NAIT Questions and Answers forum

More
11 years 9 months ago #434971 by Gunrunner

NAIT Ltd;433147 wrote: If the animal destined for homekill is tagged and registered with NAIT currently then yes you will need to declare the death to NAIT if the animal is killed on the property. You can do this online. To see how to record the homekill please follow this link: www.nait.co.nz/news-and-publications/nai...-death-of-an-animal/
If the animal is not tagged then do nothing with this animal in relation to NAIT. NAIT has a three year exemption for capital stock that do not move off your property.

For other animals that are moving off your property to be sold or to the meat processor, again you can record the movement online through your NAIT account. If it moves off to be killed somewhere else then you will need to record the movement with NAIT to the destination NAIT number. The receiving NAIT number will record the death at their location.
To record the off-farm movement you need to know the NAIT number of the destination and also the tag RFID number or printing on the outside of the tag. If the animal does not currently have a NAIT approved RFID tag, you will need to apply one to it.

To see how to record the off-farm movement (for sale or to the meat processor) please follow this link:
www.nait.co.nz/news-and-publications/nai...rd-animal-movements/

Many thanks on info , have noticed that 1 of our calves has lost its tag , so what and how do i get on about a replacement .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #434976 by Ruth

Ruth;430885 wrote: Nait ltd: In case you missed it again:
"I spoke with another registered cattle breeder yesterday who expressed disgust when I explained that his tagged cattle from last year and the year before will not have lifetime traceability.

NAIT Ltd, how about incorporating this feedback into your system? I will keep asking this question until you answer it."

Still waiting ....

More
11 years 9 months ago #435133 by NAIT Ltd

Gunrunner;433690 wrote: Many thanks on info , have noticed that 1 of our calves has lost its tag , so what and how do i get on about a replacement .

Though correctly applied NAIT-approved RFID tags have a high retention rate, it is possible occasionally for tags to be lost or damaged.

If one of your animals loses a NAIT RFID tag you need to retag the animal and update the tag information in the NAIT IT System. Please click on the following link for detailed instructions on how to deal with lost or damaged NAIT tags: www.nait.co.nz/news-and-publications/nai...ost-or-damaged-tags/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.nait.co.nz | www.tbfree.co.nz | www.ospri.co.nz

The NAIT and TBfree New Zealand programmes are powered by OSPRI New Zealand

More
11 years 9 months ago #435619 by Sue
Well two things to update you on! We buried one of our expensive NAIT tags last week-attached to a dead calf :( so that will be interesting to dig up in a couple of hundred years time! I considered cutting it out-but what the hec, you can't use them again!

Secondly, I have just put another movement transaction through online-without a hitch-except I'm still waiting for the receiver of said animal to acknowledge on line he has arrived. Although he did send me an email to say it took 7 hours from leaving my place to getting to his place in Otorohanga!

Ruth, despite NAIT person not replying to your query!!!

I can see the reasoning why despite us both having NAIT tagged animals for 2 years now-they don't have lifetime traceability! It becomes more obvious the further we get into the scheme!

Of course you register your calves and their birthdates as they are tagged-and you have that list on your computer, ready to go as at 1.7.12 when the scheme started-but any of their movements-be it just to a show and home-in our case not yours(!) or perhaps leased and returned-prior to that date cannot be traced on line-'cos there was nowhere to write it!

People who have bought our NAIT tagged animals can either approach us for the RFID number, or read them themselves with a tag reader-but the records only start as from 1.7.12 and where they were on that date in time.

Now however, those tagged animals, when they move off their birth farm, or if already on another owners farm-will have their movements recorded, so it will be part- lifetime traceability :D

All those calves born after 1.7.12 will have lifetime movements recorded.
Simple really!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 9 months ago #435627 by andrewsmum
Nait - question please, I purchased some Birth tags without the yellow panel tags for imenient calves this year, with intent of using one of them to make my charolai cow (4yrs) compliant.. can I do this or do I have to purchase a special traka tag? I need to move them in a hurry and If I could use the ones Ive bought it would be great.

More
11 years 9 months ago #435670 by max2

Sue;434394 wrote: All those calves born after 1.7.12 will have lifetime movements recorded.
Simple really!

Nahhhh, I bought 3 bobby calves at my local sales yard on the 13th august and they are deemed ''unregistered'' by the NAIT accredited person at the yards. They have NAIT tags in place....

I would like to know at what point, because I also thought the 1st July was THE date, when NAIT will force the sales yards to stop handling unregistered animals born after the 1st July?

(ps I delayed accepting my ''received''' movement because I wasn't happy with their status being unregistered.

More
11 years 9 months ago #435683 by Sue
Well swaggie, it is one thing to put the tags in the ears and quite another to actually do the registering through the NAIT site-doesn't happen automatically when someone puts a tag in-even when they think it does!

What I meant to say was that if you go through all the right stages ie register as a PICA, buy the tags, put them in the ears, go into the system and register the animals with the tags in the ears-then from 1.7.12 onwards, they should have a lifetime recorded, if everyone along the chain does their bit!

I guess animals can still turn up at the sale with the tags, be read by the agents, and record the owners NAIT number-but if they were never having registered on the owners record-then they do not exist to be moved!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 9 months ago #435728 by max2
Yes I know what you mean Sue.... do you think there is a problem with the NAIT rules between PIC tagging the stock, and actually registering them with NAIT? I thought the PCI at the yards would have been ''alerted'' by their big NAIT scanner and box they carry around with them when the stock comes in.

.... and for me taking for granted having two computers and two smart phones at home and access to the internet at work, perhaps I am being a tad complacent how a farmer of the old school would go about registering their stock with NAIT if they can't use a 'puter... my FIL would have struggled on his own.

More
11 years 9 months ago #435734 by Sue
Swaggie-I've no idea! But yes, I can see the problem alright. I'm not sure whether the whizz bang scanners, when they pick up a number, can tell if it has actually been registered as belonging to an animal-until it is down loaded on to their computer.

I do know that when I was talking to an agent this week-who had his whizz bang $6000 scanner sitting on the back seat of his car, said that he was talking to the NAIT rep. at Levin sale that morning, and he couldn't understand why people were opting for the $13 , "too dangerous to tag" option-when sending to the works-or the $25 option for agents to tag them when the big un tagged beasts arrived at the yards!
Agent suggested the rep. came and helped him tag the big ones-then he might understand why!

Sue

More
11 years 9 months ago #435737 by GrantK

Sue;434520 wrote: I'm not sure whether the whizz bang scanners, when they pick up a number, can tell if it has actually been registered as belonging to an animal-until it is down loaded on to their computer.

No, even the most expensive portable scanners do not carry around in their memory a database of all the animals that are registered with NAIT. That would be an impossibility due to the sheer number of animals which will appear over time on NAIT's database. All they do is record the serial number of a tag, which does at least allow traceback to the PICA who ordered the tags from NAIT via their local supplier.

Sue;434520 wrote: I do know that when I was talking to an agent this week-who had his whizz bang $6000 scanner sitting on the back seat of his car, said that he was talking to the NAIT rep. at Levin sale that morning, and he couldn't understand why people were opting for the $13 , "too dangerous to tag" option-when sending to the works-or the $25 option for agents to tag them when the big un tagged beasts arrived at the yards!
Agent suggested the rep. came and helped him tag the big ones-then he might understand why!

Indeed! Lifestylers without a headbail will be in this predicament with adult animals. It won't be until most of the animals born pre-NAIT have ended up in the works, that we will hopefully be rid of large numbers of untagged animals.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 9 months ago #435769 by max2
Ta Grant, but for my circumstances, I wonder how long we/I can expect the unregistered little cute beastie to go through without having any birth details at all? And is it going to come back and bite me in the butt 1 year or so down the track when I sell them on?

I presumed this was all meant to be done and dusted by 1st July.... and I equally assume so does my future buyer think the same.:confused::confused::confused:

I thought tagging them with NAIT tags was meant to be a traceability source....

More
11 years 9 months ago #435775 by Sue
Swaggie, when you sell them there will be the record of them going through the sale and being purchased by you, so that is no different than the ones that we tagged prior to July-that have no pre NAIT records.
The records will start from when the saleyards read the tag-then if they have the sellers PICA number-which no doubt they will have-NAIT should follow that person up and make sure the animals are registered when the tags go in.

I know they were very helpful in following up the farmer that leased my bull-when he said he was registered, and they found he was not. I now have his PICA number.

Also I have several NAIT tagged calves at the moment-that are not on the sytem yet!

I can see how easy it would be to do all the tagging and then forget to get them all 'on line' and then sell some before doing so, if you were a dairy farmer. I'm waiting for the last 4 calves to be born, before I load the spread sheet on the website with all their sex and birth date details.

Sue

More
11 years 9 months ago #435839 by NAIT Ltd

andrewsmum;434402 wrote: Nait - question please, I purchased some Birth tags without the yellow panel tags for imenient calves this year, with intent of using one of them to make my charolai cow (4yrs) compliant.. can I do this or do I have to purchase a special traka tag? I need to move them in a hurry and If I could use the ones Ive bought it would be great.

Yes you can use the birth tags on any animal to make it compliant for when it moves off, it does not specically have to be a traka tag.

You can move your calves off farm when they are tagged with the NAIT-approved RFID tag. There is no mandatory requirement for secondary tags in cattle anymore. Farmers can additionally use non-NAIT tags as a management tag if they wish.

To ensure high retention, NAIT RFID tags should be applied to the central/inner part of the right ear, with the white ‘female’ part of the tag facing forward.
NAIT recommends tagging the right ear, as many meat processors, sale yards and farmers have fixed tag readers set up to read on the right.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
11 years 9 months ago #435840 by NAIT Ltd

swaggie;434453 wrote: Nahhhh, I bought 3 bobby calves at my local sales yard on the 13th august and they are deemed ''unregistered'' by the NAIT accredited person at the yards. They have NAIT tags in place....

I would like to know at what point, because I also thought the 1st July was THE date, when NAIT will force the sales yards to stop handling unregistered animals born after the 1st July?

(ps I delayed accepting my ''received''' movement because I wasn't happy with their status being unregistered.

Hi, when a NAIT RFID tag is bought, it has a status of 'unused'. NAIT does not assume that just because a tag was bought that it has been used and has been fitted on an animal, therefore it will not yet be a registered animal on your NAIT number. When you put a tag on an animal, you are then required to register the tag as used within one week of the animal being tagged. This includes providing information about that animal eg Nait Number at birth, DOB and production type e.g beef or dairy. The tag status then becomes 'on an animal' in the NAIT IT System and the animal being a registered animal on that NAIT number. The animals you bought are deemed 'unregistered' as the person who tagged them failed to do this and this is why no DOB or birth place will show against the said animals. NAIT recommends to confirm the movement if you got the animals with the RFID tag numbers that the sale yard said they sent to you. The animal movement will be recorded in NAIT. NAIT will just have no record of where and when that animal was born.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
11 years 9 months ago #435841 by NAIT Ltd

swaggie;434567 wrote: Ta Grant, but for my circumstances, I wonder how long we/I can expect the unregistered little cute beastie to go through without having any birth details at all? And is it going to come back and bite me in the butt 1 year or so down the track when I sell them on?

I presumed this was all meant to be done and dusted by 1st July.... and I equally assume so does my future buyer think the same.:confused::confused::confused:

I thought tagging them with NAIT tags was meant to be a traceability source....

It is not legally possible to move untagged and unregistered cattle since 1 July. The only exemption is for cattle going direct to the meat processor under the exemption levy. ( www.nait.co.nz/farmers/#stay-safe-when-tagging )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds