What a waste

More
12 years 1 month ago #30780 by olkiwi
What a waste was created by olkiwi
I was watching an advertising video of prime miniature Hereford cattle, shot somewhere in the USA on a small farm. The farmer was surround by the most magnificent beasts not much more than a metre high.
Apparently he home kills and sells the meat online. No health inspections there.
What staggered me was that he was boasting that ALL of the beast is sold as ground meat.. mince. Prime steak, rib eye, prime roasts etc all go through his mincer to make the best hamburgers in USA.[:0]
Good Grief!! Are American not capable of cooking and eating a nice steak or roast? What a waste of good meat. And all the while these lovely little beasts were gathered around him so trustingly. Incidently mini Herefords are great for lifestyle blocks. Docile and more per acre than their bigger cuzzies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #414833 by muri
Replied by muri on topic What a waste
While you may think its a waste, each to their own I guess.
I have to disagree on the quiet bit tho. I have had miniature hereford and my experience has not been that of quiet, in fact pretty wild to be honest.
And having horns doesnt help when they are wild.
I find the low line angus are much more placid, are naturally polled, eat even less than a hereford mini and much more suited to a lifestyle block

More
12 years 1 month ago #414834 by Vanaheim
Replied by Vanaheim on topic What a waste
yanks are cultural barbarians. i got ketchup on my shrimp salad and dont even ask for a steak and cheese pie. their beer is like making love in a canoe (****ing close to water) and they have whole restaurants devoted to donuts. wierd.

Bræðr munu berjask ok at bönum verðask,
munu systrungar sifjum spilla;
hart er í heimi, hórdómr mikill,
skeggöld, skalmöld, skildir ro klofnir,
vindöld, vargöld, áðr veröld steypisk;
mun engi maðr öðrum þyrma.

Brothers shall fight | and fell each other,
And sisters' sons | shall...

More
12 years 1 month ago #414836 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic What a waste
He possibly can't get anyone to process or market them because the cuts would be so tiny compared to the plate-sized steaks expected and served throughout that land.

More per acre on the hoof, but do you have any data on how much "retail meat" or carcass weight per acre comparing the large and small varieties?

More
12 years 1 month ago #414837 by Ruth

muri;411454 wrote: ...
I have to disagree on the quiet bit tho. I have had miniature hereford and my experience has not been that of quiet, in fact pretty wild to be honest.
And having horns doesnt help when they are wild.
I find the low line angus are much more placid, are naturally polled, eat even less than a hereford mini and much more suited to a lifestyle block

Breed generalisations are not overly helpful. The herd in which cattle originate has more bearing, whatever the breed and it's always a combination of genetics and handling.

More
12 years 1 month ago #414843 by muri
Replied by muri on topic What a waste
Of course Ruth, I couldnt agree more, thats why i was countering one generalisation with another
Animals have also perfected the art of making us into liars

More
12 years 1 month ago #414844 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic What a waste
i found some comparisons of full sized beefies to lowline angus:

www.4rfarmslowlines.com/facts.php - table at bottom of page.

www.tartanfarms.co.nz/breed.html#UltraSound - nz comaprison of ultra sounds (which i do not actually understand, what are the abbreviations?)

More
12 years 1 month ago #414861 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic What a waste
Hi tonic, I can help you with the abbreviations-we are having our heifers scanned on Tuesday 6th so know all about this! ;-)

The first two figures under P8(mm) and Rib(mm) is the fat depth in mm's over the those two positions along the back roughly half way along and 3/4 of the way along. The British breeds tend to be more fat than the continental breeds and the fat depth is often related to size and sex!
Steers and heifers being more likely to have more fat than bulls.

Last year one of our bulls scanned 2mm and 2mm for those two measurements-he was pretty lean having been out with the cows for some months (3 different herds!) His eye muscle however was far bigger than that of another bull which was the same age and nearly 200kgs heavier. We are keeping a close eye on that family as after 2 years of scanning our 20 month olds, one cow's progeny has performed at the top in terms of low fat cover and bigger eye muscle. Her (Tussocks) 20 month heifer will get scanned on 6th March, so we shall see how she is going-unfortunately after having had 14 calves she doesn't seem to be holding in calf this year. Luckily she now has 3 daughters and a grandaughter in the herd, plus this 20mth old which will be scanned next week. This year she has a bull calf at foot which we are hoping will be just as good.

The EMA stands for Eye muscle area-no not the muscle of the eye-but the fillet steak-or the area of muscle beneath that layer of fat which was measured for thickness in the earleir measurement. The measurement is done in square centimetres of muscle area.

Usually the bigger the animal the greater the eye muscle area, so the next figure is based on the Eye muscle area as a % of the kgs of animal and this table-shows the Lowline as having the top percentage of Eye muscle to bodyweight. So even though the area measured was lowest, the %age to total weight was the highest in this example.
Note that the Eye muscle of the Lowline is about half the size of the other breeds, but it is the size in proportion to the rest of the body which counts in this case.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 1 month ago #414872 by tonic
gee thanks sue, that helps heaps! i really like this sort of information, i would love to have more land and a breeding herd to be able to record this sort of thing through families like you will be able to do..... i think knowing this sort of thing must make breeding a line of cattle so much fun.

More
12 years 1 month ago #414877 by Ruth
AAAAAAAARrrahghhhhhhh just typed a whole reply which got lost!!!!!!!!!

Sue;411485 wrote: ...Usually the bigger the animal the greater the eye muscle area, so the next figure is based on the Eye muscle area as a % of the kgs of animal and this table-shows the Lowline as having the top percentage of Eye muscle to bodyweight. So even though the area measured was lowest, the %age to total weight was the highest in this example.
Note that the Eye muscle of the Lowline is about half the size of the other breeds, but it is the size in proportion to the rest of the body which counts in this case.

Lies, damned lies and statistics. I'd like to see that whole table using averaged data from a number of individuals in each breed. Is the less-than-half-sized Lowline animal representative of his breed? Is the 808kg Angus bull (a yearling that size?!!!) representative of his?

Breed what you like, don't get too precious about which breed that is.

More
12 years 1 month ago #414878 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic What a waste
Ruth, don't get too carried away-this is just one competition with animals entered in the yearling bull class at the 2000 Auckland Easter Show!

As the show is in April-the older ones would be nearly 22 months old by that date, as Show age is calculated as from 1st June each year.

As in all competitions the entries are not necessarily representative of the breed as a whole!

The table just represents the range of fat cover and eye muscle size in the animals entered in the Yearling bull class.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 1 month ago #414880 by canajanz
Replied by canajanz on topic What a waste

Ruth;411457 wrote: He possibly can't get anyone to process or market them because the cuts would be so tiny compared to the plate-sized steaks expected and served throughout that land.

Smaller cuts of meat are much in demand by teh higher end restaurants. That was one of the original selling points.
Perhaps he is in an area where burgers are on more people's menu than top end steak. He may make more this way than by shipping to another area.

canajanz

More
12 years 1 month ago #414881 by Ruth

tonic;411466 wrote: i found some comparisons of full sized beefies to lowline angus:...

Sue;411507 wrote: ...this is just one competition with animals entered in the yearling bull class at the 2000 Auckland Easter Show!...
As in all competitions the entries are not necessarily representative of the breed as a whole!

The table just represents the range of fat cover and eye muscle size in the animals entered in the Yearling bull class.

The references were presented as representative and the link itself is presented as representative of breed comparisons. Carried away I am not.

More
12 years 1 month ago #414893 by tonic
ruth, i was not trying to present the link as representative, i simply saw you asking if there was data on small vs full sized animals and thought i would take a look as it sounded interesting. so i shared the links i found.... no attempt to fool anyone with statistics and lies ... :-)

your responses feel a little sharper than usual (which could just be me...) i hope all is ok.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds