NAIT Questions and Answers forum

More
11 years 9 months ago #435855 by max2

NAIT Ltd;434649 wrote: It is not legally possible to move untagged and unregistered cattle since 1 July. The only exemption is for cattle going direct to the meat processor under the exemption levy. ( www.nait.co.nz/farmers/#stay-safe-when-tagging )

Sorry but I am more confused now.... does your earlier reply mean that sometime soon I can expect to see the DOB on those bobby calves appear in my NAIT account when the other party registers the tag?

As this wasn't done prior to the sale, does that mean the calves were illegally moved? :confused:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #435884 by LongRidge
swaggie, a very interesting point. If it is possible to use vehicle registration as an example, then because your calves had the numberplate but not the licence, then they should never have been allowed on the road/ at the sale. I hope that NAIT is having some very serious discussions with the livestock agents to get this right, and sorted.

More
11 years 9 months ago #435908 by max2
I'm just pleased I wasn't having a blond moment LR! :D

More
11 years 8 months ago #436069 by mooloo
Trouble with tags?? I am having trouble with my calves sucking the nait tags right out of their ears. I have calves with split ears! How can i stop this?

More
11 years 8 months ago #436085 by max2

mooloo;434933 wrote: Trouble with tags?? I am having trouble with my calves sucking the nait tags right out of their ears. I have calves with split ears! How can i stop this?

I am presumiing to each other, not themselves... :D :D :D

Ok, presuming again you have young calves, perhaps under 8 weeks old? Are you feeding them or are they still on Mum?

We introduce ''grow'' a mighty meal (I think its called) product from our grain merchant when they come home from the sales yards, and after their morning milk. Eventually by two weeks they are looking for this feed instead of suckling on each others ear after receiving their morning milk, and it takes their mind away from suckling and to eating something that is good for rumen development.

Just my thoughts....

More
11 years 8 months ago #436128 by Ruth

mooloo;434933 wrote: Trouble with tags?? I am having trouble with my calves sucking the nait tags right out of their ears. I have calves with split ears! How can i stop this?

That's a hell of a split if they've been inserted correctly, into the inner part of the ear!

Lots of NAIT-origin pictures I've seen have tags too far out in animals' ears. If they're in near the head, they shouldn't come out.

More
11 years 8 months ago #436243 by max2

Ruth;435009 wrote: That's a hell of a split if they've been inserted correctly, into the inner part of the ear!

Lots of NAIT-origin pictures I've seen have tags too far out in animals' ears. If they're in near the head, they shouldn't come out.

There were a few at the yards I go to on Monday where the NAIT tag was on the outer side..... still lots of educating out there to be done me thinks.

More
11 years 8 months ago #436254 by Sue
Ruth I've got a yearling bull who pulled his NAIT tag out by rubbing on a gate-as a calf, and splitting his year virtually in half. The tag-which I found by the gate, is now sitting on the window sill by my desk. One day I will get around to replacing it with a Traka tag, but where it will go I'm not sure-there already is a big double panel tag in the other ear.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 8 months ago #437063 by mooloo
well ive now got four calves with split ears! They are not on mum, i am feeding them. They do have meal and hay that they love to munch but for a wee bit after milk feeding all they wanna do is find ears to suck, then they go to their meal! The tags are in the right position. I am wondering if the tag number goes on the inside or outside of their ear though?

More
11 years 8 months ago #437065 by Sue
The tag number, and the raised button part of the tag go on the inside of the ear-and the outside of the tag, at the back of the ear should read-DO NOT REMOVE!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 8 months ago #437066 by Sue
I've just been through another learning curve with NAIT!

The bull I leased out in July has just come home yesterday. The lessor had not registered his movement, I'm not sure he has a computer, although he has got a PICA number.
However-because he has my birth tag-and I know his number without scanning him-I tried to register a receiving movement.

I put in all sorts of combinations of his number-the whole 19 digits, our AHB herd number plus his individual number, his indivudual number only, and the AHB and individual number with and without spaces!
Kept getting (0) animals moved, no tag number found!

Rang NAIT-guess what-you have to put a hyphen between the AHB number and the individual number! Guess I didn't look at the examples listed close enough!

Next dilemma-this animal has now been sold and the agent wants to come and read his tag. Although he is present in person the transaction will be pending until the lessor (with no computer) records a sending movement to my PICA number-despite me having received him. Which means NAIT will have to contact him if he doesn't do anything within 30 days-by which time the bull will have been sold, through an agent, and received on to another farm!
So we'll see how this one turns out!

Sue

More
11 years 8 months ago #437077 by Ruth
Oh now I understand why they don't want our earlier animals to have lifetime traceability: they have no hope in hell of getting them all recorded properly, because the system is going to take so long to bed in!

NAIT: I've now answered my own question, since you FAILED repeatedly and for so long to do so.

More
11 years 8 months ago #437085 by Sue

because the system is going to take so long to bed in!

I suspect it is the the human input part of the system rather than the system itself that is taking time to bed in!!

Sue

More
11 years 8 months ago #437087 by Ruth
Yes, and that's the problem: the human part of the system is most of it.

More
11 years 8 months ago #437143 by max2
Dad mentioned to me on the weekend that the NAIT rules were being updated... but I haven't received anything..

any heads up out there?

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds