NAIT Questions and Answers forum

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #460098 by max2
Thanks for the reply. When the system was first announced, that is how I envisaged it working and the reason behind why it was starting up to begin with.

Are you finding it taking longer than first expected to get compliance in place and working?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #460137 by NAIT Ltd

swaggie;461664 wrote: Thanks for the reply. When the system was first announced, that is how I envisaged it working and the reason behind why it was starting up to begin with.

Are you finding it taking longer than first expected to get compliance in place and working?

Hi Swaggie,

We are actually finding that tagging compliance has been much higher and faster than initially expected. Over 90% of cattle arriving at meat processors are tagged.

Farmers have really stepped up and are meeting their obligations. Most calls our team receive are 'how do I do this' type questions. We are now reminding farmers of the paperwork type NAIT requirements, of registering animals once they are tagged and recording and confirming movements.

At the end of March this year we had over 60,000 PICAs registered, 4,598,194 live cattle registered, and 54,436 live deer registered.

Thanks,

The NAIT team

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.nait.co.nz | www.tbfree.co.nz | www.ospri.co.nz

The NAIT and TBfree New Zealand programmes are powered by OSPRI New Zealand

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #460150 by NAIT Ltd
Hi Lifestylers,

Feel like winning a trip to Sydney for the All Blacks Australia Bledisloe cup match?

Get your NAIT and Farming show bumper sticker, stick it on your ute / bike/ beer fridge or anywhere, and upload a picture to the Farmingshow website. Simple.

Visit their website to find out more and get your sticker.

Goodluck,

The Team at NAIT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
11 years 1 week ago #460571 by max2
Good to see the first alert come through from NAIT this morning! :)

(got my stickers, thanks).

More
11 years 1 week ago #460573 by Sue
I agree with Swaggie re this mornings alert from NAIT!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 1 week ago #460574 by Ruth
This is the Theileria one?

More
11 years 1 week ago #460577 by Sue
Yes Ruth!

I would also like to add that I have just found out another way to add stuff to my NAIT register of animals-by asking the helpful guys at Beef Expo, many thanks!

If you want to add to what you have already got on your list of registered animals-I now know what to do!

If your animal has a great string of numbers, and no other information-and at a later date you want to add "other identifier" eg the animals visual tag number or even a name-when you go on to the edit details part and insert whatever it is you want to add-you press "add more" before SAVE-even if you only want to put in one name/number, not any "more".

It may seem fairly basic, but I couldn't work out why I couldn't add the other information like the visual large tag even though I put in the large tag number and pressed SAVE- and didn't even know it would accept a name!

This would be useful when you actually tag your existing cows that are not birth registered and you can put in a name/ visual panel tag number, so that when you look at that list of numbers you can see who is who-when you come to get rid of some.
If the animal is birth tagged and its visual panel tag is the same as its NAIT tag, then it is not a problem-but I was beginning to have several animals that were virtually just a row of 17 digits!

Of course I may just be slow of working out how this facility works-but I'm sure someone else might find it useful!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 1 week ago #460586 by Ruth
You can add those "other identifiers" via a csv upload as well. Several of mine have names on their NAIT records - although it seems that when the animals go to the works, their record completely disappears from my NAIT login, so it's not a permanent record-keeping option.

More
11 years 1 week ago #460587 by max2
I had that problem too Sue, was pressing save and it wouldn't save.... :rolleyes: I was hoping that little anomoly with the system would have been addressed, as I telephoned NAIT to see why it wasn't working for me.

More
11 years 1 week ago #460588 by max2

Ruth;462199 wrote: This is the Theileria one?

have you received other health alerts? :confused:

More
11 years 1 week ago #460589 by Ruth

swaggie;462216 wrote: have you received other health alerts? :confused:

No, just checking I hadn't missed out on anything else. :D

More
11 years 1 week ago #460597 by Sue

You can add those "other identifiers" via a csv upload as well. Several of mine have names on their NAIT records - although it seems that when the animals go to the works, their record completely disappears from my NAIT login, so it's not a permanent record-keeping option.

I realise it isn't a permanent record, I have plenty of those elsewhere, with a completely different set of letters and numbers, but I thought it was really useful to add in another identifier to the NAIT list-so that if I was sending away one of my retagged animals, or in the case of 2 bought in bulls with their different identifier codes-to actually see who was who without having to refer back to my own records.

Had a case with a traka tagged bull calf only last week-was damned if I could decide which he was, without referring back to my pedigree records-so much easier now with his real panel tag number on the identifier list!
Swaggie, did NAIT tell you to press the "add more" button first when you asked, or didn't it work to start with?

Sue

More
11 years 1 week ago #460612 by max2
Sue, NAIT told me to press the add more button for it to load/save. Odd to my way of thinking and could have been simplified to just save.... :rolleyes:

Oh well, can't be perfect all the time.. :D these small things will no doubt be sorted in time.

Ruth, good news, I was thinking the same, perhaps we had missed on other alerts. A bit of a mixed reaction down my neck of the woods, a neighbour feels one of his stock had the same a few weeks ago, asked the vets to do bloods, confirmed by telephone bloods were sent, received his vet account last week which didn't show bloods as an expense, has since telephoned for a copy of the blood results, no response to date.. might be an ideal time for reviews to be conducted in other areas of the farming industry as to how they react to initial reporting of ''off'' animals.

More
11 years 1 week ago #460613 by max2
I forgot to say I have started an excel document record for my stock numbers. We are using purple tags for 2013 born calves, with individual numbers. This is being entered on the NAIT system as other identifying tags, but on my excel document shows an individual.

Once I have surveyed the field day specials for wands/scales, I intend to expand my excel database for each animal. At this very early stage I am recording sex, date of purchase, amount paid, and in the short term, what treatments we have provided. Basically as an animal health/history record.

More
11 years 1 week ago #460670 by NAIT Ltd
Here's a few links to some user guides which may be helpful when you want to add other identifiers to your animals:
The team at NAIT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds