Questions for Horse lovers:

More
12 years 4 months ago #30206 by pipjhall
Hi horse lovers!
My brother (currently living in the UK) is moving back to NZ and wants to buy a lifestyle block for him and the English missus who is into horses. He's asked me to forward on to him realestate ads and links for LSB in the north Auckland region (from Akl north to Warkworth) but he doesn't know how much land he needs to buy. She says 10 acres for her 2 horses. He thinks that's too much but he doesn't know horses. She doesn't know NZ at all so I wonder if she's underestimating our pastures? I know grass is different wherever you are, but assuming he ends up in that northern Auckland region, what would be your gut instinct on size properties I should be showing him? Any other things I should think of regarding horses, like how flat it should be, etc? Also, in the AKL climate is it necessary to have a shelter or building for horses or can they be outside 365 days a year? Just wondering if I need to look for places that have a barn or enough flat space to build one. I know zip about horses!

Ta,
Pippa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #407975 by kindajojo
Three acres would be plenty for two horses to graze and allowing good spelling of the pasture and maybe a sheep or two to cross graze... but (there is always a but) what facilities do they want, a jumps /dressage arena. Do they also want to make theri own hay. What will the horses be doing.
In Nz very few horses are stabled, the temperature allows them to be outside with a cover and the Auckland area is pretty warm, grass grows most the year.
A covered yard / three sided shelter is good to have. It all depends on the $$$$$

More
12 years 4 months ago #407980 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Questions for Horse lovers:
Why not get an idea of what he is prepared to spend and then go onto realestate.co.nz or Trade Me and see what the money buys. What facilities they want as kindajojo said is important to know as well.

More
12 years 4 months ago #407990 by Stikkibeek
And 10 acres will support a few other things to help support the horses.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 4 months ago #407992 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Questions for Horse lovers:
Well that surprises me! They usually keep a LOT more horses in ratio to land size, in the UK. North Auckland soil is generally poor clay & parts don't drain well. I would think 5 acres would give them plenty for 2 horses & still have room for more (as horsey people are apt to do. Hehehe) I agree with Didi, take each property on it's individual merits. They'll have plenty to choose from if they're that flexible in land size. :)

More
12 years 4 months ago #407995 by LESLEYH
Replied by LESLEYH on topic Questions for Horse lovers:
ten acres would be a nice size, spelling paddocks, cross grazing with few head of cattle (they can earn their keep pay the rates etc) cut own hay etc etc. Having animals is a tie, so whether you have 3 acres or ten acres you still need to tend to them. Do they have children, will they want to have horses/ponies etc in time.
Shelter is a good idea, whether a stable, shed, shelter belts. Again look at the budget which may answer the size of the land.

LESLEY

More
12 years 4 months ago #408018 by bevhawkins
I would not personally look for less than 10 acres, flat paddocks in some parts for hay, I am english too and stable my horses/ponies all winter at night for various reasons. I noticed that my QH mare did not get mud fever when she was off the mud was one reason and another ponies just do not need to be on grass 24/7. I would certainly like to see my animals from some point from the house, I can see mine from several windows(saves going out in awful weather to check them). An arena is also an advantage as unlike the UK we do not have bridleways so not many riders on the roads, or access to a forest nearby for off property riding. Maybe near riding clubs. Depends on what type of riding she does, dressage, western etc.

More
12 years 4 months ago #408025 by Foxwell
Replied by Foxwell on topic Questions for Horse lovers:
One of the big differences between NZ and UK in terms of horse-riding, is the lack of places to ride in NZ, unless you are in exactly the right spot. In UK, rural land is criss-crossed with bridle-paths. Here you have to be next to a regional park which allows horse-riding or to a forest (which allows horse-riding) or have good relationships with neighbouring farmers. Lots of people here float their horses to a place where they can hack out or many never leave their property and just ride in their paddocks.

So for a person coming from England I would look for a place close to a place where you can hack out.

More
12 years 4 months ago #408027 by Hawkspur
Maybe she wants more than two horses in the future but has not mentioned this to him?[;)] :D

More
12 years 4 months ago #408040 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Questions for Horse lovers:
What about suggesting they just rent when they first get here, get a feel for the area, climate and prices.

More
12 years 4 months ago #408049 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Questions for Horse lovers:
I thought a general rule of thumb was two acres per horse.
Having said that, the two horses next door on 7 acres ran out of grass as they galloped up and down and trashed the place when turned out for the winter. So, what breed of horse etc.
I think the idea of renting far outweighs everything until you know what you want, where you want to ride etc.
Woodhill forest is great for riding and you can register easily and lots of different places to go. If they have a float then there is no worry about finding a place to ride. If she does dressage, she may have a whole different need eg to be near a good dressage arena etc
There is no blanket answer to the question, it is such an individual thing.
My prime consideration would be no clay, look for volcanic or sandy soil f possible.
I better not say which areas to avoid from the point of view of soil or I may upset some other posters

More
12 years 4 months ago #408208 by caro
Replied by caro on topic Questions for Horse lovers:
Apart from the horses, a lot will depend on how much they want to do around the place, and if they want a house already on it, or want to build. Is Bro a handy man that could knock up pens etc. Coming from England, and even most of us NZers, she is going to want some sort of stable block or covered yards. Auck can be a wet and dreary place for horse owners in winter, so somewhere to get the horses off the paddocks and out of the mud would be a priority for me now

More
12 years 4 months ago #408941 by pipjhall

caro;404227 wrote: Is Bro a handy man that could knock up pens etc.

LOL! Definitely not the handy type!!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. He says he doesn't care whether it's empty land to build or already got a house on it. His budget is sickeningly large, lucky bugger. She's well and truly used to the work involved with horses. She's had horses all her life and used to work full-time at a stable when she was in her 20s. She's never had her horses on her own land, though... always boarded them at somebody else's place. Brother has warned her that AKL seems limited when it comes to trails so she's thinking she'd like to be near a beach, forest, etc. It's fun window shopping with somebody elses money!

More
12 years 4 months ago #408972 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Questions for Horse lovers:
Kumeu, Muriwai, Woodhill, Waimauku are all close to the beach and forest rides, the area is well catered for with regards to horse stores, horse events, adult rides etc.
There are a number of horsey real estate agents and there is never a shortage of equestrian properties with all the facilities if you have the $$$.
If you buy out towards the coast you are more likely to get sandy free draining soil and less clay, a really big consideration in my book

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds