactly what Didi said, except I take my scabs off after soaking to prevent proud flesh growing

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
12 years 2 months ago #417926 by xevbellringer
Replied by xevbellringer on topic Horse with mud fever
Or you can use a 10% Janola Solution to wash the area. Alternatively I have had success with that purple Harness chaffing lotion. First you have to kill the bugs - then the healing can start. Iodine just seems to annoy it slightly & it stings a bit on application.

More
12 years 2 months ago #417930 by bevhawkins
Replied by bevhawkins on topic Horse with mud fever
I covered my TB;s white socked legs with vaseline, bandaged overnight, the next day the scabs are loose enough to get off gently, then scrub the area with vetadine, worksed for my boy, I then got him some paddock boots for outside from the UK, very pricy but he did not get mud fever again.

More
12 years 2 months ago #417934 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Horse with mud fever
We had a horse with terrible mud fever.
I later discovered all his brothers and sisters also had it but not to the same degree as this boy
It can be very painful for the animal
I made up a homeopathic from the actual mud fever itself and it was the only thing in the end that cleared it up.
I still have it if you want me to send you some and see if it work on your horse
There are lots of good things around for mud fever.
My vet prescribed a green anti fungal cream that was good
People used to say janola as it kills the bugs but cider vinegar is far more user friendly, it changes the pH of the skin so its harder for the mud fever to take hold.
We never picked off the scabs but bathing in a copper sulphate solution of 1:10 would ensure no proud flesh developed [but it does sting and they dont like it]
I was told to keep the area moist not dry ie with cream. I used alternating aloe vera for healing and emu oil
But, something like this is often an indicator of something not quite right in the system.
As someone mentioned above, it could be a dietary lack
. But it could also be other things, such as allergy to the sun, poor liver function, genetic predisposition etc
Over washing of legs for shows can take out a lot of natural oils.
also, dont clip the fetlock feathers or hairs, they act like a drainpipe taking the water straight down the leg and by passing the heel so water doesnt accumulate there

More
12 years 2 months ago #417944 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Horse with mud fever
It may not be mud fever - given that there is limited mud. It may be a sun reaction. Similar treatment to above: slather the leg / scabby area in something to soften the scabs. I use aqueous cream overnight or for a few hours. Wash with lots of warm water - or even better stand in a creek or take into the sea. You can add janola or napisan or miltons to the water to help kill the bugs. Then coat the area very generously with filtabac or some other zinc based cream or keep the horse inside or banaged if they are outside.
Repeat daily or every two days and it will clear up in about a week.

I absolutely concur with whoever suggested adding sulphur to the diet - makes a huge difference to lots of skin conditions - although it does make your horse smell slightly odd.

More
12 years 2 months ago #418003 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Horse with mud fever
I agree with Anne, I have 2 horses who sail through every winter completely mud fever free but come February they scab up a shocker on their white socks. It is sunburn or whatever variation of it that fits. I used to use pasternoint but they don't make it any more so I am using Sudacrem for human baby nappy rash. It is working, slower than pasteroint but it is working.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 2 months ago #418005 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Horse with mud fever
Ok - clarification here. My boy had photosynthesis mud fever which is a Summer problem rather than a Winter issue. Nothing to do with mud!

I will still stick with my original thread and there is nothing better than Virkon S for treating this. Look it up on the Web. You will be horrified to find that it is used to wash down calf rearing facilities, pig styes etc and you will think, that if you put this on your horse it will be carcinogenic etc. It is not! Further research will show you that there is a Veterinary formula for it's use as explained in my earlier thread. It kills 13 different viruses and one of those is the Summer mud fever.

Once discovered, I had to repeat it every year for one wash max - in fact I can't remember - maybe two years apart! Certainly, from when I put him on NRM Mare Balancer - it was minimal. That is a feed I also swear by! People used to stop and ask me what I was feeding my boys, both older, as they had seen the transformation from pot bellied, swaybacked horses into shiny healthy horses that looked years younger than they were. Rodeo bucking around the paddock also counted! laugh

He was with me for at least eight years (16 to 24) until I sold my property. He was moved to another property with his feed (which I was happy to pay for) and when I went to visit him four? months down the line, more feed in the boot, I found him with really bad mud fever, swollen legs and on asking found out that he had never been fed "his" food or his mud fever treated. "We just have it on the property".

I arranged that day to have him PTS. He was 26 and did not deserve to have this all over again. I know the person who had him had the best intentions in the world when she took him (and a good friend) but things hit the wall in her life and I did not know that so he was being neglected.

I was married to a Vet for 28 years and I tried everything on my boy including mixing anitbiotics with emu oil etc and nothing worked except this product. Jen supported this but I will add that I did not remove any scabs and never had a proud flesh issue either. I just want you to give it a go and then decide whether you want to go through wrapping legs etc. I just find it hard to believe that this will not sort it out for you but am open to any other poster saying they tried this and it did not work.

More
12 years 2 months ago #418051 by Jo-Otago
Replied by Jo-Otago on topic Horse with mud fever
Virkon can work well - but as I've found with all remedies tried to date, not in 100% of cases. Over the years I have concluded that there's no such thing as "a cure" for mudfever. (And it is not just linked with mud.) Remedies that work on one horse often don't on another, and what may work on one horse for one season might not at another time. It is caused by a bacterium with fungal characteristics (Dermatophilus congolensis), so remedies typically include agents that target bacteria and/or fungi.
Horses low in copper tend to be more susceptible (however just because your horse has mudfever does not necessarily mean it is low in copper - always safest checked with blood tests).
I get less incidence of mudfever when horses are getting a full mineral mix and are not under stress. Damp warm conditions tend to make it worse, plus affected skin is often sun-sensitive. Immune-boosting supplements (echinacea etc) will often help the horse fight an infection and I tend to use these in conjuction with topical treatment if/as required.

Regards topical treatments it is a matter of trial and error to find what suits your horse & situation. I have tried many things over the years and have had success at various time/situations (depending on what I am trying to achieve, eg. soften scabs, heal skin etc) with the following topical treatments: milkease, pasternoint (no longer available), inflammol, vetadine wash, virkon wash, yellow dusting sulphur, zinc & caster oil baby cream (e.g. sudocream). One application you will sometimes hear suggested that I personally would avoid using anywhere near broken skin is vinegar & baby oil - vinegar stings like hell on broken skin! I also wade horses frequently in saltwater which seems to help, and trim away hair in the affected area.
If you chose to remove scabs this needs to be done gently after they are softened - if you cause the area to bleed it exacerbates the problem and tends to make it spread.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
12 years 2 months ago #418055 by chicken_itis
Replied by chicken_itis on topic Horse with mud fever
Best thing I ever did was an oat mash (porridge oats not feed oats lol) with bakingsoda and small amount of copper sulphate. slather it on and it sticks on there like glue for some time. Horses seem to like it too must help with the discomfort.
Easy to do and cheap.

Also make sure you horse is eating enough copper! Lack of copper can cause mudfeaver to easily take hold!
please research it before feeding it as it must be fed with dolomite and USUALLY horses will only eat the bucket of feed with it in if they need it- personnaly I have confirmed this with my very piggy mare who is always on a diet- she will tip the bucket out when she has had enough copper.

More
12 years 2 months ago #418156 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Horse with mud fever
emm interesting.. my fella had all four legs scabby and balding.. i thought it was a tick reaction.. just slathered with filterbac and it cleared up straight away..he now has hairy legs again, which is a much better look[;)]

More
12 years 2 months ago #418183 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Horse with mud fever
Please don't use bleach! I tried everything on my boys mudfever, that was related to photosensitivity rather than mud also. the only thing that worked was a topical cream from the UK, they no longer send it here. Virkon didn't work, vetadine didn't work. As it's fungal, anything that promotes damp seems wrong. Softening the scabs with vaseline or some such thing, then treating the soft skin underneath seems logical. There is a good NZ product called mudwax, i think farmlands stock it. Much nicer for the horse, me thinks!

More
12 years 2 months ago #418211 by brodie
Replied by brodie on topic Horse with mud fever
Nothing I have found will work 100% of the time but I have had good results washing the affected ares with triocil shampoo then applying filterbac.If the area is really scabby then after washing I cream,wrap with glad wrap,and then bandage in the usual way(not recommended to do in summer as the heat generated will scald the skin and make it worse)The glad wrap saves your bandages from the filterbac and helps soften the crusty scabs,then about 8 hours later, rewash,dry gently and most of the scabs are soft enough to come away, then cream with filterbac and massage into area so that it sits on the skin.If it is really oozy and yellow I use mastalone(cow mastitis ointment)as it deals with the secondary infection usually present when it gets to that stage.Then I keep the legs as clean,dry and mudfree as possible until healed.Like everything though,it takes time and effort.White healer cream is also good for mild cases.

2 dogs,2 kids,goldfish,20-ish chooks,2 axolytl,2 turtles,Lotsa free-range pigeons, budgies, pekin, cayuga & muscovy ducks + their babies, 5 horses,a cockatoo called Charlie and no money...[:D][:D];)

More
12 years 2 months ago #418673 by Juanita
Replied by Juanita on topic Horse with mud fever
Thank you for all the responses. Following what has been posted, have been using half Milton tablet in 1 litre of warm water, soaking the affected areas for 15-20 minutes then sloughing off scabs as dry with towel. When thoroughly dry, then apply Vet Direct Mud Gel. Working very well with nearly all signs of mud fever gone.

When at vet with dogs last night, he said to continue with bathing and gave us Mastalone to use instead of the Mud Gel. See how things go.

Juanita

2 daughters - Amy & Megan, 2 loving and devoted surrogate grandparents, Schist (Lab/Springer Spaniel X), Bella (pomeranian) 2 cats Holly & Ginge, Mocha & Cocoa (Murray Greys), Hercules, looking for English Leicester ram to take care of a harem of 9 English Leicester ewes.....plus 3 ewe lambs for 2014 [:0]

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds