Running on sunshine

More
12 years 3 months ago #412159 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Running on sunshine
We have 24x BP 3215B panels set up in two arrays of 12 connected in series. We imported these ourselves. These are a 20V (nominal) panel so we have (nominally) 240V DC coming from each array which feeds into a Ginlong GCI-5K (5kW) grid-tie inverter. We had 340V coming from each array in semi overcast conditions with the installer estimating that this would peak at around 550V under full sun [:0] The Ginlong was supplied by Solar Wind Technologies who have done our installing and was recommended as both cheaper and more productive under low light conditions than the alternative SMA SMC6000A

Power outages here are not too frequent (for a rural area) and for that reason we don't consider spending large amounts to 'insure' against these occurrences to be warranted. We have UPSs on our router/VoIP and on our solar (water) roof panel pump so we do have ourselves covered to some extent as it is.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #412170 by IceBear
Replied by IceBear on topic Running on sunshine
Thanks. Nice setup, and simple so not much that could actually go wrong.

More
12 years 3 months ago #412173 by IceBear
For anybody interested, NIWA produced a web-based tool for calculating the solar power potential of your address, and panel orientation. Very cool and handy little tool:

solarview.niwa.co.nz/

More
12 years 3 months ago #412177 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Running on sunshine
Thanks IceBear, that is cool...

Web Goddess

More
12 years 3 months ago #412186 by Organix

IceBear;408558 wrote: For anybody interested, NIWA produced a web-based tool for calculating the solar power potential of your address, and panel orientation. Very cool and handy little tool:

solarview.niwa.co.nz/

Thanks, very nice. Bookmarked :D

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 3 months ago #413769 by The Brads
Replied by The Brads on topic Running on sunshine
Organix, well done, looks very good. Enjoy the power!

griev;407198 wrote: Hi Organix, there is a 'magic box put out by Xantrix that can divert the PV power to your house if the grid does go down, A chap in Nelson does import their stuff, but you will need other boxes ie invertor and phase matcher...

The Selectronic SP-Pro inverter/charger is grid capable, without requiring other components, so it is easy to implement battery backed grid tied systems. Can be used in complete offgrid situations, or grid tied.

More
12 years 3 months ago #413914 by griev
Replied by griev on topic Running on sunshine

The Brads;410301 wrote: Organix, well done, looks very good. Enjoy the power!

The Selectronic SP-Pro inverter/charger is grid capable, without requiring other components, so it is easy to implement battery backed grid tied systems. Can be used in complete offgrid situations, or grid tied.

Hi Brads,
does that model incorporate a phase matcher? (this box matches the phase of the grid and the phase of the invertor and phase shifts the invertor to match the grid.

I googled it but couldn't find if it did, I cert understand most suppliers are now producing invertor/charges for grid tie systems, however I was still under the impression a phase shift/matcher was reqd for meridian to allow install, can anyone clarify?

Let the sun shine on my solar panels[:)]

More
12 years 3 months ago #413931 by IceBear
Wouldn't all grid-tie inverters need to have phase matching?? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm hoping to do this in the future so don't want to make a major mistake!

More
12 years 3 months ago #413945 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic Running on sunshine
Oh I am so jealous!

We have solar for all our hot water - with gas backup for when it's not enough for our family. We have discussed both solar generation and wind generation, but the costs we were quoted were prohibitive at best...as in looking at 15 to 20 years to pay back the initial investment if we required no power from external sources... (and that is calculated on $150 per month averaged over a year)

When we were travelling through Canada and the states we were so impressed with the huge fields of wind generators - and to say that they were massive would be an extreme understatement. They were virtually silent, but what noise they did make was neither unpleasant nor disturbing to the animals grazing nearby. They were most often in large corn fields or wheat fields, maximising the use of the land for both 'crops' at the same time.

More
12 years 3 months ago #413990 by griev

IceBear;410480 wrote: Wouldn't all grid-tie inverters need to have phase matching?? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm hoping to do this in the future so don't want to make a major mistake!

I will assume that they will, I couldn't find out on any if they do on the spec sheets, however it is a simple process to do it from the invertor end as it converts DC to Ac so at that step I would have thought a phase matching sequence could be inserted and utilised.

we won't be using a grid tie up here as we are def fully off grid and so unless the power Co run lines up here will never be, and I cannot see that in the near or distant future.

Just send them an email and see, I am 99,999999% sure that it will be fitted, it just has to be.

More
12 years 2 months ago #415311 by Organix
After waiting most of the "30 working days" that Meridian stated that it would take to supply the export meter, today we had said meter fitted and we are now grid tied. Yahooooo :D

We finally got the system connected and generating late this afternoon and despite heavy overcast and steady rain we were maintaining 200 - 400W until about 6:30 before losing generation at almost 7:00pm [:0] Can't wait to see what we can crank out in full sun :D

Incidentally we have recently received notice from Meridian that our supply cost will rise from 27.76 to 28.69 (c/kWh) on 1st April. Our planned 10% ROR may not be too far away [;)]

More
12 years 2 months ago #415322 by griev
Good stuff!

Can't wait to hear what you get too

More
12 years 2 months ago #415541 by The Brads

griev;410463 wrote: Hi Brads,
does that model incorporate a phase matcher? (this box matches the phase of the grid and the phase of the invertor and phase shifts the invertor to match the grid.

I googled it but couldn't find if it did, I cert understand most suppliers are now producing invertor/charges for grid tie systems, however I was still under the impression a phase shift/matcher was reqd for meridian to allow install, can anyone clarify?

Yes, it does include phase synchronising abilities "built in", there is no need for any external boxes of magic to make it work in a grid tied situation.

Althought not yet an NZ standard, the majority of NZ lines and power companies will only allow connection of equipment that has AS4777 compliance (Grid Connection of energy systems via inverters), Meridian included. This synchronising ability is a major part of the AS4777 standard.

More
12 years 2 months ago #415555 by The Brads
Double post - thought the post hadn't worked first time.

More
12 years 2 months ago #416337 by Organix

griev;411995 wrote: Good stuff!

Can't wait to hear what you get too

Mostly clear and sunny for the last two days so we now have some idea of what the set-up is capable of.

Sunday produced 24.5kWh and yesterday 32.8kWh :D We have had a few too many changes in consumption over the past months (solar hot water fitted, spa pool turned off) to know our current average daily use but I'm guessing 6-7,000 kWh/year, so 16-19kWh/day.

I plan on logging monthly generation totals for reference purposes so I'll update those here from time to time.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds