Running on sunshine

More
12 years 4 months ago #30442 by Organix
Running on sunshine was created by Organix
We've been a little busy over the Xmas/New Year break but in a few weeks (waiting on Meridian for export meter :() our home and business will be powered by the sun. It's been a while in the making but we're eagerly waiting for our first 'cheque' from the power company :D And as a bonus our feathered friends have lots more shelter from the sun and rain :D

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/406994=9754-Complete 20012012.jpg[/img]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410743 by Megan
Replied by Megan on topic Running on sunshine
Oh!!!!! I'm green with envy ! (excuse the pun) Rural Wairarapa has almost the most expensive unit price per KW in NZ.

Megan

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
12 years 4 months ago #410827 by greenfingers
Replied by greenfingers on topic Running on sunshine
Yay for you guys! What an awesome way to start the new Year :)

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

More
12 years 4 months ago #410851 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Running on sunshine
awesome organix.. well done you guys.. i did have a chuckle at the vision of your feathered friends roosting on the top edge of your panels..the deposits could cut down on the efficiency...[;)]

More
12 years 4 months ago #410857 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Running on sunshine
That's fantastic, Organix. What a great achievment. You must be stoked!!! Very envious. :-)
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410863 by cappina
Replied by cappina on topic Running on sunshine
What a great setup! :)

More
12 years 4 months ago #410864 by Computron
Replied by Computron on topic Running on sunshine
Oh wow thats cool!

When it comes time for me to build a house, def getting solar power. It's just such a great thing. Love the idea of the panels on that shelter too. Well done you!

More
12 years 4 months ago #410865 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Running on sunshine

stephclark;407114 wrote: awesome organix.. well done you guys.. i did have a chuckle at the vision of your feathered friends roosting on the top edge of your panels..the deposits could cut down on the efficiency...[;)]

All factored into the design :) The tops of the arrays are well beyond 'flight capability' and the lower edge has nothing to grip on so no roosting there either. Hopefully we will just be hosing off the dust now and then to maintain maximum output.

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 4 months ago #410868 by Computron
What do you do in winter? Or is there still enough sunshine then?

More
12 years 4 months ago #410872 by Organix

Computron;407131 wrote: What do you do in winter? Or is there still enough sunshine then?

The system is 'grid tied' so we export our generation and import what we require, essentially using the national grid as a battery. We will run a credit on our power bills for most of the year with probably a generating shortfall in winter requiring a net import of power for those months.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410875 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Running on sunshine
Wow - fantastic! We're considering microhydro for grid tie (mainly because it's 24/7 and all weather) but your solar installation looks so good [8D][8D][8D] and I'm assuming is much easier to get up and running.

Did you need any resource consent?

Did you have to install a very big battery bank?

And only if you feel comfortable disclosing [^] - the biggie question - [^] what did it cost for what kind of expected energy output?

More
12 years 4 months ago #410880 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Running on sunshine
Welcome to the world of solar power :D We haven't had to use our generator at all yet even in the depths of winter....

Web Goddess

More
12 years 4 months ago #410885 by suckerpunchnz
Replied by suckerpunchnz on topic Running on sunshine
Hey Organix!
That's an awesome looking project!
I don't suppose you documented how you did it and what was used?

Thanks.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410890 by Organix

Aria;407138 wrote: Wow - fantastic! We're considering microhydro for grid tie (mainly because it's 24/7 and all weather) but your solar installation looks so good [8D][8D][8D] and I'm assuming is much easier to get up and running.

Did you need any resource consent? No :)

Did you have to install a very big battery bank? No batteries - just grid tied via an inverter.

And only if you feel comfortable disclosing [^] - the biggie question - [^] what did it cost for what kind of expected energy output?

By importing the panels ourselves at good US$/NZ$ rates and doing most of the siteworks ourselves our 5.2kW will end up totalling up at about $5.50/W. A little over what we budgeted so our projected 10% ROR on investment may not be a reality until electricity costs rise a bit :)

More
12 years 4 months ago #410904 by Computron
If you dont mind me asking, was it expensive? I've heard that it is, but i always thought that it would really pay itself off.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds