Goodbye veggie patch

More
12 years 4 months ago #30296 by sarniagirl
How was i supposed to know that the veggie patch that has lovingly taken me 2yrs to complete with its raised borders filled with hand picked alpaca poo, fencing all around to stop the chooks getting in and a delightful little handmade gate, was right over the cover to the Septic tank!!!
Now i know why the radishes are so big.Septic tank man not amused.I lied and said it was there when I moved into the house.[:I]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409084 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Goodbye veggie patch
apart from the vent that they use to pump the tank out .. there shouldnt matter at all whats on top of the tank :)
Maybe i am wrong , but i wouldn't be moving veggie garden .. just the spot that they need to open to pump tank :)
But that's just me :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 4 months ago #409085 by bayrose1
Replied by bayrose1 on topic Goodbye veggie patch
I didn't think they should pump from the vent stu?. It really needs to be opened up to be pumped properly?

More
12 years 4 months ago #409087 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Goodbye veggie patch
ok well i don't know .. all i do know is from at the grove they open up the little concrete lid/venty thing and pump it out of that .. i have seen them do that twice there now
and thats only about a foot square concrete slab they open ... not an entire veggie gardens worth .. so i still wouldn't be moving the veggie garden
That's just me though going on what i have seen done 2 times now at the Olive grove
:) i can only go by personal experience :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 4 months ago #409090 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Goodbye veggie patch
Some older septic tanks (50's 60's) have two large slabs of concrete for lids, not the nice little oval cap on the newer oval type tanks. That necessitates removing the whole top to get at the two chambers. A bugger I know, cause then you have to make sure you seal them up properly or they don't work.
Property we looked at last year to buy had a lovely raised garden built over their septic tank and the land agent proudly told us that it was a great way to use the area. Ha! I don't think so. It was an old enough house to have the old square chambered built-on-the-spot type of septic tank also. Kinda glad we missed the house now as we would also have had to dismantle what was actually a pretty nice raised garden.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 4 months ago #409091 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Goodbye veggie patch
You generally have to dig a bit to get the right spot for the hole cover. Our neighbours had to take out a citrus tree to get to theirs! Never plant anything within a few feet of the mushroom, unless you know for sure which way the tank lies under the soil!

More
12 years 4 months ago #409099 by 3 girls farming
I have my chook run over mine.. .means there is no vegetation to rummage through to find the concrete lid when pumping is required.. guess it depends on the age of the tank as to how much you need to clear to pump... .. what a shame for you Sarniagirl..

More
12 years 4 months ago #409130 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Goodbye veggie patch

sarniagirl;405184 wrote: I lied and said it was there when I moved into the house.[:I]

Excellent decision. A woman after my own heart[;)] :D .

More
12 years 4 months ago #409157 by sarniagirl
Replied by sarniagirl on topic Goodbye veggie patch
I wondered why a beautiful mature rose was in the middle of the back lawn.Built the veggie patch around it, thinking oh, how lovely....Now found plastic mushroom in middle of rose bush and still digging up the tomatoes looking for the lid.
Lots of plastic mushrooms in the front paddock and elderly past owner said septic tank was in there.
Oh well ...veggie patch 2 will be far more superior ...
How about some veggie patch designs please LSBlockers.It would maybe help me to gain some enthusiasm to rebuild.
It was my first veggie patch and i was very proud[^]

More
12 years 4 months ago #409159 by suckerpunchnz
Replied by suckerpunchnz on topic Goodbye veggie patch
How often do septic tanks need emptying?
How do you know when they need to be emptied?

More
12 years 4 months ago #409161 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Goodbye veggie patch
concrete lids? caps? hmm, the old fashioned ones I am used to are single chambers and the entire top is a single slab that gets hiabbed up and over... then once the lid is off it's just a concrete lined hole in the ground! they have to dig down 2 to 3 feet to find the tank and dig up the whole top!

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 4 months ago #409173 by topcat83
Replied by topcat83 on topic Goodbye veggie patch

suckerpunchnz;405271 wrote: How often do septic tanks need emptying?
How do you know when they need to be emptied?

Good question - we've just moved into our two year old house, and want to know the same thing.

Hopefully (we've been told) it won't be for about another 8 or 9 years - but how do you tell? Is it one of those obvious things - like you start getting back-ups in the system (yuk!)?

Oh dear - this is addictive. Now up to 4 alpaca boys, 6 girls (3 pregnant ones), a beautiful cria, a quarter of a stud (I hope we get the dangly bits) and six more girls on the way. The sheep who thinks he's an alpaca goes to meet some new friends tomorrow, we're down to 1 rescue cat, but are still...

More
12 years 4 months ago #409178 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Goodbye veggie patch
Where I lived previously, the council came and cleaned the septics out and they did it every two years.
But usage would also be a determinant of how often it needs cleaning - high usage I would look at doing it every couple of years probably

More
12 years 4 months ago #409179 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Goodbye veggie patch
The F'nDC insisted every three years, but have reverted to five. Five seems reasonable based on our last clean after seven, which was a little too long, by the appearance of the tank - mostly just the two of us.

More
12 years 4 months ago #409191 by 3 girls farming
depends on the system I think... only had this one done twice in 14 years but I also take off the grey water from the washing machine to another tank and I think the less water you put into a septic the longer it lasts.. suppose it also helps if your tank has the right bacteria munching away in there... old tanks used to get a possum put in once a year didn't they??? hahaha..

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds