NAIT Questions and Answers forum

More
10 years 9 months ago #466988 by Ruth
So NAIT Ltd gets traceability, but farmers who would gain value from following their animals do not.

Swaggie, ring the stock agent's company and ask for the details. They can tell you where any sold stock have gone on to.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #469400 by Puddleduck
Hi Guys,

I have 2 calves that have been NAIT tagged in the wrong ear before I got them, do I need to retag them?

Arg!

PD

More
10 years 8 months ago #469402 by max2
happens at the yards quite regularly. I wouldn't think you need to worry.

More
10 years 8 months ago #469403 by Ruth
No. After all that "the RIGHT ear is the RIGHT ear" advertising, NAIT went soft and seem to accept lefts as well.

However, it's preferable to tag the right ear because all of the animal handling facilities will be set up to read on that side, which was presumably the point of the early requirement. But you don't need to retag an animal with a NAIT tag, for as long as it retains it.

More
10 years 8 months ago #469427 by katieb

Puddleduck;471895 wrote: Hi Guys,

I have 2 calves that have been NAIT tagged in the wrong ear before I got them, do I need to retag them?

Arg!

PD

no you dont need to worry about it

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 8 months ago #469432 by NAIT Ltd

Puddleduck;471895 wrote: Hi Guys,

Arg!

PD

Hi,

Thanks for your question. The others are quite correct; you do not need to re-tag the calves if they have been tagged in the left ear. Either ear is acceptable, however we do recommend the right ear, as meat processing facilities, sale yards and many farmers use fixed panel readers with scanning capability on the right hand side of the animal.

On a side note, NAIT tags cannot be removed from an animal unless you have permission from NAIT to do so. Animals should also only ever have one NAIT RFID ear tag (i.e. if they arrive to you tagged, you do not need to re-tag them with your own NAIT tags).

Thanks,

The team at NAIT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.nait.co.nz | www.tbfree.co.nz | www.ospri.co.nz

The NAIT and TBfree New Zealand programmes are powered by OSPRI New Zealand

More
10 years 8 months ago #469433 by Ruth

NAIT Ltd;471929 wrote: ... NAIT tags cannot be removed from an animal unless you have permission from NAIT to do so. ...

NAIT, your language is off again. The tags can indeed be removed (with a pair of side-cutters or sturdy scissors, just like any plastic tag) or can fall out because they break (far too frequently).

Your sentence needs the words "MUST NOT". It is not permitted that they be removed. It is against the law. It is something we MUST NOT DO!

More
10 years 8 months ago #469456 by Puddleduck
Cool thanks NAIT and others :)

Thought it probably wasn't the end of the world but if it would affect my ability to sell them at weaning I'd want to do something about it!

More
10 years 8 months ago #469469 by Sue
...and as for those people (who shall be nameless!) who put them in back to front, because the applicators actually almost persuade you do it that way round-aaargh!

We have one wrong way round out of 24 calves born this season tagged so far.

i.e in the RIGHT ear, but with the button bit on the outside, not the inside of the ear.

My pet hate about the applicators which require you to put the male pin in from the back of the ear, which is much harder than putting the pointy bit in the inside of the ear first!!!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 8 months ago #469479 by Puddleduck
I hate those applicators, can think of so many ways they could be better to use!

More
10 years 8 months ago #469984 by maurie7
What bloody bunch of plonkers forced this Nait tag crap on us? Without any thought for the thousands of Life style farmers who only run a small amount of animals, and who do not have the luxury of having a flash cattle crush headlock device and who couldn't justify the cost anyway, being made to tag already tagged cattle in a place they have designated which already sports a large yellow tag. This is an ill thought out piece of unneccessary legislation suited to big cattle breeders with appropriate facilities in place. Yesterday I attempted to tag my 12 cattle which are off to the sales this Friday. I have a basic yard/race system, and I was totally unable to tag more than three. It was a complete disaster and I came close to serious injury when one of the cows tried to jump the race walls which are way over my 5ft 2in height, throwing me backwards onto the ground narrowly missing a post which I had tried to use to make them put their heads up. End result: 3 tagged cows, one with two rips in it's ear where it pulled two tags out, making them unuseable, 3 now useless expensive tags which were unsuccessfully applied, 9 still untagged and one traumatised lady owner, who has had to order more of these bloody things. My tagger is one of the red ones which you can remove the end piece from, but I have to say that these tags are fatter than the yellow ones and do not release from the tagger easily.

When you dreamed up this tag idea you should have considered allowing small block holders the ability to apply for dispensation for mature tagged animals leaving the property, as any new ones, if purchased off the farm would have eventually arrived tagged as calves, a much easier prospect to handle. It is entirely impossible to comply with your requirements on older animals. I have tagged dozens of calves bred on my property over the years and have had no problem, but this experience was hazardous and unpleasant, to say the least, and one which I must stress, I WILL NOT EVER be repeating again.

More
10 years 8 months ago #470047 by katieb

maurie7;472521 wrote: What bloody bunch of plonkers forced this Nait tag crap on us? Without any thought for the thousands of Life style farmers who only run a small amount of animals, and who do not have the luxury of having a flash cattle crush headlock device and who couldn't justify the cost anyway, being made to tag already tagged cattle in a place they have designated which already sports a large yellow tag. This is an ill thought out piece of unneccessary legislation suited to big cattle breeders with appropriate facilities in place. Yesterday I attempted to tag my 12 cattle which are off to the sales this Friday. I have a basic yard/race system, and I was totally unable to tag more than three. It was a complete disaster and I came close to serious injury when one of the cows tried to jump the race walls which are way over my 5ft 2in height, throwing me backwards onto the ground narrowly missing a post which I had tried to use to make them put their heads up. End result: 3 tagged cows, one with two rips in it's ear where it pulled two tags out, making them unuseable, 3 now useless expensive tags which were unsuccessfully applied, 9 still untagged and one traumatised lady owner, who has had to order more of these bloody things. My tagger is one of the red ones which you can remove the end piece from, but I have to say that these tags are fatter than the yellow ones and do not release from the tagger easily.

When you dreamed up this tag idea you should have considered allowing small block holders the ability to apply for dispensation for mature tagged animals leaving the property, as any new ones, if purchased off the farm would have eventually arrived tagged as calves, a much easier prospect to handle. It is entirely impossible to comply with your requirements on older animals. I have tagged dozens of calves bred on my property over the years and have had no problem, but this experience was hazardous and unpleasant, to say the least, and one which I must stress, I WILL NOT EVER be repeating again.

Calmly pack them in tightly into the race and you may find it easier, stand on something safely outside the race. I've tagged quite a few mature dairy cows who know what a tagger means as they have lifetime ids, brass id tags, herd tags, a coloured herd button and sometimes another tag. I havnt been hurt, havnt damaged ears or tags and only do it in a race I'm only 163cm and around 56 kgs....must be either lucky or doing something right

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 8 months ago #470074 by Sue
The other way is to pay to have them tagged at the sale, or get an agent to do it. If you send direct to the works you can pay the $13 "too dangerous to tag" levy.

NAIT will explain the reasons for the tagging, but lifestylers send animals to the sales and works as well, so there cannot be an exemption just for size of farm alone. We all had a responsibility to tag for TB before NAIT, so nothing has changed.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 8 months ago #470076 by Ruth
I have some sympathy for the idea of a dispensation for mature cattle, as there was with the introduction of the TB tagging regime. Sending cattle straight to the works and paying the $13 seems to be the only legal way to get out of tagging them before moving them. I doubt it's legal to send them to be tagged at a sale.

I'd personally be hard-pressed to tag my cows, with small hands and some consequent trouble with the tagger. Fortunately I have someone who is quick and able with huge hands and does it for me.

More
10 years 8 months ago #470091 by Sue
Ruth, I know that our local saleyards agents are tagging untagged animals that arrive for the time being,but don,t know for how long! They charge for it of course, something like $25 per animal, I too am not looking forward to doing my older animals. Thank goodness this is the third year we have NAIT tagged at birth. I still have at least 20 mature cows without NAI T tags and one that is even older than the AHB tag scheme. She does have our own stud tag though. As the older girls leave I'll do them as needed, but I' m happy to pay the $13 to the works for them and save both the added stress to them and me!

Sue

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds