Questions about buying ewes

More
12 years 4 months ago #410550 by Andrew&Lisa
Hi everyone thank you for all your good advice, i did forget o mention 4 of the cows are lowlines to those who said we may need to have less cattle is this still your advice with lowline cattle, maybe we should start with 4 ewes?
Any thoughts.

Regards

Andrew.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #410568 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Questions about buying ewes
Lowline cattle do have a much lower feed need than other breeds, you can put more on the acre according to what you can read on the net. Mine also are lowlines but, they still have four legs, are in the 450-500kilo range so their pugging is not really much less despite what people say.
It is common for people moving onto a block to collect too many animals at the start and having problems mid winter they are not prepared for. Better to err on the side of caution

More
12 years 4 months ago #410590 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Questions about buying ewes
running out of feed and having to fork out big money bringing more in over winter is the pits! i would suggest enjoying what you have so far, see how they fare over winter then make a decision once you have seen how your land works over the course of a year.

that way you will be better prepared to work out how many animals you can have, and won't be stuck having to get rid of them due to lack of feed after you've grown attached...

More
12 years 4 months ago #410591 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Questions about buying ewes
Hi jsmum - thanks for the clarification - sorry for misinterpreting what you were saying. Yes, that's a good point and I agree with you.

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds