Urban roosters

More
12 years 3 months ago #407427 by Denneaux
Replied by Denneaux on topic Urban roosters
This is the age old dilemma that turns up on this forum very regularly. There are always going to be excess rooster around and people wringing their hands about what to do with them.

If you do not want to kill them and you do not want them killed. You will have to carry on keeping them in the dark to stop them crowing in the morning. Our council allows roosters in town as long as they do not disturb the neighbours...you may want to check with your council though.

Dumping your roosters somewhere is not a option legally, morally, or ethically. Starving on the side of the road somewhere waiting to be hit my a car, eaten by a dog or poisoned by the council is no high life for your pets.

Maybe you will get lucky and find someone who will take them.

When you bought the chicks what was your intention? Did you want to have your own supply of eggs or pets?

How about putting them on trademe for a song, with a phrase like "if you are intending to eat them don't tell me about it" and buying some hens or pullets

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #407428 by Awaken2Infinite
Replied by Awaken2Infinite on topic Urban roosters

These are the guys... and girls in question, just thought I'd add this little clip. Was told some are acoura (sp?), lay green eggs... the females are the brown and speckled. The original intention was supply of eggs I believe but they are more like pets at this stage. Going to keep doing what we do and in the meantime ask a few people who have the land for these guys and see what we can work out.

More
12 years 3 months ago #407430 by Denneaux
Also. Broomstick method is really easy, don't know why that guy is using a spanner or fluffing around so much.
I use the steel that I sharpen the knife with. Grab rooster, steel behind his head, stand and pull. Over before the rooster knew the steel was there.

Important to pull steadily, not jerk it.

More
12 years 3 months ago #407431 by Denneaux
They are nice. Think I saw three pullets in there, but hard to tell.
Good luck!

More
12 years 3 months ago #407432 by Awaken2Infinite

Denneaux;403387 wrote: Also. Broomstick method is really easy, don't know why that guy is using a spanner or fluffing around so much.
I use the steel that I sharpen the knife with. Grab rooster, steel behind his head, stand and pull. Over before the rooster knew the steel was there.

No offence denneaux but you can keep your legal, moral and ethical judgements to yourself for when you are killing your own animals. Thanks for your reply.

More
12 years 3 months ago #407433 by Awaken2Infinite
Thanks for your comments all but I am going to leave this forum conversation now. I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks again.

More
12 years 3 months ago #407436 by 3scoremiles10
Replied by 3scoremiles10 on topic Urban roosters

Awaken2Infinite;403377 wrote: Kaybe, thanks for your awesome message and Nora no you are not going mad, I posted a message and then thought to delete it, I was in a bad mood and angry with some of the replies I had recieved and if you read the message you probably gathered that : ) ...so just decided to delete it. You were probably one of the only ones to read it!

As of just recently I dont eat animals anymore and was raised on meat and have done so all my life. I dont believe animals are here for us to kill and eat as we do and expect a little more from humans, even those who argue if the animal is killed humanely that makes it ok. Not interested in debating that, its just a personal descision that I have made at this stage of my life. The birds we have are perfectly healthy and I can tell pretty intelligent, they want to live and I was bothered by the majority of the responses which was to kill them. I think of birds in the wild and find it kind of hard to imagine they cannot survive without human interference but I dont know and wonder if they would really rather I do this to them instead as people have told me to do on here:

I am not concerned about legal fines, only what is in the best interest of the animals wellbeing, so I am doing my bit to do what I can. Legal threats regarding the physical, health and behavoural needs of animals when the law dictates the horribly unethical way we can breed animals for human greed is almost laughable if it wasnt about animal welfare. So I dont support a system that exploits animals for peoples profit nor particularly fond of the idea of just killing them when it suits out wants. So I am still looking into things and thankyou all for your comments.

So, you're a born again vegetarian who has decided that it would be much kinder to birds who have grown up interacting and being cared for by humans to dump them in an environment where they cannot survive in the wild, where they will get sick, malnourished, attacked by dogs, cats, ferrets, stoats etc, where they will be bewildered at the loss of care and human contact, than to kill them humanely. Just so we're clear. I have rescued too many roosters from abandonment by the side of the road where they were being killed by people's dogs to take this issue at all lightly. One was dumped next to a local dog park, and was too tame to avoid dogs. [:(!]

You ask for advice, and the answers are not what you want to hear, so you rant about how you're a vegetarian and how the law is laughable. You compound your naivete with a sulky stubborn refusal to accept what experts on the subject are telling you. [V] You should have decided what you were going to do with any roosters before you got young chicks in an urban environment.

More
12 years 3 months ago #407564 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Urban roosters
Surely if it's all about animal exploitation one should be a vegan? No eggs or leather shoes for a start! [V] I defer to your terminology Sue, I vote for 'ignorance' after all.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 3 months ago #407571 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Urban roosters
3score, you summed up my thoughts exactly, saved me having to write it and did it much better :D

Cinsara, ignorance? Try downright bloody stupidity not to mention a total lack of responsibility[:(!]

Awaken, if you wish to be a born-again vegetarian, stick to growing vegetables and leave the livestock to those who know what they're doing and have the responsible attitude to know how to deal with things when they arise. Frankly, if I was living urban and had to put up with your roosters 10 metres from my home they would get a short, sharp shift to netherland via the council. I keep hens, I don't keep roosters. Go figure.

More
12 years 3 months ago #407583 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Urban roosters
Not quite anything to do with the posting except obliquely. We have two roosters with our girls, one from Louise W and one from Xartep. Louise's roo is a bantam cross and very handsome but smallish. Xatep's roo is a barred rock and exceedingly handsome, large and a woos of the highest order, and who lives with the ducks, but fertilises all the eggs that have hatched since we have had him (all chicks are absolutely his). They don't crow a lot, though they both do from time to time, though we either hardly hear them or are tuned out to them. What amazes me is the distance from which one can here a rooster crowing. We live in a "subdivision" of sorts of 11 properties ranging from 4 acres to 18 acres. Our most distant neighbour has a roo with his hens and we can hear him crowing from our place. I think the roos "talk" to each other and set each other off in the same was as dogs do. I must admit, I would not want roosters any nearer than our own or the neighbours, although one would probably get used to them.

Sometimes people come to this forum for different reasons - people come and go from any group in life for a variety of reasons - but it does seem a little odd that someone would be thinking in the way that this person does and come to this forum. Won't eat them or kill them humanely but will let them go!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 3 months ago #407584 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Urban roosters
Not sure if Awaken2Infinite is still around, but I wondered whether there is a petting zoo somewhere that might be interested in taking the roos.

Alternatively, would you perhaps consider selling a hen or two with a rooster to rural people wanting to get started with chickens, then buying in hens later to keep for yourself?

I agree about not releasing them into the wild - a recipe for an unhappy, dangerous life for your birds. There are many of us on here that have seen the sad results where people have mistakenly thought they were doing the right thing by freeing roosters (and other animals) into the wild and, believe me, you don't want that for yours.

I do wish you all the best in your hunt for a good home for them. I know you were looking to find some resolution to your problem when you posted, and where there's a will, there's a way. We're animal lovers on this forum and I guess it's hard for you to understand why, as such, we recommend a swift death rather than potential ongoing misery for them, but when it comes to unwanted roosters, that is often the kindest option in the long-term.

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 3 months ago #407589 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Urban roosters
I wonder if the OP is mistakenly thinking that because she sees roosters regularly at her local dumping spot, that they are the same roosters each time?
When, as most of us who have anything to do with the poor things are aware, they are different roosters because there is always an over-supply of unwanted roosters and an under-supply of people wanting to take responsibility for them :(

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
12 years 3 months ago #407592 by LESLEYH
Replied by LESLEYH on topic Urban roosters
this has opened up a hot topic. My personal view is if I was not able to despatch the unwanted roosters then I would not become involved with them in the first place. Purchase hens only (problem solved) or if purchasing through someone else I would ask if any turned out to be roosters would they take them back. If the reply was no I would not go ahead with my purchase.

Since coming from Aussie to NZ I have really learned the meaning of the words 'never say never' I have done things I would never have dreamt of doing. However I don't actively get involved but do the organising. My way around home kill lambs and cattle is to have numbers of them, not named. Therefore I am not thinking of eating 'johnny' we get 15 lambs done at a time, cattle go to the sales or I just don't think about it, or even move them into the designated area (husbands are useful at times)

We all have a moral obligation to look after our stock, I have had horses euthanized if they are not suitable to be re homed, I saw them into the world it is up to me to ensure they are humanely treated when for one reason or another they are not suitable for another life after racing.

I don't enjoy any of the above (and have had sleepless nights) but do take my responsibilities and obligations very seriously. It is better for me to feel uncomfortable than to have any animal/bird discarded because I don't have the guts to front up and elect to take the easy way out (for me not them).

At least I am not lying away at night wondering where my horse/chook is and wondering if it is okay.

Unfortunately if you can't stand the heat best to stay out of the kitchen.

LESLEY

More
12 years 3 months ago #407600 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Urban roosters
It's quite a dilemma this pets versus unwanted issue and easy to see why people get hot under the collar about it. Several members here have recently had issues over wild cats. We all know the devastation they can cause the native fauna. Others have had issues with roosters and even unwanted hens being dumped at lay-bys. If A2I is so determined to abandon her roosters to their fate, there is nothing we can do about it except to condemn that practise completely for the lack of care, the unethical practise and the abject failure to be a responsible pet owner.
Whatever her personal convictions, being a vegetarian , has little to do with it. It seems to be a case of "Out of sight out of mind" and a rather selfish attitude to the welfare of the roosters and to "pets" generally.
We all know how hard it is to relocate roosters. As I said previously, even purebreds are hard to find homes for. I'm sure that breeders have large numbers that need to be disposed of one way or another, and if that means that someone eats them along the way, well that's part of life. If we take on the responsibility of keeping animals/birds and we don't understand the whole obligation that goes with that responsibility, then in my opinion, we are not worthy in the first place.
I wish A2I all the best in her endeavour to re-home the birds, and I'm sorry this reality check is abhorrent to her. Time to take some sweet water with the bitter pill.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 3 months ago #407699 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Urban roosters
Oh dear. I think we may have been a bit harsh on A2I, and after re-reading her posts, I suspect this is a case of being put in the deep end by someone else (A2I was given the birds) and perhaps not having thought through the possibility of most of them turning out to be roosters. I think she needs to be given credit for looking after the birds as well as she has - they're apparently in excellent health - and also for trying to find a suitable home for them.

If one hasn't been exposed, as we on LSB have, to the effects of setting animals/birds free in this type of situation, then it's quite logical (in my view) to see that as a viable option. Reading her posts, she said she was surprised that they would have difficulty surviving in the wild and acknowledged that she didn't want harm to come to them and has taken the advice offered on board. She obviously cares about these roosters and while what everyone has said is spot on from an animal health and welfare aspect, she's new to all this, came here for advice and we almost bite her head off... (IMHO).

Thinking back to when I first had sheep, it was totally beyond the realms of possibility that I'd ever eat them. But no such problem 14 years down the track and with a load more experience under my belt. ;-)

I hope she feels able to come back on the site and let us know how things work out. I reckon she'll find a good home for them.

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds