Goodbye veggie patch

More
12 years 4 months ago #409217 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Goodbye veggie patch
We went 8 years and the Guy said it was in good condition and would have lasted another 2 or 3, we do have a front loader washing machine which helps a lot I believe. 3 Adults in the house.

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409234 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Goodbye veggie patch
At our old homestead the tank was cleaned just once after 30 years. By then is was pretty apparent it needed work done on it as a flush would come right up to the rim and then take an hour to fall again. (Elderly father on his own by this time) The outlet had blocked on it also, due to incursion by kykuyu grass through the joints in the field tiles, so Dad had to put in a new soak. We were lucky enough to have the first flushing toilet in the town. Everyone else had to endure the clang of cans on shite-nite.[xx(]

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 4 months ago #409243 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Goodbye veggie patch
For normal family use they reckon about 3 years but probably it's much longer. We had ours pumped when the bowl water was slow going down all the time, but daughter had to call them when theirs overflowed onto the lawn. No doubt where it came from and the cleaners said it probably hadn't been done for about 15 years when the house was built. Landlord refused to pay saying it was Sarah's fault!! And because she was the one who called the septic people (she had an 18month old at the time and it was summer!) they said she had to pay them and sort it with landlord. Guess who paid in the end! But we have also had to have ours pumped when there has been exceptional rainfall in winter and ground water level became so high the tank filled up. Very expensive to get it done I might add.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409268 by sarniagirl
Replied by sarniagirl on topic Goodbye veggie patch

Kiwi303;405273 wrote: concrete lids? caps? hmm, the old fashioned ones I am used to are single chambers and the entire top is a single slab that gets hiabbed up and over... then once the lid is off it's just a concrete lined hole in the ground! they have to dig down 2 to 3 feet to find the tank and dig up the whole top!

OMG !!!!!
Bit tired of digging now;found a concrete corner now dont know which way to go.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409283 by Stikkibeek

sarniagirl;405391 wrote: OMG !!!!!
Bit tired of digging now;found a concrete corner now dont know which way to go.

Do you have anything like an old gum spear? A thin steel rod might suffice if your soil is not packed to hard. You could probe for the concrete so that at least it wont look like an infestation of gopher all over your lawn[}:)]

More
12 years 4 months ago #409301 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Goodbye veggie patch
ohh bugga sarniagirl.. we have the old concrete number, a plastic mushroom thing and a buried lid that gets dug up and lifted for cleaning..
we have had it done twice in 25 years ..
once by mistake..the septic guy was supposed to empty the neighbours, got the wrong address and did ours while we were out :)
the 2nd time, thought it was a septic tank problem, but it wasnt it was a blocked drain.. spetic was fine apparantly..

More
12 years 4 months ago #409321 by sarniagirl
Replied by sarniagirl on topic Goodbye veggie patch
Thanks stikkibeak.
Great idea.Will let you know how it goes.
A few neighbours have visited but all have different opinions as to which way it goes.
Being only 5ft tall I do look a bit like a gopher.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409323 by Stikkibeek

sarniagirl;405447 wrote: Thanks stikkibeak.
Great idea.Will let you know how it goes.
A few neighbours have visited but all have different opinions as to which way it goes.
Being only 5ft tall I do look a bit like a gopher.

If you know which way your outfall goes (often marked by a line of dark green vigorous grass :D ) there's a chance that if you line up the outfall with the mushroom, you will have the tank.! Not guaranteed though :p

More
12 years 4 months ago #409327 by Orchard Cottage
We have a clay pipe with a concrete cap on it as a breather for ours in rural Horowhenua. Moved here in August 11. The house was built in the late 1950's. Had the tank done in the first 2 weeks of being here as the land agent 'thought' it was about 5 years since it was last done. The tank man said about every 5 years for a shallow tank and a family of 4. Our breather is only 3 m from the back door which is actually the main entrance the way everybody uses it. They dug a 2m x 1m strip of lawn up to find the drainage connection to pump from, not the upright breather outlet which lifts off for inspection. I was wondering about dishwasher chemicals and tank microbes as there is a dishwasher fitted here. Have recently changed the laundry powder and dishwashing tablets to an 'eco' brand in the hope that will be less destructive to the tank biology. There is no information on the back of the conventional or eco brand packets about septic tank effects. Off to one side of the lawn there is a raised garden on top of a concrete slab. It was there when we moved in and I am assuming it is the cover of a previous tank. Growing great veg. Any thoughts about do's and donts to keep the tank healthy?

More
12 years 4 months ago #409381 by 2D
Replied by 2D on topic Goodbye veggie patch

Kiwi303;405273 wrote: concrete lids? caps? hmm, the old fashioned ones I am used to are single chambers and the entire top is a single slab that gets hiabbed up and over... then once the lid is off it's just a concrete lined hole in the ground! they have to dig down 2 to 3 feet to find the tank and dig up the whole top!

Ours is like this but it's so at surface level that the concrete is barely grassed over. Don't know how old it is because we have a very old house and probably it originally had a long-drop! I don't think the drains from ours are very well because we have an area of paddock further down which grows the most marvellous green grass but you would sink in if you tried to walk over it. The goats are light enough to walk over without sinking in and they love the grass there, but the cattle sink in so we avoid putting them on there as much as possible.

We do get smell occasionally but we haven't worked out the conditions for that. Not when we've been doing a lot of washing because our grey water discharges directly onto the paddock some way distant from that.
I imagine this is no longer recommended practise, but that's the way it has always been.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409406 by Stikkibeek
The water management pages on LSB are well worth reading www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/index.php?optio...ry&cid=93&Itemid=133

Click on the little subheadings for more comprehensive data.

There is some very interesting reading on waste water management and systems and good sound advice, including the re-use of grey water.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409513 by ddonalds
Replied by ddonalds on topic Goodbye veggie patch
So there are two theories here regarding Septic Tanks:
1: Put as little water down as possible and it will last longer
2: Put down heaps of water and it will break down the effluent and clean itself out.

Which is best?

DD

More
12 years 3 months ago #411501 by Murray
Replied by Murray on topic Goodbye veggie patch
After the earthquake in September 2010 the ground above my septic tank slumped so the drainlayers came to check it out. I'd never been home when it was emptied in the past so didn't know which way it laid or how faar down it was. The drainlayer and I dug down about 70 cms in really hard soil before giving up and him going and getting a little excavator. Anyway, one of the 3 concrete slabs had cracked so they replaced it with one that had a big hole in it. Over the hole he put a length of culvert pipe up to the surface on which he put a really heavy metal lid. So in the future there is no need to dig to service it!!!

Murray - Tuahiwi, Nth Canty
It is better to wear out than rust out - Bishop Richard Cumberland
Wiltshire sheep, hazelnuts, Araucana chooks and Dexter cattle

More
12 years 3 months ago #411541 by RhodeRed
Replied by RhodeRed on topic Goodbye veggie patch

Anne;405239 wrote: Excellent decision. A woman after my own heart[;)] :D .

You did a Homer Simpson "It was like that when I got here". :D

More
12 years 3 months ago #411544 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Goodbye veggie patch

Thats what we have - took me and the septic tank guy (okay the spetic tank guy :p ) about and hour to dig it out as it is 2 foot down. Lid is in 2 pieces and solid concrete.

Been about 11 years since it was emptied. The previous owners had put in a grey water soak system so it was mostly solids in the 1st tank, we had to run the hose to make it liquid enough to be siphoned up.[xx(][xx(][xx(]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds