NAIT Questions and Answers forum

More
9 years 11 months ago #488043 by Ruth
As a levy payer, I urge you to move to that future possibility as quickly as possible. It's pretty wasteful to repeatedly test "safe" herds.

This is personal right now, my herd being on an annual testing regime, thanks to some dairy movements and infection just-within 10km. (Actually the movements were probably within about 2km, but the centre of the 10km has been judged to be the herd's current location, not where the infected cattle first lived, right next to the biggest possum habitat in the region!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #488044 by NAIT Ltd

Ruth;492486 wrote: As a levy payer, I urge you to move to that future possibility as quickly as possible. It's pretty wasteful to repeatedly test "safe" herds.

This is personal right now, my herd being on an annual testing regime, thanks to some dairy movements and infection just-within 10km. (Actually the movements were probably within about 2km, but the centre of the 10km has been judged to be the herd's current location, not where the infected cattle first lived, right next to the biggest possum habitat in the region!)

Thanks Ruth. As OSPRI New Zealand, we are certainly looking to create as many efficiencies as possible and deliver these benefits to the industry as soon as possible.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.nait.co.nz | www.tbfree.co.nz | www.ospri.co.nz

The NAIT and TBfree New Zealand programmes are powered by OSPRI New Zealand

More
9 years 11 months ago #488049 by max2

NAIT Ltd;492485 wrote: Any farm could be visited by MPI compliance officers at any time. If you are not home when an officer calls, they will leave a form asking that you contact them.

To expand on that, will it be any farm that can be seen to have livestock, or just a door to door approach?

Is the term farm loosely applied or can it mean any rurally located property?

(ps Im not trying to be smart, but the last thing I need is for one of our lease LSB property owners to start stressing about visits from authority :rolleyes:.)

More
9 years 11 months ago #488061 by max2
And I have another question....

the NAIT info stuff I have received in the mail seems to have always been geared towards stock owners and their obligations.

Will a mass mail out be undertaken to property owners (regardless of stock ownership) informing them an MPI inspector might knock on their door shortly and advise why they might be paying a visit?

What will happen if one of my neighbours has taken grazing ownership over an adjoining paper road?

(I kid you not... I'm about to seek payment of re-fencing that part of the road and I want someone to pay, esp. if they are receiving grazing $$'s for leasing it out. )

More
9 years 11 months ago #488095 by NAIT Ltd

max2;492506 wrote: And I have another question....

the NAIT info stuff I have received in the mail seems to have always been geared towards stock owners and their obligations.

Will a mass mail out be undertaken to property owners (regardless of stock ownership) informing them an MPI inspector might knock on their door shortly and advise why they might be paying a visit?

What will happen if one of my neighbours has taken grazing ownership over an adjoining paper road?

(I kid you not... I'm about to seek payment of re-fencing that part of the road and I want someone to pay, esp. if they are receiving grazing $$'s for leasing it out. )

Farms of all sizes are being visited, including lifestyle blocks. Farms visited are being selected on a random basis, so yes, that could also include properties that can be seen from the road to have cattle.

The purpose of the inspections is to check the level of farmers', and other Person's in Charge of Animals (PICA's), understanding of their NAIT scheme obligations.

We are letting people know about the visits via the NAIT website and through other primary industry groups. Because the visits are random it's not possible to say exactly when visits will occur in any particular area.

Where the inspections find that the obligations are not being met, MPI compliance officers will be reminding farmers of what they need to do to comply with their obligations.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
9 years 9 months ago #490869 by junbelen
Good afternoon!

I am from the Philippines and recently received a number of Fresian-Holstein cows from New Zealand as part of a government project

I have the details of the ear tag numbers and would like to trace where the cows came from and the milking history of their dams

I tried the NAIT website but cant register as a foreign farmer

Any suggestions please? The tags are SWHM, BXXR, CWGY, CKJM

Thanks

More
9 years 9 months ago #490884 by Denneaux
You will need to contact LIC for these details because those are dairy tags and NAIT doesn't record production information. LIC might not give out actual production data either (privacy) but you can get breeding values for these things from them and pedigrees.

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
9 years 9 months ago #490885 by katieb
Yes contact lic for their details. They should be able to send you their profiles. You may have to take photos of the tags. Each tag will have the herd participant code(3/4 letters) then the year they were born and their calf number. Each animal if recorded will have their own lifetime id in this format

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 9 months ago #490887 by junbelen

Denneaux;495619 wrote: You will need to contact LIC for these details because those are dairy tags and NAIT doesn't record production information. LIC might not give out actual production data either (privacy) but you can get breeding values for these things from them and pedigrees.

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you so much for the information
Pardon my ignorance but what does LIC mean?

Thanks for your reply

More
9 years 9 months ago #490891 by tonic
Yep, LIC are the people to contact... www.lic.co.nz is the address

More
9 years 9 months ago #490892 by junbelen

katieb;495621 wrote: Yes contact lic for their details. They should be able to send you their profiles. You may have to take photos of the tags. Each tag will have the herd participant code(3/4 letters) then the year they were born and their calf number. Each animal if recorded will have their own lifetime id in this format

Thanks katieb... will take the photos today

More
9 years 9 months ago #490909 by katieb
LIC is livestock improvement corporation

the part of their company called MINDA is the part you will need to contact

Basically if the animal is still in someone elses herd(ie they havnt told MINDA they have sold them) then you will need photos of the tags, if they have sold them out of their herd but to nowhere then you should find it easier to get the records

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 8 months ago #494303 by max2
NAIT I am having a go at the reports section of the site. My reason for doing so is to try and find a report that tells me what stock was on our property as at end of financial year for our Accountants report. I am a bit confused about some of the rows and what the information means, but is there a report I can generate easily to assist me with this audit? Thankyou

More
9 years 8 months ago #494336 by NAIT Ltd

max2;499403 wrote: NAIT I am having a go at the reports section of the site. My reason for doing so is to try and find a report that tells me what stock was on our property as at end of financial year for our Accountants report. I am a bit confused about some of the rows and what the information means, but is there a report I can generate easily to assist me with this audit? Thankyou

Hi Max2,

After having a look and a play around it appears we don't currently have a report which can do what you need. The only close one would be "animals moved onto your NAIT number" but this doesn't include animals born and registered on your property. This sounds like something lots of people would find useful though, so we'll make sure it's added to the list of future enhancements for our team to investigate. Sorry we can't be more helpful right now, but we love hearing your suggestions about how we can improve the NAIT system.

Thanks,

The team at NAIT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
9 years 8 months ago #494571 by Somerslea
I have a problem with an owner who has not created a movement for his animals when they left our farm to calve. I created a movement (because I was getting births registered to my NAIT Number) which the owner rejected but he has not created a movement in place of the rejection, so technically we still have his cows. He uses MINDA therefore everytime he records a birth it is recorded as being born at our farm because technically his cows havent left. Nothing is recorded under his NAIT Number, every notification I get says LIC and all notifications are regarding my NAIT Number not the owners, I physically have to look up the tag number to work out who the heck the animals belong to (we are grazing more than one persons animals). We are now getting movements from our Nait Number with regard to the calves that were born at his NAIT number (not ours) to random NAIT Numbers that we have no knowledge of. I believe that no-one should be able to create a movement or register a birth to my Nait Number without my knowledge. Somewhere surely the Owners NAIT number should have to be recorded! Why should I have to try and sort this, surely it is the Owners responsibility not mine? I am quite happy to accept movements to and from but there should be checks and balances and NOONE should be able to record a birth to my NAIT number except for me! WE DO NOT USE MINDA AND WE ARE NOT LIC CLIENTS. What happens if one of these animals that have never set foot on our place gets TB and they are registered to our NAIT Number? Why should I have to delete these animals, they arent mine to start with?

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds