Running on sunshine

More
12 years 2 months ago #417078 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Running on sunshine

griev;413888 wrote: yes indidlydeedly do! nothing like peace of mind with backing up a backups backup :D

I also talked to a Wellington resellor, he had been over to the west coast to catch up with a chap that has been off grid for some 20plus yrs and wanted another panel or two,he was blown away to find out all his batteries and panels were still org and in excellent order!

.... and what brand panels ? :confused: I'm pickin' that many of the El Cheapo imports of today won't be around in 10-15 years, leave alone 20+ !

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #417079 by griev
Replied by griev on topic Running on sunshine

Organix;413890 wrote: .... and what brand panels ? :confused:

He couldn't tell, apparently the chap was a bit of a hermit, so just showed him his set-up and politely asked him to leave the new panels by the shed, I would dread to think how much they would have cost that long ago

Let the sun shine on my solar panels[:)]

More
12 years 2 months ago #417080 by Organix

griev;413891 wrote: He couldn't tell, apparently the chap was a bit of a hermit, so just showed him his set-up and politely asked him to leave the new panels by the shed, I would dread to think how much they would have cost that long ago

Not cheap, but probably long since paid for themselves :)

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 2 months ago #417091 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Running on sunshine
Alibaba also has Aliexpress, but not everything on Alibaba can be found on Aliexpress.

I've bought plenty of stuff off Aliexpress, and since they're linked, it's just a case of signing in with my Alibaba account.

A good site IF you can find what you are looking for in the masses of misplaced ads.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 2 months ago #417637 by Organix
Interesting techy article on new PV panel manufacturing methods and cost reductions :)

More
12 years 2 months ago #417721 by griev
Replied by griev on topic Running on sunshine

Organix;414504 wrote: Interesting techy article on new PV panel manufacturing methods and cost reductions :)

Dam best I get my butt into action and make all my panels up before they start full production and I end up witha heap of solar cells gathering dust in the shed haha

Let the sun shine on my solar panels[:)]

More
12 years 2 months ago #417728 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Running on sunshine
It would be interesting to see how this compares to the drawn silicon ribbon method which is also a lot less wasteful of silicon.

More
11 years 8 months ago #436313 by Organix
Nice to see the sun again so our generation is on the rise and time for a thread update.

We generated around 400kWh in both June and July which is to be expected considering the short days and plenty of cloud cover. August is going to be close to 490 kWh with a real boost coming in the last week with 30+kWh/day lately. We are due to swap our 5kW inverter for a 6kW German SMA unit as I suspect our 5.2kW (conservatively) of panels are having their production 'clipped' by the smaller inverter. All going well I'm hoping to top 1,000kWh/month once we have the system sorted and some summer weather [8D]

Our present power bill of $140 (c/o heat pump and oil column heater) is expected to be the last flow of funds in that direction for some time. Hopefully we will have built up enough credit by next winter to well and truly carry us through! :D

How are those home made PV panels coming along griev?

More
11 years 8 months ago #436317 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Running on sunshine

Organix;435288 wrote: We generated around 400kWh in both June and July which is to be expected considering the short days and plenty of cloud cover. August is going to be close to 490 kWh with a real boost coming in the last week with 30+kWh/day lately. We are due to swap our 5kW inverter for a 6kW German SMA unit as I suspect our 5.2kW (conservatively) of panels are having their production 'clipped' by the smaller inverter. All going well I'm hoping to top 1,000kWh/day once we have the system sorted and some summer weather [8D]

That sounds very impressive, given the amount of cloud cover, and short days during June/July.

Organix;435288 wrote: Our present power bill of $140 (c/o heat pump and oil column heater) is expected to be the last flow of funds in that direction for some time. Hopefully we will have built up enough credit by next winter to well and truly carry us through! :D

What would be really interesting is if you compile a table showing generation per month, and net inflow or outgoings of funds from/to the power company for each of those months, with a total at the bottom.

Then it would be simple to work out the annual return you are getting on your $28,600 investment (worked out from $5.50 per Watt for your 5.2kW array, as stated earlier in this thread). If there is anything else you have spent since the initial installation, that should also be accounted for.

If it looks promising, I may consider it at our next property, because the grid-tie approach removes the need for batteries and generators, which are a big disincentive to my way of thinking.

At our place, I've just gone through the annual analysis of which power company offers the best deals and ended up switching back to Contact Energy after Genesis put up the prices for the first time in 2 years. Genesis have given us a pretty good deal during that time, but Contact's online-ontime option, allied with FlyBuys on each power bill tipped the balance, although not by much.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 8 months ago #436321 by Organix

GrantK;435292 wrote: That sounds very impressive, given the amount of cloud cover, and short days during June/July.

What would be really interesting is if you compile a table showing generation per month, and net inflow or outgoings of funds from/to the power company for each of those months, with a total at the bottom.

Then it would be simple to work out the annual return you are getting on your $28,600 investment (worked out from $5.50 per Watt for your 5.2kW array, as stated earlier in this thread). If there is anything else you have spent since the initial installation, that should also be accounted for.

If it looks promising, I may consider it at our next property, because the grid-tie approach removes the need for batteries and generators, which are a big disincentive to my way of thinking.

At our place, I've just gone through the annual analysis of which power company offers the best deals and ended up switching back to Contact Energy after Genesis put up the prices for the first time in 2 years. Genesis have given us a pretty good deal during that time, but Contact's online-ontime option, allied with FlyBuys on each power bill tipped the balance, although not by much.

I'm compiling a spreadsheet of monthly generation, export/import and all expenses which will give us ongoing ROI and the like. Still less than 12 months in and still tweeking things so can't really extrapolate too much from it at present. Once the inverter upgrade is done the total investment will be around 33K (so $6.40/W) due to final installation mod's. Drop us a PM if you want these sort of details.

There are some interesting threads running on Ecobob regarding PV generation and the relevant pro's and con's. Definitely a moving target with current supply prices being so volatile.

More
11 years 8 months ago #436349 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Running on sunshine

Organix;435298 wrote: I'm compiling a spreadsheet of monthly generation, export/import and all expenses which will give us ongoing ROI and the like. Still less than 12 months in and still tweeking things so can't really extrapolate too much from it at present. Once the inverter upgrade is done the total investment will be around 33K (so $6.40/W) due to final installation mod's. Drop us a PM if you want these sort of details.

Cheers for that Organix. When you have a full 12 months worth of data will be fine. Understood that it's difficult to extrapolate at this stage.

I will keep an eye on this thread every so often, as it will be very interesting to see how it pans out.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds