NAIT Questions and Answers forum

More
10 years 8 months ago #470096 by NAIT Ltd

maurie7;472521 wrote: What bloody bunch of plonkers forced this Nait tag crap on us? Without any thought for the thousands of Life style farmers who only run a small amount of animals, and who do not have the luxury of having a flash cattle crush headlock device and who couldn't justify the cost anyway, being made to tag already tagged cattle in a place they have designated which already sports a large yellow tag. This is an ill thought out piece of unneccessary legislation suited to big cattle breeders with appropriate facilities in place. Yesterday I attempted to tag my 12 cattle which are off to the sales this Friday. I have a basic yard/race system, and I was totally unable to tag more than three. It was a complete disaster and I came close to serious injury when one of the cows tried to jump the race walls which are way over my 5ft 2in height, throwing me backwards onto the ground narrowly missing a post which I had tried to use to make them put their heads up. End result: 3 tagged cows, one with two rips in it's ear where it pulled two tags out, making them unuseable, 3 now useless expensive tags which were unsuccessfully applied, 9 still untagged and one traumatised lady owner, who has had to order more of these bloody things. My tagger is one of the red ones which you can remove the end piece from, but I have to say that these tags are fatter than the yellow ones and do not release from the tagger easily.

When you dreamed up this tag idea you should have considered allowing small block holders the ability to apply for dispensation for mature tagged animals leaving the property, as any new ones, if purchased off the farm would have eventually arrived tagged as calves, a much easier prospect to handle. It is entirely impossible to comply with your requirements on older animals. I have tagged dozens of calves bred on my property over the years and have had no problem, but this experience was hazardous and unpleasant, to say the least, and one which I must stress, I WILL NOT EVER be repeating again.

Hi Maurie7,

We are sorry to hear about your experience trying to tag your older stock before sending them to the sale yards. Safety for farmers is a top priority for NAIT and we do not encourage you to attempt to tag these animals without the appropriate facilities. Here are some options which may help you:

- Cattle which you consider too dangerous to tag do not need a NAIT tag if they are going directly to a meat processor and already have an AHB bar-coded primary tag. A levy of $13 per head excluding GST applies to these animals.
- You could contact the sale yard the animals are going to and arrange for them to tag the animals when they arrive. The availability of this service and the cost is determined by individual sale yards.

For information about why we have the NAIT scheme and why it is important for all farmers to be included, please visit our website . If you would like to talk to someone, please call our contact centre on 0800 624 843.

The team at NAIT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.nait.co.nz | www.tbfree.co.nz | www.ospri.co.nz

The NAIT and TBfree New Zealand programmes are powered by OSPRI New Zealand

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #470097 by Ruth
I have 24, plus a couple who've already lost their NAITs. At some stage soon the $13 works fee goes up to $18, I think, then higher later. Our current headbail is now almost ready for use again, but before the end of the exemption period, we'll have the new one ready to do the remaining cows. The big bulls will still have to go without: they would potentially do too much damage to the race, just by bouncing around in protest about a tagger near their heads!

More
10 years 8 months ago #470099 by NAIT Ltd

Ruth;472642 wrote: At some stage soon the $13 works fee goes up to $18, I think, then higher later.

Hi Ruth,

There are no current plans to increase the impractical to tag levy in the near future.

Thanks,

The team at NAIT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
10 years 8 months ago #470101 by Ruth

NAIT Ltd;472644 wrote: Hi Ruth,

There are no current plans to increase the impractical to tag levy in the near future.

Thanks,

The team at NAIT

That was in the original documents!

In Section 10 of the National Animal Identification and Tracing (Levies) Regulations 2012
10 Maximum rates
  • (3) The maximum rate for the impracticable to tag levy for a cattle animal is,—
    • (a) for 1 July 2012 to 30 June 2013, $13 per animal (exclusive of GST):
    • (b) for 1 July 2013 to 30 June 2014, $16.75 per animal (exclusive of GST):
    • (c) for 1 July 2014 to 30 June 2015, $21.50 per animal (exclusive of GST).
Certainly those are maximum rates, but they were presented to us at the NAIT roadshow meetings as the progression the fees would take.

More
10 years 8 months ago #470102 by Muz1
I don't see the $13 levy as a bad deal to save broken arms, wrist or whatever if yards are not adequate. The tag cost needs to be considered as part of this $13 leaving the "danger cost" at around $6. Saleyard cost is up to the saleyard operator.
This situation should correct itself over the 3 year intro period as all newly purchased animals will be tagged and calves will be tagged on the property leaving only lost tags to be replaced.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
10 years 8 months ago #470105 by Ruth
It corrects itself for those who buy, finish and sell. Those of us for whom cows (and some bulls) can be around for many years, will have an issue to deal with come June 2015! But we know that and many of us adopted the new tags early in the piece, so we will have less animals to tag than we might have done.

More
10 years 7 months ago #472298 by max2
Hi NAIT, perhaps I have missed it (forgive if so) but isn't it timely as October is traditionally calf club day, you prepare a blurb for calf rearers and farmers who may be likely to lend out calves as to the rules and regs of animals attending calf club day?

will school judges be required to ensure NAIT tags are in place?

More
10 years 7 months ago #472310 by NAIT Ltd

swaggie;475050 wrote: Hi NAIT, perhaps I have missed it (forgive if so) but isn't it timely as October is traditionally calf club day, you prepare a blurb for calf rearers and farmers who may be likely to lend out calves as to the rules and regs of animals attending calf club day?

will school judges be required to ensure NAIT tags are in place?

Hi Swaggie,

Yes it is Calf Club season, and we have put a notice in the Education Gazette which goes to all schools, on the requirements for NAIT so they can inform parents.

Here's what you need to know:

Pet day participants

All animals that attend a school pet day must be:

- tagged with a NAIT approved RFID ear tag, and
- registered with NAIT.

There is no requirement for pet day participants to record animal movements to and from school pet days.

Schools

Schools have no obligations under the NAIT Act. There are exemptions under the NAIT regulations for school pet days due to the small number of animals, short distances travelled and young age of animals involved.

Events (A&P Shows / Rodeos)

The events season is also starting. Animals travelling to events must be NAIT tagged and registered (the same as animals going to school pet days), and the movement of that animal must be recorded in the NAIT system. If the animal is returning to your property after the event, you must also record this movement back. This can be done up to 4 days in advance, so you could do it at the same time as the sending movement.

If you sell animals at an event, then a movement must be recorded from your NAIT location to the event. Then a second movement needs to be recorded from the event to the person you sold the animals to.

We'll be writing about events in our next edition of the NAIT e-news.

Read more about events on the NAIT website

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
10 years 7 months ago #472331 by max2
Many thanks for that. Its school holidays at present so there isn't any opportunity for schools to get the info out to participants and their parents.

when does the next edition of E-news come out? A couple of franklin schools have already had their calf club day....

More
10 years 7 months ago #472370 by NAIT Ltd

swaggie;475086 wrote: Many thanks for that. Its school holidays at present so there isn't any opportunity for schools to get the info out to participants and their parents.

when does the next edition of E-news come out? A couple of franklin schools have already had their calf club day....

The e-news comes out once a month, and will be out either next week or the week after.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
10 years 7 months ago #472374 by max2

NAIT Ltd;475130 wrote: The e-news comes out once a month, and will be out either next week or the week after.

Ok, Good, because as a farmer who is lending out calves for calf club day on the 19th, it pays to be well informed (and I haven't received anything from the parents either) so there is no disappointment on the day.

More
10 years 7 months ago #472382 by Cigar
The info is on the NAIT website, but I did have to look for it a month or so ago - I see they now have a link on the homepage.

More
10 years 7 months ago #472383 by igor
All animals that attend a school pet day must be:
- registered with NAIT.

This is complete bollocks. At present NAIT regulations only apply to cattle and deer do they not?

More
10 years 7 months ago #472386 by NAIT Ltd

igor;475146 wrote: All animals that attend a school pet day must be:
- registered with NAIT.

This is complete bollocks. At present NAIT regulations only apply to cattle and deer do they not?

Sorry for any confusion here - yes this only applies to NAIT animals, which are cattle and deer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
10 years 7 months ago #472404 by max2

Cigar;475145 wrote: The info is on the NAIT website, but I did have to look for it a month or so ago - I see they now have a link on the homepage.

totally agree Cigar and actually I already knew [:I] but just thought it should have been covered earlier by NAIT considering this is the first year of calf club under the new system and people are still struggling to come to terms with it or even know about it. :)

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds