Flystrike powder removed!!!!

More
12 years 2 months ago #414155 by the old ram
G'day Belle,please don't be "put off" by the "non believers",I have been using that mineral mix for 30 or so years on all classes of stock.When I first came to this forum I got the same reception as you re her ideas......T.O.R.................

With regard to flystrike in Angora's,if the problem arises each year at the same time I would try "adjusting my shearing times",flystrike in Angora's is a result of introducing Texan /Sth African genetic's with their high grease content.....If you have an "open wound" you could try apple cider vinegar,with 10% copper sulphate dissolved into it and applied to the effected area.We used this many time to treat "scabby mouth" in the past,in both goats and sheep.
.............................................T.O.R...........................

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #414156 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Flystrike powder removed!!!!
Next time I find some maggots I will test them, I think I have some carbaryl in the greenhouse.

I have found some powder at Farmlands, it is being brought in from various places around the country. Very helpful guy.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 2 months ago #414157 by spoook
T O R, we have never had fly strike like this before, ever. [:(!]

Most of the kids have been shorn as they are the worst to suffer.
It is so wrong for them to get struck, so tiny, so defenseless, so cute.

Stu, make sure the 5l Zenith pack it the same product at the 900ml Zenith Spray On. There is more than one Zenith product.

More
12 years 2 months ago #414162 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Flystrike powder removed!!!!
I can't imagine what PC madness has brought about the withdrawel of Flystrike Powder. While the puffer packs tended to be a sod to use because the powder didn't come out at all or came out in a dollop, it was reasonably priced, effective and easy to carry around to deal with freshly struck animals with small spots and stopped it becoming a major. It's been around as long as I've been farming and now it has become a no-no. It's taken them over 40 years to work that out?

Moggo, Zenith, Flypel etc. are all very good and very effective - and very expensive. While they will deal with live maggots on stock, their main function is as a preventative and are not the sort of thing that I would be carrying around on the Mule to spot check a lamb or sheep I found with the beginnings of flystrike.

Belle Bosse, if you don't mind I might just give Pat Coleby a miss. While minerals etc. might play some part, dew, humidity, heat and heat coupled with rain play a far greater part believe me. And so do the breeds of stock being kept which is why you will never see a Merino sheep in the Far North of NZ.

Ruth, perhaps you shouldn't have deleted that post. I have used not salt but a saline solution to rid a piglet (Charlie Brown) of maggots and probably something like 30 years ago, did the same with a lamb that had been hit with the Aussie fly and had a back on it like a sponge. The saline solution didn't upset the lamb but it certainly worried the maggots. It was most satisfying :D

It concerns me that the withdrawel of products of this type will lead people to use the next best thing they might have on hand. Household disinfectant is also very good at dealing with flystrike but is that what we should be using on our stock. God protect me from clever bastards and a PC world.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
12 years 2 months ago #414167 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Flystrike powder removed!!!!
I've never used the powder myself, preferring a spray on. I wonder if this is a situation whereby it became uneconomic to continue making it because more people were using the sprays?

I like Maggo as it goes a long way because it's diluted with water, but it stinks and you need to be careful handling it for safety reasons.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 2 months ago #414174 by Megan
Replied by Megan on topic Flystrike powder removed!!!!
I have used both ordinary flyspray, and Neem oil (diluted) with immediate effect on cases of flystrike. I use ZAP as a preventative. No problem here yet this season, and I haven't used any preventative.

Megan

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
12 years 2 months ago #414190 by spoook
Had a phone call from a manufacturer, it is the diazinon that is the issue.
The rest of the world (?) has banned it, we have now caught up.

I have bought some, hopefully enough to last for years, surely if it was that bad they would have recalled all stock?

It has now made it more expensive to treat flystrike :( As if there was not a big cost on it anyway.

More
12 years 2 months ago #414199 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Flystrike powder removed!!!!

Megan;410747 wrote: I have used both ordinary flyspray, and Neem oil (diluted) with immediate effect on cases of flystrike.

I have some neem oil, given by a friend but with no instructions. How do you use it on fly strike, dilution rate?, spray on? preventative etc?

More
12 years 2 months ago #414208 by stripey
Back to the old Pat Coleby question: I have also read the books and found them fascinating, then tried her mineral mix on my stock, and despite a lot of coaxing my sheep wouldn't touch it. I have since discussed this issue with quite a few people, and the general consensus is, that our soils are quite different to the (much more depleted) australian soils, and few people in New Zealand have had much success applying her directions here. That is not to say her ideas are wrong in any way...!

I have also tried Gordy's fly traps for several years, which were touted for a while as the greenie solution to the flystrike problem. I caught masses of flies but it wasn't a failproof protection system for the sheep.

After a few years of trial and error I now shear in October, put Zenith on in December, shear again in March, and haven't really had any flystrike issues any more.

As to the withdrawal of the flystrike powder - yes, on first glance it is a nuisance when a well used product disappears, but in reality I am glad someone has the sense to withdraw a dangerous chemical. I recall that I was always uncomfortable using it, and hated smelling it.

More
12 years 2 months ago #414213 by the old ram
G'day Ronney,your remark about making the breed fit the land,rather than the other way around is most appropriate in my view.So many times you hear of people trying to make an "unsuitable " breed fit a given landscape......When you have a "drought situation",the stock will "burn' body reserves to maintain itself and even if you are hand-feeding there is no guarantee that the feed itself will not be lacking and so some supplementation may be appropriate.....If however you have a farm which "never" suffers drought,is not "bombarded" by artificial fertilizers and herbasides and has a "huge" range of grasses and other eatables,you are "very" lucky indeed.

It is worthy of note that "none" of our domestic livestock evolved in the Southern Hemisphere and so there needs "are" different to Native stock so dismissing an alternate view to the problem is in my view "foolhardy" in the extreme.

......................................T.O.R..................................

More
12 years 2 months ago #414236 by Mickee
Replied by Mickee on topic Flystrike powder removed!!!!
I recently bought a bottle of Cyrex, looks really great, MUCH MUCH kinder to our health too apparently and only a 7 day withholding period, comes in a small bottle, I got mine from CRT, can be used to treat maggots, to prevent strike and get rid of lice!!!

Believe you just use a back pack sprayer or 5ltr sprayer if you don't have many to do.

Here is a link to the info ......

www.elanco.co.nz/shared/documents/techta...ts%20techTALK%20.pdf

More
12 years 2 months ago #414237 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Flystrike powder removed!!!!
This is what we have been using - well we used it last year, fingers crossed nothing this year to speak of.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 2 months ago #414239 by jeannielea
Have just been to Farmlands and asked about Flystrike powder and was told they won't have any for a long time because of the Japan tsunami. The factory where it is made, or maybe where the ingredients come from was washed away. Same with Maggo which uses the same stuff and when stocks run out they have no idea when there will be any more. it seemed like such an unusual, but plausible explanation that I think i believe them. I liked the powder because I didn't seem to inhale as much as the spray. Plus any flystrike area seems to be very damp so it helps dry the skin off.

More
12 years 2 months ago #414259 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Flystrike powder removed!!!!
ahhh . :( that may explain the hike in Zennith price from November to a couple of weeks back when i went to get Zennith to do the lambs that were going up to HIWTHI's .. novembers cost me $79.90 .. 1wst week in Feb it cost $93.30 :( .. maybe they have the market cornered now from what you just said jeannielea

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 2 months ago #414321 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Flystrike powder removed!!!!
Spook, have you any idea how long it takes from the fly landing on the animal for the maggot to hatch and for the animal to be struck?

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds