NAIT Questions and Answers forum

More
11 years 7 months ago #441789 by Sue
If it was an 'unscupulous person' that took him I doubt he would have gone to the works-more likely a home freezer!

I would leave it until you get rid of the rest of the batch-just in case he turns up, and then report him missing!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #441925 by LongRidge
Graham, if you know his number, either visual or electronic, then it would be worthwhile talking to NAIT on their freephone. They might be able to tell you if his number ever turns up. Also contact the police, and the local AHB herd testers to ask if they can keep an eye out for him, and the local homekill butchers.

More
11 years 7 months ago #441984 by NAIT Ltd

Kamigry;441362 wrote: Hi,

I have 5 steers registered to me, one has gone 'walkabout' and despite searching and posting 'wanted' notices around the area he hasnt turned up!
Should I formally inform NAIT of this?
I have held off in case some unscrupulous person has taken him hoping his tag number would alert me if sent to the works etc

Graham

Hello Graham,
Thank you for your question regarding recording this missing animal with NAIT.

You do need to record the missing animal in the NAIT IT System, by updating the animal’s details. To do this you need to view your registered animals, select the animal, then select ‘Update Animal Details’. A new screen will show on which you should select the animal status as ‘Missing’. Then click 'Save'.

You can view step-by-step instructions including screenshots, in the following user guide: www.nait.co.nz/news-and-publications/nai...rd-a-missing-animal/

We hope this information has been helpful to your enquiry. If you have any further questions feel free to contact us on 0800 624 843 or email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.nait.co.nz | www.tbfree.co.nz | www.ospri.co.nz

The NAIT and TBfree New Zealand programmes are powered by OSPRI New Zealand

More
11 years 7 months ago #442355 by LongRidge
We have notified NAIT of both the animals that we have received.
1. Why is the person at Wrightsons that does the paperwork for stock sold through their yards the PICA, even though she has never seen the animals that she is PICA for?
2. Do I have to be concerned that the person who sold us the animal has not yet recorded that the animal has left his place?

More
11 years 7 months ago #442637 by NAIT Ltd

LongRidge;441997 wrote: We have notified NAIT of both the animals that we have received.
1. Why is the person at Wrightsons that does the paperwork for stock sold through their yards the PICA, even though she has never seen the animals that she is PICA for?
2. Do I have to be concerned that the person who sold us the animal has not yet recorded that the animal has left his place?

Hi LongRidge,

Thank you for your question regarding the movement records.

Question 1:
Under the NAIT scheme every livestock company must have a registered person in charge of animals who holds a NAIT number for that location. This person in charge of animals (PICA) is responsible for fulfilling all NAIT obligations at this location. Some companies may choose to register managerial or administrative staff as the person in charge of animals (PICA) who may only on an irregular basis be working on a day-to-day basis with the animals but who may be the best person to contact and best source for animal data in case of a biosecurity alert.

Question 2:
The person who has sold the animal to you is required to record the animal movement within 48 hours from midnight of the day the movement occurred. As the receiving party you can either confirm the correct animal movement record from the sender or, if the sender did not record the animal movement during that time period you can give him a friendly reminder. To meet your obligations under the NAIT scheme you can also record a receiving movement in the NAIT IT System. A step-by-step guide on creating a receiving movement can be seen here: www.nait.co.nz/news-and-publications/nai...ng-movements-record/

If you have already recorded a receiving movement and the NAIT IT System still shows it as a movement record that requires your attention, please see the fact sheet on Movement records that require your attention for more information ( www.nait.co.nz/news-and-publications/nai...uire-your-attention/ )

We hope this information has been helpful to your enquiry. If you have any further questions feel free to contact us on 0800 624 843 or email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
11 years 6 months ago #442992 by BlueSkyBee
Dear NAIT. I am NOT IMPRESSED!!! [:(!]

I went to RD1 today to organise a set of birth tags for my ONE calf, and was told it would cost me over $30.

Apparently that consists of:
about $12 for a 'small order fee'
$13 or so flat fee for courier (regardless of the number of tags ordered)
$3.80 for the actual tags
some other fees for AHB stuff and what have you. (couple of dollars worth I guess)

I was gobsmacked.

This calf is destined for the freezer within 18 months.

Do I really have to pay this ridiculous amount, or is there another option open to me?

If you really want lifestylers to comply with the NAIT tagging, then perhaps some of these charges should be amended a little??

Signed, Unimpressed.

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

More
11 years 6 months ago #442998 by LongRidge
Dear Unimpressed,
As I understand the rules, the animal does not need to be recorded unless it leaves your possession alive.

Dear Nait,
Why did I get informed yesterday that the animal that I had bought had not been recorded by the vendor as leaving the vendor? Of course I do not want to amend my records. :-( It has taken too much effort already to comply.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443000 by BlueSkyBee
I hope you are right LR!

Newborns must be tagged within 180 days of birth, or before their first off-farm movement.

From the NAIT site, which I read as 180 days of birth, or before first off farm movement (if that occurred before the 180 days) but I prefer your interpretation LR.

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

More
11 years 6 months ago #443004 by Sue

As I understand the rules, the animal does not need to be recorded unless it leaves your possession alive.

Sorry LR, the actual wording is;
Newborn animals must be tagged within 180 days of birth or before they are moved to another NAIT number, whichever is sooner.

Which means they must be done, even if they remain on the property on which they are born. The purpose being to be able to trace where all the animals are at a given point in time!

BSB, agreed $30 seems a lot for 1 tag- perhaps you could get more than 1, what is the minimum order? Perhaps traka tags are cheaper than a birth set.

This coming weekend we are off to a Show with 3 cattle, all AHB and NAIT tagged, and I have to remember to record the movement to NAIT the animals leaving the farm Saturday and returning home again Sunday-but evidently you can do the whole movement thing once they have come home-as long as it is within 48 hours-oh and remember to take the ADS sheet with them and have already had to post the TB test results in with the entries as well!
Nothing is straightforward these days!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443053 by Bunter
I'm guessing that the LIC/Minda transfers are still in progress. We have had our last calf purchase confirmed but still not the first 11 that arrived mid Sept to early Oct. They all came from the same source and I know that the seller has done their bit.

Karen
26 Acres South Wairarapa.
1 Dog. 12 yearlings, and 11 weaners ...... hand reared beef x's !

More
11 years 6 months ago #443125 by LongRidge
Thanks for correcting me ..... I think :-(

More
11 years 6 months ago #443164 by NAIT Ltd

BlueSkyBee;442705 wrote: Dear NAIT. I am NOT IMPRESSED!!! [:(!]

I went to RD1 today to organise a set of birth tags for my ONE calf, and was told it would cost me over $30.

Apparently that consists of:
about $12 for a 'small order fee'
$13 or so flat fee for courier (regardless of the number of tags ordered)
$3.80 for the actual tags
some other fees for AHB stuff and what have you. (couple of dollars worth I guess)

I was gobsmacked.

This calf is destined for the freezer within 18 months.

Do I really have to pay this ridiculous amount, or is there another option open to me?

If you really want lifestylers to comply with the NAIT tagging, then perhaps some of these charges should be amended a little??

Signed, Unimpressed.

Dear Blue SkyBee,

Thank you for your post regarding ordering NAIT tags for your animal.

Firstly, we should mention that if your animal was born before 1 July 2012, you will not need to tag it until potentially 30 June 2015, unless it is leaving your property. For animals that are staying on the property they were at as of 1 July 2012, there is a three year grace period regarding tagging and registering the animals. This means that if the animal was born before 1 July, it stays on your property, and you home kill it in 18 months, you would not need to register the animal and therefore will not have to purchase a tag for it.

If however your calf was born after 1 July 2012, you will need to tag and register it within 180 days of birth. You mention you are purchasing birth tags. There are two main types of NAIT tags available.
NAIT Birth sets (or Birth tags) are a set of two tags, the mandatory NAIT-approved RFID button tag paired off with a visual panel tag. These are primarily designed to be put into calves, but could potentially be used in any cattle. Both the RFID tag and the panel tag in a birth set have the same details printed on them, so you can easily obtain the tag number visually from the panel tag.  
NAIT Traka tags are single RFID button tags designed for use in any cattle to make them NAIT compliant before their first off-farm movement.
They are primarily designed to be scanned, but they do have visual details also printed on them including the 16 digit RFID number and your Animal Health Board number. These can be read and then entered into the NAIT system to register the animal and provide information to NAIT regarding the animal. You can also match these tags in the NAIT system to your own visual tags already applied to your animals.

Regarding the costs quoted to you by RD1, the only component of tag purchase price that is paid to NAIT is a $1.10 tag levy. Different retailers can set their own charges over and above this. Both the $12 small order fee and $13 courier fee are not controlled by NAIT. NAIT tags are available from various retailers, and each set their own costs, that can differ. You can also avoid the $12 small order fee if you order 10 tags from RD1, and NAIT tags do not expire, so can be used in the future.

We hope this information has been helpful to your enquiry. If you have any further questions feel free to contact us on 0800 624 843 or email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Kind Regards,

The Team at NAIT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
11 years 6 months ago #443606 by katieb
I understand there are various scanners available to buy. My parents need to buy one very soon so dad has asked me to do the research.... they have 2300-2500 stock on 5 properties(1400 inmilk plus replacements, carry overs & bulls) there are many movements each year! He was wondering if there are scanners that can be hooked into weighing scales so things like calf/yearling weights can be mapped etc

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 6 months ago #443642 by Sue
Yes, there are several that will do this, look up Gallagher www.gallagher.co.nz/weigh_systems.aspx

and Tru test www.tru-test.com/new/EID_readers.asp

as major suppliers.

Sue

More
11 years 6 months ago #443714 by katieb

Sue;443441 wrote: Yes, there are several that will do this, look up Gallagher www.gallagher.co.nz/weigh_systems.aspx

and Tru test www.tru-test.com/new/EID_readers.asp

as major suppliers.

thanks Sue, I had to stop at farmlands for something so asked them & they are going to ask gallagher rep to call me

then went to wrightsons for rabbit food & they called the tru test rep while I was there I ended up talking to him & hes coming to our place on Monday :)

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds