I thought this was dangerous

More
12 years 4 months ago #406463 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic I thought this was dangerous
Creation and evolution can co-exist. The only assumption that needs to be made is that one day in God's time is 2 billion years in our human time. A human lifetime is then just a nano-blip in God's time.

Breeding chickens is evolution unfolding before my eyes and this applies to all life stock - if people keep their eyes open, that is.

eelcat - very well done. Unfortunately the only farm tour I've ever had was done by someone who had no idea what they were doing. Back then I was only a novice to poultry breeding and small scale farming but even then I thought to myself that what this person is saying doesn't make sense.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #406474 by terralee

thevarneys;402315 wrote: Shall we tell Ruth she can come out from under her desk? :D

Yeah ...get out from under that there desk Ruth:rolleyes:[}:)][:0][;)]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
12 years 4 months ago #406476 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic I thought this was dangerous
oh well :) at least i tried to get the point across .. and at least they did reply and not just leave it unanswered so that it didnt show up on the auction
The point is there , and everyone can see it , so its buyer beware i guess , and if it flattens them as it gets older , then their problem

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 4 months ago #406478 by Hawkspur
Well done Stu. At least they did answer your question, but I hope the animal goes to someone experienced - not someone who thinks the lamb will be a cute friendly ram.

More
12 years 4 months ago #406480 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic I thought this was dangerous
Experience doesn't necessarily save you from being bowled by a surprisingly determined and suddenly insane animal. Experience tells you things are about to get very nasty and it would have been a good idea to have stayed out of the paddock, by which time it is probably too late.

My point is, I am relatively experienced with sheep, but that didn't stop me being taken entirely by surprise by the intensity of the intent of a ram which had turned into something worthy of the worst horror movies! I know rams can break kneecaps. I know they can bowl people. What I didn't realise, was that they can turn into intensely determined creatures which form an unshakeable determination to kill you and will go to almost any ends to accomplish that aim.

You can't tell people this stuff, for some reason. "My little lamb/doggy/calf ..."

More
12 years 4 months ago #406482 by SarahM
Replied by SarahM on topic I thought this was dangerous
We've got a "tame" ram. Sometimes he looks very docile, and he certainly was up until about a year of age.

These days he sends DH (over 100kg) flying on average once or twice a year. I won't go into his paddock at all, and there's no way in hell I'd let children near him.

Still, he's fairly well behaved compared to some really feral rams I've seen.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
12 years 4 months ago #406502 by Denneaux
I'm in firmly in the "rams make nasty pets" camp. But its a free world and they aren't breaking any laws. Caveat emptor, it the buyers responsibility to look after their own interests.
At this stage, it is just a little lamb. The buyer could wether it, or use it for a season and then eat it...a strategy I have used in the past when looking for an affordable ram. Took in a pet ram that was giving his family trouble, then turned him into sausages.
I would feel very uncomfortable if I stumbled across a thread discussing one of my auctions on trademe. No disrespect to the person who started the thread, but everytime I see one of these "look at this silly trader" threads and a link to the auction I get a bit antsy...just doesn't seem that polite!

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
12 years 4 months ago #406504 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic I thought this was dangerous
The polite internet. Now there's an oxymoron!

It seems to me that this is a very unusual forum, in that it is so polite!

More
12 years 4 months ago #406507 by Cinsara

Simkin;402339 wrote: Creation and evolution can co-exist. The only assumption that needs to be made is that one day in God's time is 2 billion years in our human time. A human lifetime is then just a nano-blip in God's time.

I call my God "Universal Consiousness" and I agree with you entirely Simkin, time is relative, here it means 24/7/365 but that is controlled by our moon. Who knows what time means elsewhere or if it even exists in the ether. It amuses me when people assume the 7 days mentioned in the bible means 24 hour days. Who the hell would know that [;)]

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 4 months ago #406514 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic I thought this was dangerous
The only person that should buy this lamb as a possible stud ram, should be a sheep farmer with half a dozen trained sheep dogs to move the animal when required. I wouldn't want to be in the same paddock as that ram in the future, without riding on a quad bike or horse and the protection of forceful dogs. I reckon he's going to need a serious attitude adjustment when he grows up and shouldn't be bought by any LSB owner.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
12 years 4 months ago #406532 by Simkin

Denneaux;402380 wrote:
I would feel very uncomfortable if I stumbled across a thread discussing one of my auctions on trademe.

Me too[:I]. However, I hoped that someone with a bit more experience than me would ask a question so that possible buyers stop and think. Thanks, Stu - that'll do :)

10 years ago, when we bought our very first sheep, I would have been very interested in such a ram. Fortunately, we didn't have Internet then, otherwise we probably would have ended up with such a ram. I don't want to think about the possible consequences as we had our ram with the 2 ewes 24/7/365 and had the kids play in the paddock. I also went into that paddock to collect kindling and to pull out foxglove with the ram watching from a distance. We scooped up the lambs, ram watching. No - rather not think what could have happened with a ram that had no fear of humans[xx(].

More
12 years 4 months ago #406534 by Simkin
Oh, Denneaux, I once stumbled across a thread on the TradeMe Forum discussing one of my auctions so I do know what it feels like[B)].

More
12 years 4 months ago #406536 by highgirl

Denneaux;402380 wrote: I'm in firmly in the "rams make nasty pets" camp. But its a free world and they aren't breaking any laws. Caveat emptor, it the buyers responsibility to look after their own interests.
At this stage, it is just a little lamb. The buyer could wether it, or use it for a season and then eat it...a strategy I have used in the past when looking for an affordable ram. Took in a pet ram that was giving his family trouble, then turned him into sausages.
I would feel very uncomfortable if I stumbled across a thread discussing one of my auctions on trademe. No disrespect to the person who started the thread, but everytime I see one of these "look at this silly trader" threads and a link to the auction I get a bit antsy...just doesn't seem that polite!

It could be seen to be a mean to the trader, but nothing really rude has been said and I think it is important because it does raise a very important issue. It's good to keep the whole pet ram thing in the front of peoples minds because they are easy to get as pets by unsuspecting/ignorant people. I'm always blown away when I hear Ruth's story [:0]

More
12 years 4 months ago #406559 by Simkin

highgirl;402418 wrote: I'm always blown away when I hear Ruth's story [:0]

I do know of a guy who was killed by a pet ram. Charged from behind and broke his back. It was the first time the once tame ram charged, it was totally unexpected and the guy who was killed was an old farmer.

More
12 years 4 months ago #406566 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic I thought this was dangerous
The wife of one of our local poultry club members was killed by a ram, while she was just walking down to the letter box to get the mail. They were small farmers, retired from farm life-so not ignorant to the dangers either.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds