NAIT Questions and Answers forum

More
10 years 5 days ago #486706 by max2
That's a good move NAIT, we also graze between properties that we own and that we lease, no other stock owned by others is present, and I wondered how this would fit into the system too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 days ago #486713 by Cigar

max2;491005 wrote: That's a good move NAIT, we also graze between properties that we own and that we lease, no other stock owned by others is present, and I wondered how this would fit into the system too.

It wouldn't matter if there was stock owned (and/or looked after) by others. I added the neighbours property (as above) last year - our animals that we looked after were under our NAIT number, his animals were under his NAIT number.

More
9 years 11 months ago #487892 by max2
Me again..... if untagged stock continue to be relocated by foot to various properties, how is traceability ever going to work properly? How will NAIT know of stock movements when everything is so private these days?

More
9 years 11 months ago #487899 by NAIT Ltd

max2;492319 wrote: Me again..... if untagged stock continue to be relocated by foot to various properties, how is traceability ever going to work properly? How will NAIT know of stock movements when everything is so private these days?

Hi Max2,

Traceability works properly when accurate information is provided to NAIT, our national database for livestock movements. Everybody has a part to play in keeping their NAIT records up to date and safeguarding New Zealand's livestock industry.

This includes private sales, grazing, bull leasing and farm to farm movements.

Nationwide farm inspection visits by Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) compliance officers are underway and being conducted on a random basis. Any farm could be visited, at any time.

MPI officers are checking levels of understanding of the NAIT scheme, reminding farmers of their obligations and in some cases directing people to comply. Officers are equipped with information about the NAIT scheme, to help educate those who are unaware of the requirements.

MPI is empowered to conduct these inspections under the National Animal Identification and Tracing Act 2012. Compliance officers are not NAIT staff but are warranted under the NAIT Act.

The NAIT scheme is entering its final year of transition for cattle. These farm inspection visits are part of a wider strategy to help embed the scheme in the primary sector.

In addition to the farm inspections by MPI compliance officers, NAIT staff are checking truck movement records and conducting transit stop spot checks, on a regional and random basis.

The NAIT contact centre and field operations staff are here to help with any questions about how to comply with the scheme or use the NAIT system online.

Thanks,

The team at NAIT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.nait.co.nz | www.tbfree.co.nz | www.ospri.co.nz

The NAIT and TBfree New Zealand programmes are powered by OSPRI New Zealand

More
9 years 11 months ago #487901 by Ruth
Presumably the MPI Compliance officers are paying attention to farm-to-farm biosecurity and carrying their own boot-washing materials? I've been unpleasantly surprised by the lack of attention to that detail on the part of TB testing staff.

More
9 years 11 months ago #487910 by max2
I'm sorry but I don't understand how a couple (if they are lucky) field staff are going to cover 200 - 300 acres per farm, plus any adjoining NAIT registered properties to locate every stock head, regardless if they are NAIT tagged or not.

I'm seeing stock being moved about by a farmer whose animal welfare conduct leaves a lot to be desired, move stock up and down various properties (and wandering into ours).

Having checked my own addresses in the system (some of which don't have a rapid number so hard to locate in the system) I know he isn't registering his NAIT number against the properties he is grazing.

One owner is overseas and will be unaware of the NAIT requirements with family intercepting mail.

Seems to be a fair bit of ground needs to be covered before its a secure and reliable process. Plus getting past the distrust issue some older cash farmers have will also be a biggie.

More
9 years 11 months ago #488009 by NAIT Ltd

max2;492339 wrote: I'm sorry but I don't understand how a couple (if they are lucky) field staff are going to cover 200 - 300 acres per farm, plus any adjoining NAIT registered properties to locate every stock head, regardless if they are NAIT tagged or not.

I'm seeing stock being moved about by a farmer whose animal welfare conduct leaves a lot to be desired, move stock up and down various properties (and wandering into ours).

Having checked my own addresses in the system (some of which don't have a rapid number so hard to locate in the system) I know he isn't registering his NAIT number against the properties he is grazing.

One owner is overseas and will be unaware of the NAIT requirements with family intercepting mail.

Seems to be a fair bit of ground needs to be covered before its a secure and reliable process. Plus getting past the distrust issue some older cash farmers have will also be a biggie.

Hi Max2,

As previously mentioned, if you have an issue with a neighbouring farm we recommend you call our contact centre so they can follow up with them directly, to make sure they know what their obligations are.

Thanks,

The team at NAIT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
9 years 11 months ago #488015 by max2

NAIT Ltd;492447 wrote: Hi Max2,

As previously mentioned, if you have an issue with a neighbouring farm we recommend you call our contact centre so they can follow up with them directly, to make sure they know what their obligations are.

Thanks,

The team at NAIT

Yep, been there, done that. I was asked how do I know they are not doing it under a different NAIT number? It only became of interest once I mentioned the stock were not tagged.

Since then there have been another two road movements and I have untagged stock back in my place up the back. An unregistered NAIT property.

If they were contacted, doesn't seem like they took much interest in what your people might have said.

(ps for the record I'm not in the habit of reporting neighbours stock movements to anyone, but I dislike seeing suffering animals and I dislike neighbours who will not restrain/are too lazy to keep their stock from straying into other people's property.)

More
9 years 11 months ago #488018 by Ruth
The team at NAIT, it seems to me you rarely ever comment upon or answer my questions. Why not?

More
9 years 11 months ago #488027 by NAIT Ltd

Ruth;492458 wrote: The team at NAIT, it seems to me you rarely ever comment upon or answer my questions. Why not?

Hi Ruth,

Sorry if we missed your question. Happy to answer questions about the NAIT or TBfree New Zealand programmes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
9 years 11 months ago #488028 by Ruth
Biosecurity? Do your compliance officers attend to the risk of carrying disease from property to property?

NAIT and TBFree: when will TBFree adjust its testing regime to recognise the reduced risk of infection in herds where animals only ever move out from a property? Dairy farms appear to be the riskiest ventures and the source of infection in my otherwise TB-free region. NAIT recording now provides the information to judge whether properties are high or low risk depending upon their animal movement histories. Is there provision for NAIT records to be used in such a way yet?

More
9 years 11 months ago #488034 by NAIT Ltd

Ruth;492470 wrote: Biosecurity? Do your compliance officers attend to the risk of carrying disease from property to property?

NAIT and TBFree: when will TBFree adjust its testing regime to recognise the reduced risk of infection in herds where animals only ever move out from a property? Dairy farms appear to be the riskiest ventures and the source of infection in my otherwise TB-free region. NAIT recording now provides the information to judge whether properties are high or low risk depending upon their animal movement histories. Is there provision for NAIT records to be used in such a way yet?

Ministry for Primary Industries compliance officers will be checking levels of understanding of the NAIT scheme and reminding farmers of their obligations - including the need to record farm to farm movements. In some cases they will be directing people to comply.

TBfree New Zealand compliance managers attend sale yards and make spot checks to ensure the animals being sold have correctly filled out Animal Status Declaration (ASD) forms, which show a herds TB testing history and its herd status. The herd TB status represents how many years the herd has been clear of TB or how many years the herd has been infected with the disease. Compliance managers also undertake truck audits to check that stock being transported have the correct paperwork, such as a correctly filled out ASD form.

TBfree New Zealand makes reductions to testing frequencies and movement control areas annually on 1 March. These reductions are based on the surveillance of wild animal populations to check for the presence or absence of TB and the incidence of herd TB infections in an area. From 1 March 2014, reductions in both Movement Control Areas and herd bovine TB tests benefited more than 5300 herdowners across some 1.7 million hectares.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
9 years 11 months ago #488039 by Ruth
Compliance officers will not, I then take it, be visiting my farm. Good.

You have not answered my second question.

More
9 years 11 months ago #488041 by Ruth
... or did you and it was just an incredibly round-about NO?

More
9 years 11 months ago #488042 by NAIT Ltd

Ruth;492482 wrote: Compliance officers will not, I then take it, be visiting my farm. Good.

You have not answered my second question.

Any farm could be visited by MPI compliance officers at any time. If you are not home when an officer calls, they will leave a form asking that you contact them.

At this stage NAIT records are not being used to determine TB testing requirements, but this is a future possibility. NAIT data has been used to help rapidly trace movements of animals from the original TB infected herds, ensuring properties were put on a strict testing regime and any TB-infected cattle were sent to slaughter.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds