NAIT Questions and Answers forum

More
12 years 1 month ago #415004 by NAIT Ltd

LongRidge;411188 wrote:
2. Some meat works have extremely good stock control. Alliance in Stoke can pay me for my 3 animals (sheep) from the thousands that they process on that day. Other Companies have not been anywhere near as good at stock control of my animals. Why am I having to risk my life, and pay extra money, performing this tagging operation when the any disease outbreak is most likely to be found at a meat works? Surely the meat Companies should get their stock contol in order before we undertake this unnecessary and expensive task? If Alliance can do it with sheep, then why the heck can other meat companies not do it with beef? And because Alliance can do it, then I don't need to be bothered with this expensive and perhaps dangerous tagging procedure, with my sheep. So why do I need to bother with my cattle and deer?

Yes, some companies do have excellent stock control. But there are a number that do not under the current scheme. Bare in mind Sheep are not included in the NAIT scheme, only cattle and deer. Other species can be added and accommodated for as required. We cannot assume a disease outbreak will start at a meat works. It could be found at a number of locations - too many to list. NAIT will be able to provide up to date data on not only movements of individual animals but also where all NAIT animals are at any one point in time. This way we will be able to track and trace much quicker than existing manual systems, where and what animals have come in contact with other individual animals.
NAIT is aware animal handling can be dangerous. Current mandatory barcoded tagging obligations exist. NAIT is replacing that obligation with and RFID tag in place of a visual barcoded tag. If existing animals have existing barcoded yellow tags you have the choice when NAIT begins to send animals to slaughter with a) an RFID tag added to the existing tag or b) with the existing barcoded tags only and pay a NAIT exemption slaughter levy of $13 per head for having the cattle incorrectly tagged without an NAIT RFID tag. If existing tags are not already in an animal’s ear post 1 July they will need to have an RFID tag to move off-farm.

LongRidge;411188 wrote:
3. Following from above, the carcase is going to lose it's tag at the skinning stage. What assurance can you give us that every meat company has systems in place to make the tagging exercise worthwhile? If you cannot, then surely this scheme is as doomed as the AHB scheme is.

All meat companies are required to have systems in place to link the RFID tag number to the carcase ID number.

LongRidge;411188 wrote:
4. My calves are pretty feisty little beggars, and I'm getting old. Is NAIT going to pay my doctors visit costs when I'm injured tagging them? Our land is not flat dairy pasture with 3 electric wires holding the cattle in. Because the ground is steep and rough there are trees and weeds in the way that catch ear tags, and old or new fences that rip them out too. I cannot afford 5 or 6 sets of tags for my animals, so they are not going to be tagged until they leave my ownership.

When applied correctly, the retention of NAIT-approved RFID tags is between 98-99 percent when applied to the central inner part of the ear close to the head, with the female electronic portion of the tag on the inside of the ear and the male portion on the back of the ear.
Yes you will be required to tag your animals at a young age if they are born on your property. They must be tagged within 180 days of birth or before their first off-farm movement, wherever is sooner. It is easier to put a tag in and get correct placement when an animal is small and at a young age than a larger adult animal. The new regulations under the NAIT act are part of having cattle and deer on a property.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.nait.co.nz | www.tbfree.co.nz | www.ospri.co.nz

The NAIT and TBfree New Zealand programmes are powered by OSPRI New Zealand

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #415005 by Ruth

NAIT Ltd;411650 wrote: You will need to let NAIT know either the electronic RFID number (16 digits) or if a linked birth ID visual tag is associated with the white button RFID tag, then you could let NAIT know that number instead. If you had an electronic scanner you could upload a file electronically or otherwise write down the number s and manually type them when registering an animal.

What is the difference between a linked NAIT tag and an unlinked (TRAKA?) NAIT tag, visually? How will someone know whether or not their animals have birth id sets rather than NAITs added later?

Presumably a NAIT tag obtained to match an existing numbered and barcoded AHB tag will be linked already within the NAIT system when it goes live?

More
12 years 1 month ago #415008 by NAIT Ltd

blimeyvicki;411242 wrote: How do we register for NAIT:( I have a herd number and my animals are (mostly) tagged. I assumed that my AHB registration would be transferred to the new NAIT system but what I'm reading above does not gel with that.

Being registered with the Animal Health Board (AHB) and having an AHB herd number does not mean you will automatically be registered with NAIT as they are two separate organisations. You will have to register yourself with NAIT.
To register:
• Go to www.nait.co.nz and register online, or
• Contact NAIT for registration assistance by phoning 0800 624 843,
When you register, you will need to supply NAIT with some personal information and details about your farm or property.
When you create a NAIT number have your AHB herd number handy because you will be asked to provide it.
If you buy ear tags using a Participant Code, please also provide this when you register. Doing so will enable you to electronically download the tag numbers associated with your NAIT number when you register animals, rather than entering the numbers manually.
Please note: continue to use your AHB herd number or participant code when ordering NAIT tags.

blimeyvicki;411242 wrote:
How much are the tags if I am buying in small volumes (say 10 at a time)? I dutifully had my calves tagged to find at least 2 of them had lost one tag each and left a large "slot" in the ear they had ripped them out of :(

Check with your local rural supplies store or whoever you buy tags from for up- to-date pricing, as NAIT does not sell nor set pricing for RFID tags.

blimeyvicki;411242 wrote:
I don't want to have to buy new tags as the herd/tag number belongs to the guy I bought them from, not my number. Can I just retag them with my own AHB tags or NAIT tags?

Yes if an animal loses a tag you can replace it with one with your own herd number printed on it. Replacement NAIT-approved RFID tags are known as TRAKA tags. You should have a few spares on hand if an animal loses a tag and you need to replace it before an animal moves off you property.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
12 years 1 month ago #415036 by NAIT Ltd

skyline_glenn;411314 wrote: I have 4 steers from the large farm behind us that are already tagged with the NAIT tags. Do we need to register with NAIT or does our AHB registration automatically transfer and what do we need to do with the NAIT tag numbers? These animals will be sent to the works later this year. We also have a steer from another neighbour that isnt tagged with a NAIT tag, it will be homekilled at some stage this year, will this need to be retagged if not killed before july?

You will need to register yourself, your property and your steers with NAIT as the AHB registration does not automatically transfer. Once you are registered you will need to register the individual NAIT tag numbers with NAIT for NAIT to know where each animal is located. You can register yourself now. Animal registration will be available closer to July.

To register yourself and your property :
• Go to www.nait.co.nz and register online, or
• Contact NAIT for registration assistance by phoning 0800 624 843,
When you register, you will need to supply NAIT with some personal information and details about your farm or property.
When you create a NAIT number have your AHB herd number handy because you will be asked to provide it.
If you buy ear tags using a Participant Code, please also provide this when you register. Doing so will enable you to electronically download the tag numbers associated with your NAIT number when you register animals, rather than entering the numbers manually.
Please note you need to continue to use your AHB herd number or participant code when ordering tags.

Provided the steer from the neighbours does not move off farm alive within the next three years, it will not need to have a NAIT RFID tag. There is a three-year exemption for existing animals that do not move off the property from being tagged or registered.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
12 years 1 month ago #415038 by NAIT Ltd

Ruth;411654 wrote:
What is the difference between a linked NAIT tag and an unlinked (TRAKA?) NAIT tag, visually? How will someone know whether or not their animals have birth id sets rather than NAITs added later?

Presumably a NAIT tag obtained to match an existing numbered and barcoded AHB tag will be linked already within the NAIT system when it goes live?

A TRAKA tag is a single RFID tag so it is not linked to any other tags, nor does it have to be. The printing is a seven-digit herd number or four-letter dairy participant code and 16-digit RFID number.
A Birth ID set is a set of two linked tags. One RFID and one visual panel tag. For this set it will have the same information printed on both tags and will be linked in the NAIT system when NAIT begins for cattle in July 2012. The printing on these two tags is identical and is a herd number, year code (optional) and an animal management number.

A hard and fast rule for tags is:
NAIT TRAKA tags are used to make existing animals NAIT compliant.
NAIT Birth ID tags are used to tag newborn animals and are often used for farmers who also want a smaller management number for on-farm purposes which is significantly less than a 16 digit RFID number on a visual tag.

It is safe to say animals that have TRAKA tags won't be linked to any animals’ existing tags.
Birth ID tags will be linked and available in the NAIT system when the NAIT scheme goes live for cattle in July.

TRAKA tags will be able to be manually linked to any existing AHB bar-coded tags tags when animal registration functionality becomes available in June 2012.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
12 years 1 month ago #415056 by Sue
Ah, that last sentence is the one I have been waiting for!

TRAKA tags will be able to be manually linked to any existing AHB bar-coded tags tags when animal registration functionality becomes available in June 2012.

I have purchased some Traka tags for my older AHB tagged animals, so when they are tagged prior to them being sold after July 1st I just need to insert their current AHB herd and individual number against the tag number that gets put in their ear.

I have a little spread sheet waiting to go, only got 25 to do, but hopefully some of those will be leaving before 1st July and the others will get tagged as they depart over the next 3 years. By that time I will have 5 years worth of birth NAIT tagged calves.

Can I use the Traka tags to replace any birth NAIT tags which are lost in the future-or is it better to buy a repacement NAIT tag of the same number?

The numbers are certainly random !!! so we will have to be extra careful to record the number of the Traka tag against the cows existing tag! Once in the ear they are not that easy to read-unless of course you put them in back to front with the number on the back of the ear!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 1 month ago #415171 by NAIT Ltd

Sue;411711 wrote: I have purchased some Traka tags for my older AHB tagged animals, so when they are tagged prior to them being sold after July 1st I just need to insert their current AHB herd and individual number against the tag number that gets put in their ear.

I have a little spread sheet waiting to go, only got 25 to do, but hopefully some of those will be leaving before 1st July and the others will get tagged as they depart over the next 3 years. By that time I will have 5 years worth of birth NAIT tagged calves.

Can I use the Traka tags to replace any birth NAIT tags which are lost in the future-or is it better to buy a repacement NAIT tag of the same number?

The numbers are certainly random !!! so we will have to be extra careful to record the number of the Traka tag against the cows existing tag! Once in the ear they are not that easy to read-unless of course you put them in back to front with the number on the back of the ear!

Hi Sue,

Yes, you can use a TRAKA tag as the replacement tag if one gets lost. The TRAKA tag will become the replacement tag of sorts for the future so you can have them as spares and use them if you notice one is missing. If they still have the visual linked tag you will be able to tell NAIT that cow number xxxx lost its old RFID tag but here is its new RFID TRAKA tag number xxxx and link the two together.

Also yes, TRAKA tags are randomly-generated numbers at point of sale so it is unlikely they would be in sequence if you bought a bunch of them. The NAIT-approved RFID tag is not designed as a visual reading tag. In most cases it is designed to be read electronically or linked to a secondary visual tag if you don't have an electronic reader.

The female electronic portion of the RFID tag needs to be on the inside of the ear to ensure the best retention. If it is the wrong way round you are more likely to have a higher percentage of tag losses.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
12 years 1 month ago #415192 by Jo-Otago
Will a TRAKA tag be able to be used in the same way as a Direct-to-slaughter tag? i.e. will an animal be able to be sent to the works with a solely a TRAKA tag in one ear and would it meet the requirements to tag new calves in this way (if they are destined for the works within a couple of years)?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
12 years 1 month ago #415195 by Clods
If you are registered with NAIT, do you now not need to be registered with the Animal Health Board?

2 horses, 15 Chickens, 1 goat, 2 pigs, 1 cat

More
12 years 1 month ago #415233 by NAIT Ltd

Jo-Otago;411858 wrote: Will a TRAKA tag be able to be used in the same way as a Direct-to-slaughter tag? i.e. will an animal be able to be sent to the works with a solely a TRAKA tag in one ear and would it meet the requirements to tag new calves in this way (if they are destined for the works within a couple of years)?

YES for existing animals you can use the traka tag as you do now for a direct-to-slaughter tag when going to the works. For newborn calves destined to stay on your property until slaughter however, it is preferable to buy a birth ID RFID tag rather than a TRAKA tag but without the linked secondary visual tag. It will make it easier for you to register the tags with NAIT once have you tagged the animals.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
12 years 1 month ago #415234 by NAIT Ltd

Clods;411861 wrote: If you are registered with NAIT, do you now not need to be registered with the Animal Health Board?

Every person owning cattle or deer must register those animals as a herd with the Animal Health Board. Even if you only have one animal, it is considered a herd and must be registered as such. Persons in charge of animals must be registered with NAIT. The person in charge may not necessarily be the owner.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
12 years 1 month ago #415402 by NAIT Ltd

PeterNZ;411270 wrote: You say
How will NAIT cover animals in transport? Lets say we go to a show and register the off farm movement with NAIT. We leave after we showed our animals and are on the road when a disease outbreak happens in the area the show is located. When we arrive back at the farm our first priority is and should be animal welfare. Unloading, feeding, watering and shifting back onto paddock. We might find time the next morning when we log on to the internet and update NAIT. But meanwhile the officials are running around looking for our cattle. How will this situation be covered?

A person in charge of animals will need to record all cattle movements within 48 hours following midnight on the day of moving or receiving the cattle. There are three exemptions to this obligation - movements to land within 20km of your farm that has the same NAIT number, and movements to NAIT-accredited sale yards or meat processors when they are responsible to make the movement declaration.

If you’re taking cattle from your property to a show and back again, you can record the two movements in a single NAIT declaration. If there were a disease outbreak during this time, MAF would manage the appropriate response, which might mean that you are asked to record movements within a shorter timeframe.

The obligation to record movements within 48 hours balances practicality and timeliness.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
12 years 1 month ago #415424 by LongRidge
Do I have to use a yellow AHB tag and a white NAIT tag in my calves, or do my NAIT birth tags automatically link to AHB?

More
12 years 1 month ago #415467 by RhodeRed
Do you guys have cool badges and flashing lights on your cars or are you more trenchcoats and a grim nod across a smokey bar kinda outfit ? :)

More
12 years 1 month ago #415488 by Organix

RhodeRed;412158 wrote: Do you guys have cool badges and flashing lights on your cars or are you more trenchcoats and a grim nod across a smokey bar kinda outfit ? :)

I was thinking more along the lines of a 'Men in Black' theme :rolleyes: You know, saving the world with electronic gismos [;)]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds