NAIT Questions and Answers forum

More
11 years 5 months ago #444172 by Maree M
We're just about to have a homekill operator come and kill a heifer this week. The animal was tagged (with a RFID tag) pre-Nait by the previous owner. We've had the animal for the past 18 months on our property.

So the previous owner will just change the tag on their records to pre-Nait.

Do we need to try and read this RFID number and register it, then record it as a death. Or because it is not leaving our property alive, and doesn't have one of our own linked RFID tags (that we have purchased to tag all our other cattle that we do plan on selling) can we just do nothing?

Have just read all postings in this thread - it is great and I've learned heaps. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #444343 by NAIT Ltd

Maree M;444022 wrote: We're just about to have a homekill operator come and kill a heifer this week. The animal was tagged (with a RFID tag) pre-Nait by the previous owner. We've had the animal for the past 18 months on our property.

So the previous owner will just change the tag on their records to pre-Nait.

Do we need to try and read this RFID number and register it, then record it as a death. Or because it is not leaving our property alive, and doesn't have one of our own linked RFID tags (that we have purchased to tag all our other cattle that we do plan on selling) can we just do nothing?

Have just read all postings in this thread - it is great and I've learned heaps. Thank you.

Dear Maree,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding recording the death of this animal with NAIT.

When the animal that is NAIT tagged is home killed, it is important to update the animal details in the NAIT system to record the animal death. Because it is important to verify whether the tag is actually currently recorded as Pre-NAIT or currently registered at a location, it will be best that you call us so that we can check the animal details and advise you of the correct action. Please call us on 0800 624 843 and we will check it for you.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact us on 0800 624 843 or email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Kind Regards,

The Team at NAIT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.nait.co.nz | www.tbfree.co.nz | www.ospri.co.nz

The NAIT and TBfree New Zealand programmes are powered by OSPRI New Zealand

More
11 years 5 months ago #444901 by pkb
What happens in this situation?

Farmer A sells calves to Rearer B. Farmer A tags calves.
Lifestyler C buys weaners from Rearer B.
It then turns out that Farmer A has not put the calves into the NAIT system, so neither B nor C can register the transfers.
B tries to get A to register the calves, but nothing seems to be happening.
So....does C end up in trouble as it is weeks since calves were moved but nothing has been registered?

Thanks!

More
11 years 5 months ago #445063 by LongRidge
pbk, a good question. I have bought an animal that was NAIT tagged by it's reaers. I have registered that this animal is now on our property. I keep getting an idiotic reminder from NAIT that the previous owner has not registered it as having left his place, so do I now wish to remove thhis animal from the NAIT records. I am about to call NAIT to tell them to remove this animal from our records, even though it is still on our property, because I'm sick of getting this junk message from NAIT. The Manager has spent hours on the phone getting the animal recorded as now being on our records. So of course I do not want it removed ..... except to get rid of this junk message from NAIT. Grrrrrr

More
11 years 5 months ago #445068 by Sue
LR, I have found NAIT to be very helpful on the phone to sort out these sort of problems!

The system does depend on both parties to the movement doing their part in the sending and receiving and acknowledging that the movement is completed.
I know these messages are just computer generated and I get several when the other party doesn't say they have received an animal.

Even yesterday I had trouble actually recording a sending movement as the screen wouldn't move from step 2 to step 3 (to choose tag/animal from a list), so I could tick the animal in question off my list of registered animals-but the kind phone helper from NAIT was able to see there was a glitch in their system-and did it for me.

Now I am waiting for the receving movement to be finalised by the person receiving the animal-so the hold up can be at either end!

The other problem I had was sending an animal to a person who didn't have a NAIT number-despite havea reasonably large breeding herd. Once again-kind NAIT helper to rescue, gave me a temporary number to transfer bull to, while they contact the receiver to get him registered for the future when said bull has to be moved home to me again!

Just ring-they are really helpful!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 5 months ago #445109 by NAIT Ltd

pkb;444837 wrote: What happens in this situation?

Farmer A sells calves to Rearer B. Farmer A tags calves.
Lifestyler C buys weaners from Rearer B.
It then turns out that Farmer A has not put the calves into the NAIT system, so neither B nor C can register the transfers.
B tries to get A to register the calves, but nothing seems to be happening.
So....does C end up in trouble as it is weeks since calves were moved but nothing has been registered?

Thanks!

Hi PKB,

In this particular situation Rearer B and Lifestyler C would not be in trouble with NAIT, however there are a couple of movements that would need to be created.

Lifestyler C would need to record a receiving movement from Rearer B with the tag numbers for the calves in question, These can be read visually from the outside of the tag.
Rearer B would need to create two movements; one sending movement to Lifestyler C (to match the receiving movement created by Lifestyler C) and one receiving movement from Farmer A.

Our contact centre will be happy to help wlak you through how to create the movements if needed.

Also if Rearer B or Lifestyler C could provide us with the contact details for Farmer A, we could then chase them up to complete the sending movement to match Rearer B's receiving movement.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
If you have any further questions feel free to contact us on 0800 624 843 or email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Kind Regards,

The Team at NAIT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.nait.co.nz | www.tbfree.co.nz | www.ospri.co.nz

The NAIT and TBfree New Zealand programmes are powered by OSPRI New Zealand

More
11 years 4 months ago #446626 by Hongdi
My first experience with NAIT movements. Weird system!
Bought 8 yearlings via an agent on 29th.
A day later, email about movements for 3 of them. A few days later, email about movements for the remaining 5.
Log onto the website and confirm the movements (Elders and PGG can't be wrong about the numbers can they ???)

Then yesterday got this email from NAIT:
Dear ,

XYZ of NAIT number ###, ABC has recorded a movement in the NAIT system of 8 cattle from their NAIT number ###, ABC.

The date sent was recorded as 28 Nov 2012.

The animals in the movement are recorded in the NAIT system as being at your NAIT number.
Either an animal movement record has not been recorded from your NAIT number to ABC, or they have selected your animals by mistake.

Regards,
The Team at NAIT.
So, the day before I bought the animals, another farmer recorded some of them moving. Good.
So why does the NAIT team think that I moved my animals before I had received them? Or that there is a mistake? Because the most likely explanation is that the farmer selling the cattle was a little slow recording the movements. They had to get to the stockyard somehow.

I put the yearlings through the yards and had a look at their tags. One poor beast has 5 tags. What I could see seemed to match their NAIT data. Though several had "birthdates" which were obviously wrong - presumably tagging dates entered instead.

I didn't get an AHB form when the cattle arrived. Has that system disappeared now?
And NAIT need to generate a better form letter.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446647 by Sue
The movement action includes both sending and receiving movements.

From what I read of the letter you recieved, you have not entered them on your report as having been received on to your PICA number the system. I may be wrong but I have had trouble with animals going the other way as well!

I do my bit, say I have moved them off my property, but the receiving person does not acknowledge they have received them-so I get a letter to ask if I have made a mistake in sending them, and do I want to delete the movement transaction?!

No, the AHB forms have not disappeared, you should have got one, especially as they came through an agent!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 3 months ago #450871 by pkb
For completeness, I should say that I contact NAIT by email and they were extremely helpful. They set up the movement in the system for me and are contacting the rearer to verify it from that end. I am very impressed by the helpful and friendly communications which make a slightly confusing system much easier to handle. Thanks!

NAIT Ltd;445065 wrote:

Hi PKB,

In this particular situation Rearer B and Lifestyler C would not be in trouble with NAIT, however there are a couple of movements that would need to be created.

Lifestyler C would need to record a receiving movement from Rearer B with the tag numbers for the calves in question, These can be read visually from the outside of the tag.
Rearer B would need to create two movements; one sending movement to Lifestyler C (to match the receiving movement created by Lifestyler C) and one receiving movement from Farmer A.

Our contact centre will be happy to help wlak you through how to create the movements if needed.

Also if Rearer B or Lifestyler C could provide us with the contact details for Farmer A, we could then chase them up to complete the sending movement to match Rearer B's receiving movement.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Kind Regards,

The Team at NAIT

More
11 years 3 months ago #450881 by max2
My own recent NAIT experience was to receive sending movements email for bobby calves I had bought in.
Turned out they had been traded the weekend before I bought them, and that agent had delayed in processing the mvoement, meaning by the time I accepted my incoming movement the same day I bought them, their earlier send movement hadn't been recorded.

Hardly NAIT's fault, but perhaps more detail could be provided with exact movement dates so then I could have seen they were moved the weekend before I bought them and registered them?

Anyhow NAIT were wonderful on the phone and sorted it out. Its probably the 4th time I have called for help, and at no time have I received a poor reception. If the officer didn't know, they made sure they found out. Much appreciated!

More
11 years 2 months ago #451524 by LongRidge
A reminder please.
I am about to send my untagged cows and their tagged calves to out-of-district grazing. They are going to a NAIT registered property
1. The cattle are elderly, so I don't have Traka tags for them and don't want to do it until I have to. Do I have to put Traka tags in them?
2. I am going to continue being the owner. Do I remain the PIC, or do I have to tell NAIT who is and where they are?

More
11 years 2 months ago #451538 by katieb

LongRidge;452202 wrote: A reminder please.
I am about to send my untagged cows and their tagged calves to out-of-district grazing. They are going to a NAIT registered property
1. The cattle are elderly, so I don't have Traka tags for them and don't want to do it until I have to. Do I have to put Traka tags in them?
2. I am going to continue being the owner. Do I remain the PIC, or do I have to tell NAIT who is and where they are?

1. yes all cattle have to be tagged
2. you move the to the grazing persons NAIT number... when they return the PIC of the grazing propertys stock movements should return them to your number

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 2 months ago #451548 by Sue
My understanding is, only if the property is more than 20kms awayfrom the home property do the old girls have to be tagged, if you are still the PICA.
If the stock are being checked by the property owner, then I understand they must be tagged and moved on 'the system'
I have investigated these questions recently due to using a grazing block 3kms away and also leasing bulls around the district! Luckily the bulls are NAIT tagged already, but the cows which go too and fro to the run off are not- yet!

Sue

More
11 years 2 months ago #451551 by katieb
My understanding from LRs post is this is someone elses propertry & as far as I I know it doesnt matter how close they are they are if someone else is incharge of the property they need to go to their NAIT number

Eventually all animals are ment to be tagged, even if they arent going anywhere... of course this isnt going to happen on many farms but they are surposed to be

From the NAIT website....

"Not all my animals have NAIT ear tags. By which date do they need to be tagged?

Existing stock have a three-year grace period for NAIT-approved RFID tags, unless they are being moved off-farm. This applies from 1 July (2012) for cattle and 1 March 2013 for deer.
Newborn calves born from 1 July (2012) must be tagged within 180 days of birth or before their first off-farm movement."

For those who dont know why we have NAIT ...From what ive been told its so NZ has a record of cattle movements incase there is a disease outbreak so they can attempt to control it by knowing where animals have gone that were in contact with disease animals.... imagine what foot & mouth would do to NZ

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 2 months ago #451558 by Sue
katieb, that is how understand it too, as I mentioned!

Interstingly I can't find reference in the NAIT site to the 20km radius for grazing when still under your control-but I'm sure I read it somewhere! I am sending cows away to grazing too-but within 20kms from home and it is to somebody elses property, but I will be 'in charge' and checking them myself-hence my post that my old girls will not be NAIT tagged, but are AHB tagged, but everything younger that 2 1/2 years old is NAIT tagged anyway ;-) The grazing property address is listed as 'my farm' although it is not owned only leased.

Just as another comment we wrestled with a 4 year old cow the other weekend, to get her NAIT tag in so she could go to a show. She is very big but quiet to handle and lead, had a halter on, was in a secure metal crush with stout head bale, rope over the neck to hold it down, halter tied tightly to keep her head round-and we still struggled-so not looking forward to doing the mandatory tagging once all cattle have to be done.
She already has 2 tags and a tattoo so placement was tricky, then to crown it all, with all the struggle OH put it in back to front!

Some may just have to go to the works and we pay the untagged $13 fee-it is just not worth the risk of injury!

Sue

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds