NAIT Questions and Answers forum

More
12 years 3 months ago #30753 by kate
This forum was created by NAIT Ltd in cooperation with Kate, the editor of lifestyleblock.co.nz.

The aim of this forum is to offer lifestylers an opportunity to ask questions about NAIT directly with NAIT. NAIT representatives will reply to the questions on a regular basis.

From 1 July (2012) the National Animal Identification and Tracing (NAIT) scheme will be mandatory for all cattle, and from 1 March 2013 for all deer. From these dates anyone in charge of cattle or deer, including lifestylers, will need to undertake NAIT obligations to comply with the law. These obligations include: tagging your cattle and deer with NAIT-approved RFID ear tags, registering with NAIT to get your NAIT number, registering your cattle or deer with NAIT and recording all off-farm movements of cattle and deer with NAIT.

The NAIT database will store information about each animal’s individual RFID number, its location, and the contact details of the person in charge of the animal. The database will meet animal tracing requirements for New Zealand in a way that is consistent with the guidelines of the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE). This will enable New Zealand to response to a biosecurity thread as fast as possible and to therefore minimize the impact it will have on New Zealand’s economy.

NAIT Ltd will limit access to, use and disclosure of NAIT data to the purposes stated in the NAIT legislation. NAIT data will be kept private as required by the Privacy Act.

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #414469 by kate
So...any questions?

Web Goddess

More
12 years 3 months ago #414489 by LongRidge
1.Will the visible numbers on my AHB tags be able to be correlated to the invisible numbers on the NAIT tags? If I quote the visible number to NAIT or AHB about some stock I have got off the road, will they be able to tell me who those stock belong to?
2. AHB can only tell me who originally tagged the stock. Will they or NAIT be able to tell me who now owns those stock?
3. When must the animals be tagged by? If by some age, then how will that be policed, and who will pay for this? If by some age, why if the animals are going to stay in my care for their entire life, or at least until they get onto a truck?

More
12 years 3 months ago #414490 by Stu_R
does this mean that if we take Cattle off farm to an A&P show for example and bring them back after the show ... that these movements have to be recorded every time we go to a show ?

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 3 months ago #414492 by Anne
If I'm sending yearlings to the sales next week, do they need NAIT tags? They have AHB tags.

If I don't need NAIT tags yet, when is the last date for selling without them?

More
12 years 3 months ago #414494 by Sue
What happens to stock already NAIT tagged which have been sold prior to July 1st. Is the purchaser responsible for listing them, and if they have already been killed at the works, yet I still have these numbers recorded against my farm how do we record their fate.

Is there a point/date where we list all cattle on our property NAIT tagged or not?

I have traka tags to tag older breeding cows who already have AHB tags-can I leave tagging these cows with these randomly numbered NAIT tags until they leave the property-eg old cows and bulls going to the works? They already have up to 3 tags in their ears, plus a tattoo which will be unreadable with another tag in the centre of the tattoo.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 3 months ago #414503 by Ruth
Just in case anyone else wondered what OIE actually stands for when it patently doesn't correlate with the World Organsiation of Animal Health, it's the Office International des Epizooties (OIE).

More
12 years 3 months ago #414505 by thevarneys
Do I have to tag a cow who will remain on the property her whole life?

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
12 years 3 months ago #414529 by PeterNZ
Here are my questions:
  • What will happen with all the NAIT Tags we used prior to the 1st of July? We sold a number of cattle already. The NAIT Tags are assigned to our NAIT Account but the tags (animals) are not transferred to the new owners. Will we have to do some sort of inventory on the 1st of July?
  • Many of our friends and neighbors wouldn't even know how to switch on a computer. How would they use NAIT? They can't use an Excel spreadsheet for their NAIT Numbers etc.
  • Again, many of our neighbors don't own cattle but let someone graze their property. People we talked to are not aware at this stage that they even have to register. "But we do not own any cattle" is their reply. They do not read the usual farmers newspaper etc. Many are completely unaware. How will NAIT make sure that these people get adequate training and are aware of their responsibilities?
  • NAIT Tags have a runnning number i.e. No. 35, No. 36 etc. I assume we will have to update the data and identify animals using the combination of our NAIT Acct number and the running number. I.e. NAIT Acct No 1234567 + 35 would identify this animal. What if we buy an animal which has number 35 but is assigned to the seller's NAIT account? How can we, who do not have a RFID Reader make sure we enter the correct number into the system?
My understanding is that the sole purpose of NAIT is to be able to know exactly how many animals are wherea t any point in time. I am especially worried about the fact that already many animals were sold and will be sold prior to 1st of July having a NAIT tag but are not updated in the NAIT database. My feeling is that NAIT will already start with inconsistent data. Being a software engineer I know how the quality of a service suffers if the (initial) data is in an inconsistent state.

Thank you Kate for providing this brilliant platform to ask our questions. And thanks NAIT for spending time to answer them!

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
12 years 3 months ago #414533 by viki
I have some 50 odd yearlings most with nait tags, these cattle were brought as weaners and I have no idea what numbers etc are on these tags. Do I have to get each animals tag number etc and then write them down and pass this onto you?

More
12 years 3 months ago #414545 by NAIT Ltd

LongRidge;411084 wrote: 1.Will the visible numbers on my AHB tags be able to be correlated to the invisible numbers on the NAIT tags? If I quote the visible number to NAIT or AHB about some stock I have got off the road, will they be able to tell me who those stock belong to?

If you have bought a birth ID set of primary and secondary pair of tags, yes. The electronic RFID (radio frequency identification device) tag will be linked in the NAIT system to the visual secondary tag. NAIT will know the link when tags are bought as the RFID and linked visual are uploaded to NAIT from the manufacturer producing the tag. On linked birth ID tags you can inform NAIT of either the visual birth ID number or the RFID number.

NAIT cannot tell you who the stock are registered to directly because the Privacy Act prevents that. However, if you contact NAIT, we are able to contact the registered person of the stock and tell them where the stock is and who has them.

LongRidge;411084 wrote:
2. AHB can only tell me who originally tagged the stock. Will they or NAIT be able to tell me who now owns those stock?

No. The NAIT scheme is not about ownership of stock or ownership of land. It is about the location of animals and who the person in charge of animals (PICA) is at that location. NAIT does not record ownership information.

LongRidge;411084 wrote:
3. When must the animals be tagged by? If by some age, then how will that be policed, and who will pay for this? If by some age, why if the animals are going to stay in my care for their entire life, or at least until they get onto a truck?

From 1 July 2012, all cattle will need to be tagged with an RFID tag if they leave the property. The person in charge of animals (PICA) needs to ensure they have the tags before they move. Any calves born after 1 July 2012 will need to be tagged either before their first off-farm movement or within 180 days of birth, which ever is sooner. Animals are easier to tag and handle when they are young rather than older adult animals.

These animals then have to be registered with NAIT so NAIT has a record they exist even if they do not move off the property for their lifetime. NAIT not only records movements of animals but will also provide data on what animals are on what properties at a given point in time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.nait.co.nz | www.tbfree.co.nz | www.ospri.co.nz

The NAIT and TBfree New Zealand programmes are powered by OSPRI New Zealand

More
12 years 3 months ago #414547 by NAIT Ltd

Stu_R;411085 wrote: does this mean that if we take Cattle off farm to an A&P show for example and bring them back after the show ... that these movements have to be recorded every time we go to a show ?

Yes. Each movement needs to be recorded from your NAIT number to the show which will also have a NAIT number for the event, and back again. In the case of a biosecurity alert it will be necessary that NAIT is informed about any animal movement to track back where the animals have been and with which other individual animals they may have come in contact with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
12 years 3 months ago #414548 by NAIT Ltd

Anne;411087 wrote: If I'm sending yearlings to the sales next week, do they need NAIT tags? They have AHB tags.

If I don't need NAIT tags yet, when is the last date for selling without them?

No, your yearlings do not need to be tagged yet with NAIT approved RFID tags if they are going to the sales next week. The existing AHB-approved yellow primary barcoded tags are fine to use until 1 July 2012 . Use of NAIT-approved RFID ear tags and movement recording is mandatory from 1 July 2012 for cattle and from 1 March 2013 for deer. However, we advise you to tag young animals as it is easier than tagging full grown animals.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
12 years 3 months ago #414561 by NAIT Ltd

Sue;411089 wrote: What happens to stock already NAIT tagged which have been sold prior to July 1st. Is the purchaser responsible for listing them, and if they have already been killed at the works, yet I still have these numbers recorded against my farm how do we record their fate.

As animals registration starts on 1 July 2012 all animals sold prior to this date will have to be registered by the purchaser following 1 July. All animals killed before 1 July will not need to be registered.

Sue;411089 wrote:
Is there a point/date where we list all cattle on our property NAIT tagged or not?

Yes, the date to register all NAIT RFID tagged cattle is from 1 July 2012. For deer it is 1 March 2013.

Sue;411089 wrote:
I have traka tags to tag older breeding cows who already have AHB tags-can I leave tagging these cows with these randomly numbered NAIT tags until they leave the property-eg old cows and bulls going to the works? They already have up to 3 tags in their ears, plus a tattoo which will be unreadable with another tag in the centre of the tattoo.

There is a three-year exemption from 1 July 2012 for existing stock which does not move off your property. If any do move off however they will need NAIT RFID tags so YES you can just tag cattle as they move off-farm to the works. After the three years is up you will need to round up all remaining animals and tag and register them with NAIT against your NAIT number you get when you register for NAIT. And yes everyone with cattle will have to be registered with NAIT.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
12 years 3 months ago #414562 by NAIT Ltd

thevarneys;411100 wrote: Do I have to tag a cow who will remain on the property her whole life?

Yes, every cow needs to be tagged and registered. Full coverage of animal existence is necessary to ensure fast reactions in case of a biosecurity alert. New born calves from 1 July 2012 need to be tagged within 180 days of birth or before their first off-farm movement which ever comes sooner. For existing cattle as of 1 July 2012, there is a three-year exemption from tagging cattle if they don't move off the property. After this time expires all cattle regardless of age or production use will need to be tagged with NAIT RFID tags.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds