founder

More
12 years 3 months ago #409005 by Cousens corner
Replied by Cousens corner on topic founder
Hi all
this is very sad and difficult for me to do.
She is currently standing in the soft soil, from the rain, with her toes pointed down which is making her feel better. But other than pivoting from time in the same spot she is hardly moving. Eating her hay fine now that she has had a big jab of painkiller. Yes, she is on strong painkillers & antibiotics just in case there is a hidden infection. And as soon as it wears off she goes back to wobbly & depressed....so unfortunately i guess everyone is right.
thanks for the advice - i have contacted numerous vets and rehabilitation centres now and they all say the same thing. Not good.:( My head can see the point of this, but my heart just cant.
She is only 4 yrs old. I was hoping for a miracle cure that nobody had told me about.. the miz weather in wellington seems very appropriate right now!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #409010 by Jen - Featherston
Replied by Jen - Featherston on topic founder
Cousens has the vet explained what happens with founder? Has her peddle bone come through her hoof or rotated?

If either of these things has happened then the kindest gift you can give her is one of no further pain.

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
12 years 3 months ago #409016 by Horsey chick
Replied by Horsey chick on topic founder
A rotated pedal bone can be fixed, so can 2. You need a good trimmer and to get the sugar out of the horses diet NOW. Afternoon grass is highest in sugar (the grass uses sunlight to make sugar which it turns to starch overnight) and she should be having NO green grass AT ALL. Feed her soaked hay. Get the trimmer as often as they recommend, every week or 2 to start with, get her heels down and toes backed to take the lever forces off the toe wall. A good barefoot trimmer will be able to help. Where are you based?
Have a look at www.hoofrehab.com and www.hoofnz.org.nz and www.calmhealthyhorses.co.nz/laminitis.php

More
12 years 3 months ago #409020 by brodie
Replied by brodie on topic founder
Oh no,what a dreadful,painful thing to have happened to you and your girl.I can highly recommend Ray or Graham from Equine and Farm vets in Otaki-they are both amazing(no disrespect to the other 3 vets there they are amazing in there own rite,too).You could try poulticing polystyrene to the worst affected hooves in the meantime to help make her more comfortable.There is a lady in Aussie that is a farrier/vet and she has some amazing stories on her website www.farriervet.com I recommend having a look at this site and maybe contacting her.She is going to Egypt soon(hopefully) to assist the Prince Fluffy Kareem team(sure I saw it mentioned on this site in the other things topic a while ago,or you can find it on facebook if you have a strong stomach)where founder is rife.I hope there is a resolution for you both,but you may have to be brave and be kind to your girl if there is no other option-as awful as it is only you have the key to her freedom from pain.My thoughts are with you and please let us know how you get on.

2 dogs,2 kids,goldfish,20-ish chooks,2 axolytl,2 turtles,Lotsa free-range pigeons, budgies, pekin, cayuga & muscovy ducks + their babies, 5 horses,a cockatoo called Charlie and no money...[:D][:D];)

More
12 years 3 months ago #409022 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic founder
Because the two back pedal bones have rotated then prognosis may not be good especially as its a big horse, but it depends on the degree of rotation.. I presume this has been confirmed with xrays? To what degree is the rotation? Have you a good farrier?

I have a part clydie that got laminitis due to poisoning(he was also young at the time) and there were times i thought I was going to put him down. But between my farrier and awesome horsey vet he did pull thru. He was stabled on wood shavings for about 3 months, fed Meadow hay (dont use lucerne or anyother sweet hay!) hard fed with meadow chaff (not lucerne chaff!) and low sugar feeds. Also had huge amounts of willow. Had antibiotics when he abscessed and bute for his worse times. I had many times thought enough is enough but both vet and farrier had faith that he would pull thru. His feet were xrayed and he did have two rotations on front feet but wasnt to much of a degree.

It took about a year for him to be completely normal with no ill effects and now you wouldnt even know he had had a problem...He is a great riding horse .. Oh and i used a mixture of 1/2 vodka and 1/2 iodine sprayed onto the feet when they abscessed (farriers remedy..)

But although mine was a success storey, you must listen to the advice of the experts.... Farrier and vet. The rotation of the pedal bones on your horse may be to much of a degree to fix. Heart bar shoes can be used but the farrier would have suggested that if it was an option I suppose. Is your vet a horsey vet? Ive found over the years some vets are great small animals experts and others are great large animal vets...(or both :) )

good luck..

Jan

More
12 years 3 months ago #409025 by Minky2
Replied by Minky2 on topic founder
I've had to have a five year old (the sweetest natured horse you'd ever find) put down because of this too. It's such a hard decision because there are so many cases that seem 'manageable' or curable but unfortunately sometimes founder still seems to beat us. Know what you mean about hoping for the miracle cure. My sympathy for your situation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #409029 by bartona
Replied by bartona on topic founder
Hi there, I have sent you a PM, hopefully it helps, definitely worth thinking about.

Alanah

Life is a gift, embrace it, appreciate it and use it well

More
12 years 3 months ago #409069 by Cousens corner
Replied by Cousens corner on topic founder
Thanks everyone that offered advice and comments. Its all helped. Vets & farrier agree she is too big to be treated, and too far gone. No treatment was helping, and even strong painkillers were only just taking the edge off the pain. Even though i was doing everything right there was no stopping the bones from rotating. Confirmed with x-rays. And due to her huge size, even though on diet, she cant be handled safely, and cant be transported as she can't walk without feeling lots of pain. She had constant care and lots of love, so its been a very difficult decision. Very sad.

More
12 years 3 months ago #409074 by 3 horses
Replied by 3 horses on topic founder
Very sad news, my thoughts are with you.

More
12 years 3 months ago #409083 by LESLEYH
Replied by LESLEYH on topic founder
my thoughts also with you and your beautiful girl in your sad time.

LESLEY

More
12 years 3 months ago #409086 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic founder
Never easy to make the right decision ..so sorry for your loss ...she was blessed to have an owner who cared so much and tried so hard :( God Bless

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
12 years 3 months ago #409093 by kate
Replied by kate on topic founder
I'm sorry you had to make that heartbreaking decision... :( :(

Web Goddess

More
12 years 3 months ago #409131 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic founder
Very sorry for your loss.

More
12 years 3 months ago #409451 by mini gg
Replied by mini gg on topic founder
Hi Cousens Corner, very sorry to hear of your loss :( I went through the exact same situation about 6 months ago, took my mini mare down to see the vet as she had a nasty abcess come through and had been battling laminitis for about 4 years off and on, straight away Peter said put her to sleep, I couldn't do that to her and wanted to give her a bit more of a chance, farrier also said the same thing, after a week of serious treatment I took her up to Massey for a second opinion, they said they could operate but by this time her hoof had started to seperate from her leg, they would cut her whole hoof off and re grow another. I decided the best thing for her at that stage was to put her to sleep, so now she sits on my shelf in a nice wooden box :( was the best thing for her as an autopsy showed operating would have failed, all four pedal bones had rotated severely.

More
12 years 3 months ago #409468 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic founder
how dreadful, very sad for you.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds