wow the first frog ive seen here in NZ

More
12 years 3 months ago #408526 by goatmama
We hear the whistling tree frog (another Aus import) down here at night. Absolutely beautiful sound. They don't croak, they chirp and is one of the most soothing sounds along with the soft calls of the Morepork. We have 7 tree froglets in a tank at the moment and will release them to the paddocks near the ditches a month before winter so they can acclimatise before it gets too cold.
At our old place there were tuns of them and I even found one under a bit of wood in the garden mid winter. The neighbour said they used to find them in the wood piles and had to be careful not to put one in the fire accidently. Being only 5 cm and a honey brown colour, they are not easy to spot.

10 acres in sunny Southland. Husband and 3 boys. 17 Wilties, "Clucky quarters" 2 doz + chooks, rouen clair ducks, Coffee our Irish Terrier and Kaz and Mooch our wee Kitty's. Our Big White Shepherd, Nena. Bennie and Mo the moos
Prov 27:27

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #408573 by Rustie
We get them annually here and always have times of the year when you can see them at dusk crossing the road! This year we appear to have had lots more and over a longer season, i guess because of the wet weather, as they're still out croaking now but i'm sure they were last year at the same time! :D

A good friend will bale you out of jail.
A real friend will be sat in there with you!

More
12 years 3 months ago #408582 by digby
Frogs croaking here in Hamilton as well..... but I must say that I haven't heard them in years. A welcome noise!

Bye
Digby [:)]

More
12 years 3 months ago #408583 by digby
Frogs croaking here in Hamilton as well..... but I must say that I haven't heard them in years. A welcome noise!

Bye
Digby [:)]

More
12 years 3 months ago #408638 by kindajojo
Too many feral cats...........................

More
12 years 3 months ago #408648 by reggit

kindajojo;404691 wrote: Too many feral cats...........................

You beat me to it [}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 3 months ago #408749 by eelcat
We have heard the odd one here occasionally, and thought that the frog noise heard more recently was from the next door neighbour's dried up lake, but this morning I was walking along the drive, past the two (of many) ponds that fill up in the rain (where excavation was done when we built the place) and saw bubbles - I stopped and waited and sure enough a little, very bright green frog came up again, swam a little and dived under again. Will now keep an eye out for him or her, and presumably the rest of the family. Had I not read the early postings on this, I possibly wouldn't have paused and seen the little frog. Thanks again LSB.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 3 months ago #408752 by Cinsara

So now that the frogs have returned are you implying the feral cat numbers have reduced? Or could it be the feral cats have had little actual impact on the frogs and it's just hysterical Jo Public assuming they do?
Here's an "out there" thought, perhaps the climatical changes we have experienced in the last 5 years or so is in some way responsible?

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 3 months ago #408753 by Minky2
Great 'frog' stories thanks everyone! I had a pet one when I was little, I used to take it to Auckland on the plane with me in a jar to visit my cousins (doubt you'd get away with that now, imagine putting it on the tray at the check-in!) and we used to drive it around in the drivers seat of our remote controlled racing car! Poor little frog but I'm sure I had it for quite a long time, it was a lovely wee pet!!

More
12 years 3 months ago #408824 by goatmama

Another good reason as to why our new commer stray got a bullet the other night. Don't need him and if people would stop dumping them, more would live out to a ripe old age... some where else!

10 acres in sunny Southland. Husband and 3 boys. 17 Wilties, "Clucky quarters" 2 doz + chooks, rouen clair ducks, Coffee our Irish Terrier and Kaz and Mooch our wee Kitty's. Our Big White Shepherd, Nena. Bennie and Mo the moos
Prov 27:27

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds