Urban roosters

More
12 years 3 months ago #407749 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Urban roosters
I agree Mich. Asking whether it's OK to do something, and if not why not, is not the same IMHO as 'being determined' to do it or 'deciding to do it' and certainly doesn't qualify in my book as being 'downright bloody stupid'. By all means let's villify the people who don't bother to ask and just go ahead and do it, but not tar with the same brush the folks who are willing to ask and learn.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #407780 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Urban roosters
Some of us saw the deleted post before it was deleted :(
I suspect that is what people are reacting to.
Basically it boiled down to...she didn't believe us and plans to act on that disbelief :(

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
12 years 3 months ago #407786 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Urban roosters
Fair enough, Drifter - I didn't see that post. She did say she was angry when she wrote it, obviously rethought what she had posted, deleted it and said she is still working on the problem - so she gets the benefit of the doubt in my book :-)

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 3 months ago #407876 by Furball
Replied by Furball on topic Urban roosters
I do hope that A2I reconsiders, returns and re-reads some of the posts here.

It is sometimes difficult to separate your wishes for an obviously healthy animal to go on living from your responsibilities as the owner of that animal. When you take on an animal (be it as receiving it as a gift, buying it or breeding it on your property) you not only take on the responsibilities for its life, (Which A2I has done very well, by all available evidence) but you also have a responsibility for its death.

For any animal that you own, you have a moral obligation to ensure that it dies as quickly, comfortably and painlessly as possible when it is time for that animal to die. Now that time many be when it is 17 weeks old (for my ducks raised for meat) or it may be at 20+ years old (for a well-beloved horse) but at the end of the day if you cannot either keep the animal yourself, or make sure it is going to a home that will keep it as well as you have, you have that responsibility for its death.

It's not nice. I suspect that anyone on this forum who has been involved with the death of an animal they have cared for has not enjoyed it, but it is necessary.

To dump your animal is an abrogation of the responsibility that you accepted at the beginning. Because you do not see it starve, because you do not witness its confusion, or its pain as it is attacked by a predator it doesn't understand, or as it crouches in rain or cold that it cannot shelter from - that doesn't mean that you are not responsible for its suffering. You are responsible, and that fact that it isn't happening in your face doesn't mean that it isn't happening. It is a form of cowardice, because you are killing that animal by dumping it, you just don't have the guts to sit around and watch it die, slowly and painfully, because of what you did to it.

I honestly commend A2I for asking the right questions on this forum, and I sincerely hope that they come back and understand why so many people suggested a humane death. It is not because we are a bunch of bloodthirsty killers, but because many of us have faced that point of responsibility ourselves, and understand that it is difficult.

More
12 years 3 months ago #407878 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Urban roosters
Very well put, Furball.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 3 months ago #408131 by 3scoremiles10
Replied by 3scoremiles10 on topic Urban roosters
Furball, you hit the nail on the head. Very well put indeed.

More
12 years 3 months ago #408137 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Urban roosters
furball - that was a brilliantly written answer and well done you. Obviously from the heart and truthful. If I knew you personally, I would give you a big hug (and I am not a huggie person! (grin)

More
12 years 3 months ago #408285 by Lindeggs
Replied by Lindeggs on topic Urban roosters
There have been some very sensible and well thought-out responses on this thread. I've just read it through from start to finish, and I don't think the OP was treated too harshly. It was only when she said she was going to ignore all the advice and go ahead anyway that people became a bit tougher in their comments. Tough love I think!

Stikkibeek;403572 wrote: ...Whatever her personal convictions, being a vegetarian , has little to do with it...

3scoremiles10;403394 wrote: ...You should have decided what you were going to do with any roosters before you got young chicks in an urban environment.

To me, this is what it all boils down to. I am a vegetarian, but I totally acknowledge that for me to keep hens for eggs, someone had to deal with the roosters.

I bought my pullets from someone who treats his animals humanely, and I'm very happy to think that he will have killed and eaten the cockerals in order for me to have the pullets. They wouldn't have suffered and they wouldn't have been wasted once killed.

Just because I'm a vegetarian doesn't mean I think everyone else should be.

So thanks to all those people who eat the cockerals and bobby calves so I can have eggs and milk! As long as you treat them well while they are alive, I'm grateful to you. I certainly don't expect you to abandon them to fend for themselves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds