NAIT Questions and Answers forum

More
11 years 3 months ago #451570 by NAIT Ltd

LongRidge;452202 wrote: A reminder please.
I am about to send my untagged cows and their tagged calves to out-of-district grazing. They are going to a NAIT registered property
1. The cattle are elderly, so I don't have Traka tags for them and don't want to do it until I have to. Do I have to put Traka tags in them?
2. I am going to continue being the owner. Do I remain the PIC, or do I have to tell NAIT who is and where they are?

Hi LongRidge,

There are a couple of options for you in this situation.
  • If you will be the person looking after the animals on the grazing block and it is within 20km of your main farm (in a straight line on a map) the cows can be moved without tags and no movement will need to be recorded, you will just need to add the details of the grazing block onto your own existing NAIT number.
  • If you will be the person looking after the animals on the grazing block but it is outside 20km from your main farm, you will need to register the grazing block for a new NAIT number and the animals will need to be tagged and the movement to the new number will need to be recorded.
  • If you won't be the person looking after the animals regardless of the distance you will need to tag the animals and record the movement.

If you require any help with the registration or movements please give us a call on 0800 624 843 and we will be happy to walk you through the process.

Cheers,

The team at NAIT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.nait.co.nz | www.tbfree.co.nz | www.ospri.co.nz

The NAIT and TBfree New Zealand programmes are powered by OSPRI New Zealand

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #452298 by Cigar
I have a question that I can't find the answer to on the NAIT website.
Can a property come under more than one NAIT number? Or have more than one PICA?

The reason I ask...
There is a possibility we may graze our cattle (all NAIT tagged and registered) on a neighbouring property, but I would still be managing/looking after the cattle (so I guess that still means I am the PICA for my animals). If the neighbour already has a NAIT number, and may be buying cattle of his own, and other people may be grazing thier cattle on his property, what is the best way to work this?

If possible, I would prefer to add his property to our NAIT number so I can deal with our animals, while he is still the PICA for the other animals on the property under his NAIT number (so that I'm not responsible for animals I have nothing to do with).
The only option I am aware of at the moment is that we record the movements between our place and his (as normal), which is fine with me, but he would then be the PICA while not actually being the person looking after the animals.

TIA,
Chris

More
11 years 3 months ago #452392 by NAIT Ltd

Cigar;453065 wrote: I have a question that I can't find the answer to on the NAIT website.
Can a property come under more than one NAIT number? Or have more than one PICA?

The reason I ask...
There is a possibility we may graze our cattle (all NAIT tagged and registered) on a neighbouring property, but I would still be managing/looking after the cattle (so I guess that still means I am the PICA for my animals). If the neighbour already has a NAIT number, and may be buying cattle of his own, and other people may be grazing thier cattle on his property, what is the best way to work this?

If possible, I would prefer to add his property to our NAIT number so I can deal with our animals, while he is still the PICA for the other animals on the property under his NAIT number (so that I'm not responsible for animals I have nothing to do with).
The only option I am aware of at the moment is that we record the movements between our place and his (as normal), which is fine with me, but he would then be the PICA while not actually being the person looking after the animals.

TIA,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your question. What you have said you would like to do is correct. As your neighbour's property is within 20kms of yours, and you are still the person in charge of those animals on his farm, you can add his property under your NAIT number.

To do this you just need to log into NAIT with your username and password, next to your NAIT number click on "manage your NAIT activities" then "view/update NAIT number registration details". From there you need to click "change" next to the registered farms heading and then you can add in your neighbour's property.

This means you will be responsible for your animals on his property and would not need to record movements to the grazing property when your send them over. When you are no longer grazing on his property you can remove his farm via the same process.

Also to answer your other question, you can have more than one PICA for a farm to account for situations like yours where two different people are in charge of different animals on the same piece of land.

Cheers,

The team at NAIT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
11 years 2 months ago #455737 by LongRidge
I have been told by Alliance that from 1st March I have to use a new ASD book that now requires my NAIT number when selling cattle. Am I permitted to use the old ASD book without the NAIT info.

More
11 years 2 months ago #455739 by katieb

LongRidge;456891 wrote: I have been told by Alliance that from 1st March I have to use a new ASD book that now requires my NAIT number when selling cattle. Am I permitted to use the old ASD book without the NAIT info.

? if they have said you have to use the new books then I would assume the answer is no

just leave a msg on the AHB 0800 number & a new book will arrive next week.... sometimes truck drivers have books if you need a form earlier, or im pretty sure ive even seen a book at my vets... ask a neighbour for a form

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 2 months ago #455957 by NAIT Ltd

LongRidge;456891 wrote: I have been told by Alliance that from 1st March I have to use a new ASD book that now requires my NAIT number when selling cattle. Am I permitted to use the old ASD book without the NAIT info.

Hi LongRidge,

You can continue to use the old ASD forms until 1 November 2013 (this has been extended, from the original 1 May 2013 date). If you are using the old forms please make sure you include your NAIT number in the 'reference' box (see here for an example).

Thanks,

The Team and NAIT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
11 years 1 month ago #458689 by NAIT Ltd
Hi Lifestylers,

Here's some quick tips about your NAIT requirements. Remember NAIT is mandatory for anyone with cattle or deer - whether you have 1 animal or 1000.

Tag

- Tag cattle and deer with a NAIT approved RFID tag before they are six months old, or before their first off farm movement
- Cattle born before 1 July 2012 and deer born before 1 March 2013 have a three year grace period in which to be tagged, unless they are being moved off farm
- White tags are for cattle and orange tags are for deer

Register

- Register your animals in the NAIT system within one week of being tagged, or before they move off farm (whichever is sooner)
- Registration links individual animals to tags in the NAIT system so they can be traced

Record and confirm

- Sending cattle or deer off farm? Record the movement within 48 hours
- Receiving cattle or deer? Confirm the movement within 48 hours
- Sending animals to a NAIT accredited sale yard or meat processor? They will record the sending movement for you
- Receiving animals from a NAIT accredited sale yard? Confirm the movement

If you need any help, feel free to call us on 0800 624 843 or visit our website where you will find step by step guides on using the NAIT system.

The team at NAIT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
11 years 1 month ago #458702 by max2
I have been interested in reading how far some of the bobby calves I have purchased at the sales yards have travelled in their little life times. Bit of an eye opener really..

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #459994 by max2
I have a question that I don't recall before. Last week a calf I had purchased only 3 weeks earlier (but not put through the NAIT system until late April) due to issues between the NAIT system and the stock agent, died.

The calf was not ill, was unmarked and within the outdoor pen of our barn area. All of the other calves from the same NAIT series of ear tag numbers are still doing well.

However is the NAIT system (I have recorded the death on my activity) up and running enough to recognise if enough calves from the same originator were to die, or even from me, that alarm bells would ring for NAIT?

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #459998 by katieb
I think its for tracing animals incase of an outbreak of some disease that they are notified of.

I dont think they will link animals just dying which came from the same farm...

Think of how many animals some farms send to the sales... & how many people would buy them to home kill older ones (thus just record them as died) etc

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #460024 by max2

katieb;461554 wrote: I think its for tracing animals incase of an outbreak of some disease that they are notified of.

Exactly, and what I think the system should be used for... in my case if a number of calves were to die from the same originator, then I would feel it should give cause for alarm and closer investigation.

but it will be interesting to see NAIT's reponse if they are up and running for this sort of thing.

(I'm still peeved that insufficient data such as date of birth isn't being entered for tagged calves going through the sales ... (ie for lifelong traceability). )

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #460028 by katieb

swaggie;461582 wrote: in my case if a number of calves were to die from the same originator, then I would feel it should give cause for alarm and closer investigation.

have an autopsy done to find cause of death, if a number were to die NAIT arent to know if it was from something contrated before or after the sale unless an autopsy indicates what is was.

swaggie;461582 wrote:
I'm still peeved that insufficient data such as date of birth isn't being entered for tagged calves going through the sales ... (ie for lifelong traceability).

With fully recorded calves on dairy farms this will be happening via MINDA, so buyers of these calves will get these details if the animal sold with a transfer card/one is requested

I imagine many beef calves are just tagged when leaving the property as weaners & farmers arent recording DOB records for each calf anyway, only the date tagged

I would suggest buying direct from the breeder if you want acurate records

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #460030 by NAIT Ltd

swaggie;461550 wrote: I have a question that I don't recall before. Last week a calf I had purchased only 3 weeks earlier (but not put through the NAIT system until late April) due to issues between the NAIT system and the stock agent, died.

The calf was not ill, was unmarked and within the outdoor pen of our barn area. All of the other calves from the same NAIT series of ear tag numbers are still doing well.

However is the NAIT system (I have recorded the death on my activity) up and running enough to recognise if enough calves from the same originator were to die, or even from me, that alarm bells would ring for NAIT?

Hi Swaggie,

Thanks for your question. The NAIT scheme acts as a tool for the agricultural industry to use in the event of a disease outbreak. By tracing individual animals, we can identify those that have been in contact with each other. This means we are able to respond quickly to a biosecurity threat, which will allow trade to resume sooner with less economic impact for farmers. At this stage the NAIT system is capable of reporting information on animal defect deaths, but we are not actively engaging in this. Our current focus is around education for compliance with the scheme. In the future if requested by a shareholder of NAIT to report on this information we would have the ability to do that.

Thanks,

The team at NAIT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #460047 by max2

NAIT Ltd;461588 wrote: Hi Swaggie,

Thanks for your question. The NAIT scheme acts as a tool for the agricultural industry to use in the event of a disease outbreak. By tracing individual animals, we can identify those that have been in contact with each other. This means we are able to respond quickly to a biosecurity threat, which will allow trade to resume sooner with less economic impact for farmers. At this stage the NAIT system is capable of reporting information on animal defect deaths, but we are not actively engaging in this. Our current focus is around education for compliance with the scheme. In the future if requested by a shareholder of NAIT to report on this information we would have the ability to do that.

Thanks,

The team at NAIT

many thanks for the reply Team....

Sooo, to get my head around this, I understand it that NAIT will wait for information to come in that advises of a disease outbreak rather than a cross referencing of premature/early deaths from one operator or one local area?

If that is the case, isn't that going to be like shutting the gate after the horse (disease) has bolted? (and I mean this as a genuine expression of interest).

With seeing the number of calves that go through the yards on a weekly basis, and seeing from my NAIT records the distances that these babies are travelling and how many other farms they must stop along the way at to pick up, its possible (to my way of thinking) we could potentially see a huge number of farms directly exposed before a biosecurity risk is announced via other means - ie people like me letting the first one go as a once off but then doing something about the 2nd and so on.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #460097 by NAIT Ltd

swaggie;461606 wrote: many thanks for the reply Team....

Sooo, to get my head around this, I understand it that NAIT will wait for information to come in that advises of a disease outbreak rather than a cross referencing of premature/early deaths from one operator or one local area?

If that is the case, isn't that going to be like shutting the gate after the horse (disease) has bolted? (and I mean this as a genuine expression of interest).

With seeing the number of calves that go through the yards on a weekly basis, and seeing from my NAIT records the distances that these babies are travelling and how many other farms they must stop along the way at to pick up, its possible (to my way of thinking) we could potentially see a huge number of farms directly exposed before a biosecurity risk is announced via other means - ie people like me letting the first one go as a once off but then doing something about the 2nd and so on.

Hi Swaggie,

Yes you are correct that the NAIT data is a tool to be used once a disease outbreak has been identified. The system does allow for death records to be analysed, and this may be done in the future to enhance New Zealand's biosecurity even more so.

Currently the NAIT scheme enables us to respond quickly to threats. In the 2009 Waiheke Island foot and mouth disease hoax it took two weeks for the then Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry to be satisfied all at risk animals had been identified. Under NAIT it would only take 48 hours.

This is a great improvement on past systems. The ability to be able to identify potential risks before an outbreak occurred would be another added benefit that may be bought in in the future.

Thanks,

The team at NAIT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds